Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Replace them

No question about it

On an RV it's age that matters and those tires are past due

They can and will fail at any time without warning and the others will still look just like new

You don't want to know how I know

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #58

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Definitely on any Type of RV ,MH, TT, 5Thrs, you will almost neverer get enough millage to wear your tires, with my old Winnebago during a heat wave I have blown 2 front tires in less than 1 1/2 hrs about 100 milles (from Wichester to Hazelton PA) including my spare tire that was brand new. After getting all fixed thanks to GS, we hit the road the next morning and yes we blow an other back wheel tire , NOTE: All where Michelin , well care for, always protected with covers, and I always have the. Good inflation, tires where 7 1/2 to 8 years, like I said they all look new less than 25K. Save yourself lots of stress and pain, and changed tires after 7 years, not to mentionned that one part of tires hit the transmission cable that needed repair.
Budget $700. A year for tires and you will feel safe.
Mike

Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #59
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Reading various posts here remind me of an airless tire.

Many years ago, I read an article about creating an airless tire, The article shown a set of tire mounted on a military vehicle. (gosh... maybe twenty some-odd years ago).

The outside of the tire is same as a regular tire. Inside of this tire is millions small rubber ball all fused together, those little rubber balls made strong so it can hold up military truck. Additionally, there was a honey comb version. These tires are immune to blow out. The military truck ran through a dozen nails. NO BLOWOUT.

I wonder whatever happen to that one? Seem like a good idea. Anybody knows?

As with most things there are trade-offs. I worked on a few similar "run-flat" tires i.e. tires that could operate without air or after loosing air.

Primary negative is cost. Air is essentially free while rubber balls, foam, aluminum rings etc are all expensive. Sometimes there are speed limits of 10 mph max even if cost is no object. Other times heat generation is the stumbling block.

Today you can get "run-flat" tires for your sports car. They need air but can run 50 miles at 50 mph then are scrap and oh yes they only cost 30% to 60% more than regular tires.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #60

covering and dressing rv tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi kkriepke,
jablair's post beat me to the answer. Which ever comes first. On the age thing, One must do what allows one to sleep at night. For tires I've had since they were new, I have been going 10 years I if can make it that long. (Since the 1970's.) I've been fortunate to be one of the few that sometimes wears the tread out.

In the interest of full disclosure, I meticulously maintain the coach tires. PSI for the weight being carried, tire dressing and covered when not in motion. My coach stays on the interstate highways getting me from resort "A" to resort "B".

Because you have not been the owner since the tires were new, for me, at 7 years I'd be looking to replace them. One never knows the real history without having been there. To minimize the cost, consider replacing the steer tires, the following year the drive tires and if you have a tag do that the 3rd year.
I been told and think I have read that the Goodyear recommends not using any tire dressing and not covering them. any comments
Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Airless tire -no blow out

https://www.google.com/search?q=airl...+tire&tbm=isch

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ijVVNjCfkP...tires+1999.jpg
Old 04-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landtrv View Post
I been told and think I have read that the Goodyear recommends not using any tire dressing and not covering them. any comments
Problem with dressing is most do not do as advertised and can remove the protection provided by the tire company.

Who told you not to cover the tires? Makes no sense to me.

I have posts on my blog on the advantages of white covers for BOTH heat and UV protection.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9

Problem with dressing is most do not do as advertised and can remove the protection provided by the tire company.
So the money answer would be - which ones do as advertised - assuming most don't means "not all" - some must. 303 seemed to be fine on my GY 670's - but I'm not sure I should use it on my new Michelins. I did not see it in writing by Micheline - but someone indicated they no longer suggest 303 for their tires. Any idea?
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #64

I dont care what anyone says, cover your tires if parked. UV is a killer. If it cant get to your tires, they are better off.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

Who told you not to cover the tires? Makes no sense to me.

I have posts on my blog on the advantages of white covers for BOTH heat and UV protection.

I don't remember who told or their reasons but I do remwember their logic made sense at the time
Old 04-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #66

Just had new tires put on Friday. I asked the tire guy if there was anything short of covering the tires that would stop them from cracking prematurely, he said no. He said that even if you park it in a warehouse you should cover them if you are not using the RV regularly.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #67

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
Just had new tires put on Friday. I asked the tire guy if there was anything short of covering the tires that would stop them from cracking prematurely, he said no. He said that even if you park it in a warehouse you should cover them if you are not using the RV regularly.
I still say that UV radiation is the worst culprit and tend to be worse with vehicles that sit still a lot. After all, companies go to great lengths with including carbon black in the chemistry of manufacturing and the main reason tires are black to begin with.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by landtrv View Post
imagine that... an OEM giving advice that wont get max service life.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
He's a tire engineer or jockey?

I see 40' city buses that are running 9+ yr old tires. Even looked at my friends heavy truck shop customers tires on tour buses... some had 12yr old tires. They also had cracked leaf springs that the operator refused to fix... just opted for the cheaper air spring repair. You dont even want to know whats on 53' long trailers.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #70

I agree that time is the answer the majority of the time. We put 4 Michelin tires on the rear of our coach in April of 2013 and one of the dual blew out the sidewall in March of 2014 in Texas. They have had very good care and less than 6,000 miles. Of course this happens on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of nowhere!!!!

Good news is Michelin stepped up and replaced the tire at a shop in New Mexico

Tags
replace, tires