Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am terrified of even thinking about a front tire failure at highway speed. I would, at least, immediately put new tires on the front axle.

If you have a tire failure on the rear axle, it will possibly cost you thousands of dollars. If you have a tire failure on the front axle, it will possibly cost you and your love ones your lives.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #44

Having once had a blowout/tire separation on a vacation with 7 to 8 year old tires which had plenty of tread still them some 14 years ago, I now change out the tires every 6ish years, regardless of wear. I think of it as just another form of insurance. The damage caused by the tire separation was significant, with damage to the fender, the wall, some wire, and my nerves. We lost a few days of vacation time, as it was a weekend and a new tire had to be found and shipped in.
JMHO

Old 04-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Some replace their tires at 5 years no matter what, some at 7 years and still others at 10 years. Then there are those that will have them inspected and decide from there when to replace. It's really up to your comfort level on this issue.
The 5 & 7 year replacers have too much money if an OEM says 10yrs is the expected service life. Its like folks that change their oil far too early or often. They think they are doing something proactive but in reality there is no reason not to get 10yrs out of a set of tires when properly inflated & covered when stored.

Now you'll get the "catastrophic accident" posters saying Im a loon.
I laugh at the recos... Ive put 40k on 8yr old tires. Gona keep them til 2015 when I will have met the manufacturers recommended replacement time frame.

For the record... Ive been in a violent RV accident & know what happens when a tire (or 2) gets blown.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I am terrified of even thinking about a front tire failure at highway speed. I would, at least, immediately put new tires on the front axle.

If you have a tire failure on the rear axle, it will possibly cost you thousands of dollars. If you have a tire failure on the front axle, it will possibly cost you and your love ones your lives.

Jim
Heres what I suggest. Take a big rig driving course and become familiar with "panic situations". A course costs maybe $1300 USD. Or 2 tires. Which do you think will benefit you in the long run??
Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Is there any reason why we can't use inner tube?

When I was younger (45 - 50 years ago), we wear the tire to the bare bone, people use inner tube.
I'm not the technical expert to answer this question but I'm pretty sure the answer is that we're not talking about just being able to keep 30 pounds of air in the tires on our old jalopies to kick around town. We're talking about something much more serious. If an old, cracked sidewall gives way on a motorhome steer tire at highway speeds... an inner tube will be of little help and not seem like a very "thrifty" idea any longer.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 AM   #48
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

When I was younger (45 - 50 years ago), we wear the tire to the bare bone, people use inner tube.
Yes, there is a reason to not use a tube in a tubeless tire and it is well documented...failure due to friction heat build-up.

The inner wall of a tubeless tire is very different from the inside of an older designed tire. If you use a tube inside a tubeless tire, each rotation will cause friction between the tire and the tube. Heat will build up and ultimately will cause a blowout.

A quick internet search will expound on the subject.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Quote:

Inner tubes are made of a special type of rubber that is better able to retain air than the rubber used in the rest of the tire. Different types of rubber have different performance characteristics. Some wear better, some have better energy (fuel economy) performance, some are real good in ice & snow. All of these and other types also have negatives. Some might be bad wear, easy to cut, create more heat etc.

The challenge for the tire engineer is to balance the performance trade-offs.

The invention of the "Tubeless" tire allowed the elimination of the separate tube. Most of today's tires have rubber that is very similar to the rubber used in tubes on the interior of the tire. This is called the "innerliner". A major advantage is that if you get a puncture in a tubeless tire the innerliner doesn't rip like a tube would, so you have less chance of a true "Blowout".

Using a tube in a tubeless tire creates some problems. It increases heat & cost. It also can temporarily trap air between the tube and the tubeless tire innerliner but this air will leak out around the valve hole over the next few days which means you would need to check the air pressure every day for many days to ensure proper inflation.

I have trouble thinking of any circumstance where using a tube in a tubeless tire would be a good thing.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #50

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer is a bit like the drive train/engine warranty on the one and only new car I ever bought.. 24 months or 24,000 miles (Ate two valves at 23,700 miles it did

Years or Miles.. When it hits the limit, of either, replace them.

True story.. about 9 days ago I blew a tire.. SO I put the spare on and next day stopped in at Wal*mart.. Told the man I needed a new tire.. He goes on and on about how they plug 'em.. I finally showed him some things about the tire that concerned me and finally he said "Well, given that perhaps you should replace it" (Recall I told him I wanted a new tire at the start).. Took him long enough to agree with me.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #51

Question for you guys that bought the Michelins. I ordered 6 for the rear of my coach today. FMCA price of about $627 + 50 for the Fed Tax. Is this the right price or is the FMCA price negotiable?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
I just replaced my 2006 tires on a 98 Adventurer. The were on it when I bought it a little over a year ago, RV has a total of 35K miles on it. Tires looked good, tons of tread. But upon inspection, the insides were cracked and breaking down. They were also rock hard. The new ones ride smooth and quiet. I'm glad I had them looked at, before I head to South Dakota with it.
Fatfendr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfendr38 View Post
I just replaced my 2006 tires on a 98 Adventurer. The were on it when I bought it a little over a year ago, RV has a total of 35K miles on it. Tires looked good, tons of tread. But upon inspection, the insides were cracked and breaking down. They were also rock hard. The new ones ride smooth and quiet. I'm glad I had them looked at, before I head to South Dakota with it.

Excellent answer on why Micheilin says to have tires inspected at 5 years. If OK keep them but you should have them inspected annually till 10 years them replace.

Visual of outside only can give false sense of security.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS
Question for you guys that bought the Michelins. I ordered 6 for the rear of my coach today. FMCA price of about $627 + 50 for the Fed Tax. Is this the right price or is the FMCA price negotiable?
Size matters....
But the FMCA price online was within cents of actual price. Not negotiable to my knowledge.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #55

The date of manufacture is on the side walls. If they do not show any signs of cracking and plenty of tread why change them. I bought my RV 4 years ago and was told they had new tires and they look new, plenty of tread, at the start of this season I noticed the side walls are starting to get little cracks in it...time to replace. My RV only has 13,000 miles. I have read that if you cover them and drive on them more often it will prolong the life of the tire, at least the cracking part (driving on them is supposed to keep them more flexible).
Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
What about airless tires

Reading various posts here remind me of an airless tire.

Many years ago, I read an article about creating an airless tire, The article shown a set of tire mounted on a military vehicle. (gosh... maybe twenty some-odd years ago).

The outside of the tire is same as a regular tire. Inside of this tire is millions small rubber ball all fused together, those little rubber balls made strong so it can hold up military truck. Additionally, there was a honey comb version. These tires are immune to blow out. The military truck ran through a dozen nails. NO BLOWOUT.

I wonder whatever happen to that one? Seem like a good idea. Anybody knows?

Tags
replace, tires