Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is good PR on their part... That's assuming you can get the damn things.... there are NO Michelin XZA tires in Colorado at all. I have been offered continental as a replacement but am hesitant to change. But i've gotta do something b4 I take that first long trip in May.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #72
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I still say that UV radiation is the worst culprit and tend to be worse with vehicles that sit still a lot. After all, companies go to great lengths with including carbon black in the chemistry of manufacturing and the main reason tires are black to begin with.

While Carbon Black can help protect rubber from the effects of UV, I have a bit of a problem with the statement "main reason".
The different forms of carbon black used in tires are PRIMARILY for reinforcement (strength) and being a low cost "filler". UV protection is a chance benefit to the use of carbon black. Simply increasing the amount of black does not improve the level of protection. Also the carbon does not migrate to the tire surface as the actual oils and waxes that are the major protectants do.

I consider heat to be the primary degradant of rubber structure as it can result in a tire failure in days, hours or even minutes. UV takes years to damage just the outer surface of a tire while heat can attack the buried structural backbone of a tire.

White tire covers are a proven method of lowering the temperature of a tire while in storage when exposed to the sun. A side benefit to such a cover is the 90+% reduction in any UV attack on the tire surface.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
While Carbon Black can help protect rubber from the effects of UV, I have a bit of a problem with the statement "main reason".
The different forms of carbon black used in tires are PRIMARILY for reinforcement (strength) and being a low cost "filler". UV protection is a chance benefit to the use of carbon black. Simply increasing the amount of black does not improve the level of protection. Also the carbon does not migrate to the tire surface as the actual oils and waxes that are the major protectants do.

I consider heat to be the primary degradant of rubber structure as it can result in a tire failure in days, hours or even minutes. UV takes years to damage just the outer surface of a tire while heat can attack the buried structural backbone of a tire.

White tire covers are a proven method of lowering the temperature of a tire while in storage when exposed to the sun. A side benefit to such a cover is the 90+% reduction in any UV attack on the tire surface.
Or you can live in Washington State on the west side where the sun never shines
Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkriepke View Post
That is good PR on their part... That's assuming you can get the damn things.... there are NO Michelin XZA tires in Colorado at all. I have been offered continental as a replacement but am hesitant to change. But i've gotta do something b4 I take that first long trip in May.
I tried to buy some here in Wa State and got the same thing. Michelin XZE2+ are available and that is what iM going with.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #75

If you let your rv sit alot then yes you will need to change them according to time. If like us, you drive it every month and keep the oils and lunricants mixed you will put more mile and not change them by time.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #76

Question - outside dual in the sun seems to "weather" at the same rate as the inside dual that is out of the sun....makes me wonder about the covering tire theory?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #77
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
Question - outside dual in the sun seems to "weather" at the same rate as the inside dual that is out of the sun....makes me wonder about the covering tire theory?

Sidewall cracking i.e. weathering is not just a function of UV. I have seen tires destroyed by Ozone in just a few months under special cercumstances (parking in a garage with an aquarium Ozinator).

Many cities have Ozone problems.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
I am curious about the "best before" date that tire manufacturers are encouraging.

I watched a program about how tires are made. The program was a while ago so memory being what it is. . . . I came away with the information (simplistic) that basically there were three tires 1) an inner tire to hold air, 2) the belts for strength, and 3) the outer tire for wear.

During the program I recall one of the technicians saying that tires would last better if they were used regularly so the oils were massaged and the tire remained flexible.

Also the belts etc were more susceptible to abuse (overheating, road hazard) than age.

Most of the tire explosions I have heard of are because the tire was being run on low air pressure and heated up.

If one maintains them well should they not last? If there is no checking, the tire holds air pressure consistently and is run regularly should there be an issue?

What if the tire is re-capped? Does that restart the best before date?

Our kids throw food away that they claim is expired because the best before date is passed.

Just saying. . . . .
Old 04-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #79
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I am curious about the "best before" date that tire manufacturers are encouraging.

I watched a program about how tires are made. The program was a while ago so memory being what it is. . . . I came away with the information (simplistic) that basically there were three tires 1) an inner tire to hold air, 2) the belts for strength, and 3) the outer tire for wear.

During the program I recall one of the technicians saying that tires would last better if they were used regularly so the oils were massaged and the tire remained flexible.

Also the belts etc were more susceptible to abuse (overheating, road hazard) than age.

Most of the tire explosions I have heard of are because the tire was being run on low air pressure and heated up.

If one maintains them well should they not last? If there is no checking, the tire holds air pressure consistently and is run regularly should there be an issue?

What if the tire is re-capped? Does that restart the best before date?

Our kids throw food away that they claim is expired because the best before date is passed.

Just saying. . . . .
A number of different points.
Basically you are correct the "Innerliner" is special rubber much like what was used in tire tubes, that has lower air permiability that the rubber used in the rest of the tire. It is however very bad for tear and has poor wear and would cut fuel economy if more was used. It's expensive too.

The "Carcas" includes the body ply and belt ply. this part gives the tire strength to hold the air pressure, and it is the air pressure that supports the load. The steel belts in a radial improve puncture resistance and improve steering response over older "Bias" body tires with no belts.

The outer surface has two basic parts. The tread gives long wear and traction and the sidewall rubber protects the body ply in the sidewall. You may not know that race tires have no sidewall rubber like street tires as they are not expected to rub against the curb and the tire life is measured in minutes and hours not years so there is little need for UV or Ozone protection. Sidewall rubber will also slow down heat rejection which would make a race tire with sidewall run hotter which would hurt lat time.

Retreading makes sense when a tire is designed for the process and high miles is the main purpose in its life but there are almost no RVs running 100,000 miles a year so RV tires are not re-treaded. I cover retreads in THIS post.

Tire age is not just the calender age. Rubber age rate is NOT constant. It increases with temperature. I cover this concept in THIS post.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #80

FYI - I recently spoke w/ Michelin on the 275 70r 22.2 XZA2's. Rep said 5 year life on tire. Nice for them on selling more tires! Ed
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaa53 View Post
FYI - I recently spoke w/ Michelin on the 275 70r 22.2 XZA2's. Rep said 5 year life on tire. Nice for them on selling more tires! Ed

Not sure how the reps statement squares with the first page in the Michelin RV Handbook:

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby

Not sure how the reps statement squares with the first page in the Michelin RV Handbook:

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
He hadn't completed his training or the assigned reading.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Really interesting discussion. Wonder how much of the age specification has to do with selling more tires and avoiding law suits?

Parallel example (sort of). Friend bought a BMW 850. Oil changes were required every 3000 miles. Next year bought a X5 SUV. Difference was the X5 came with oil changes included. The new requirement was now 12,000 miles.

Makes me wonder??
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Really interesting discussion. Wonder how much of the age specification has to do with selling more tires and avoiding law suits?

Parallel example (sort of). Friend bought a BMW 850. Oil changes were required every 3000 miles. Next year bought a X5 SUV. Difference was the X5 came with oil changes included. The new requirement was now 12,000 miles.

Makes me wonder??
Probably the 850 is a early 90's car that did not use synthetic oil while the newer BMW's do and change 12,000 or yearly whichever comes first just guessing.

Tags
replace, tires