Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
You know call it crazy but that's not a totally crazy point In my view here In bc we don't get the heat the temperature is very steady I would hedge to geuss that climate is a big factor to tire life
I agree, look at coaches that live in Arizona or Florida. Check the decals or the tires...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #114

New RV owner, replacing all 6 of the 22.5 tires on 05 Pace Arrow now using the FMCA Michelin Advantage program. Is it important to have the rear tires balanced? THX!!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #115

When I replace my tires I always have all tires balanced. One time I didn't have the rears done and you could feel the vibration. Had them balanced and no more vibration.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #116
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClassA View Post
New RV owner, replacing all 6 of the 22.5 tires on 05 Pace Arrow now using the FMCA Michelin Advantage program. Is it important to have the rear tires balanced? THX!!
You can ask the dealer the cost to balance at time of tire purchase vs the cost to come back later when the tires have to be removed from coach and then balanced. I think you might be surprised at the difference, never mind your time and cost to drive to dealer.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #117

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
When I replace my tires I always have all tires balanced. One time I didn't have the rears done and you could feel the vibration. Had them balanced and no more vibration.
I have unbalanced steer tires that were mounted on the side of a busy Atlanta highway. Not 1 single shimmy, vibration, or issue.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I have unbalanced steer tires that were mounted on the side of a busy Atlanta highway. Not 1 single shimmy, vibration, or issue.

Front tires? Hard to fathom they would ride smooth without balancing
Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #119

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
against all odd

Quote:
They have a book or a movie by that title. "Against ALL Odd"
Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Front tires? Hard to fathom they would ride smooth without balancing
Well if you'd like to wager some cash on it instead of rolling your internet eyes... I current have 1700 miles on "unbalanced" tires. You could not tell.
Local stealers have quoted me $50 per wheel to balance. All flat refused to use anything but stick on weights or give me a money back guarantee if I cant tell a difference.

But what do I know... only been in this hobby 8yrs/50000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
They have a book or a movie by that title. "Against ALL Odd"
Interesting. Is that written by the 5 year tire cryers? The nervous nellies that have NEVER driven a 50,000lb vehicle in an aggressive manner? Fear monster mongers?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #121

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting. Is that written by the 5 year tire cryers? The nervous nellies that have NEVER driven a 50,000lb vehicle in an aggressive manner? Fear monster mongers?
I don't know if you are dissing everyone who follows Michelin's (and other tire makers) advice to inspect older tires and replace any that reach the 10 year point, or only those who claim that 5 years is the "magic number" for replacement.

There are published statements from Michelin about the lifetime of RV tires and I, for one, intend to follow them and I don't consider myself a "nervous nellie".

I agree that some people on this and other forums have taken an approach which is akin to "if replacing every 7-10 years is good, then replacing every 5 years is better." If you followed that logic you'd replace them every year when you got your oil changed!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #122

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I don't know if you are dissing everyone who follows Michelin's (and other tire makers) advice to inspect older tires and replace any that reach the 10 year point, or only those who claim that 5 years is the "magic number" for replacement.

There are published statements from Michelin about the lifetime of RV tires and I, for one, intend to follow them and I don't consider myself a "nervous nellie".

I agree that some people on this and other forums have taken an approach which is akin to "if replacing every 7-10 years is good, then replacing every 5 years is better." If you followed that logic you'd replace them every year when you got your oil changed!
Ive read Michelins RV tire literature. They give a 10yr lifespan... if all goes well & there are no issues, regardless of mileage. I know my remaining michelins have another 18 months left on them as prescribed... I intend to use that time to acquire the remaining replacements.

The nervous nellies are the ones that must cite the most obtuse and catastrophic failures to illustrate their point and generally don't have any practical experience to back up the claims. Im suprised they can get out of the driveway as there might be a drunken dump truck driver with 14yr old michelins barreling down the block.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #123

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

The nervous nellies are the ones that must cite the most obtuse and catastrophic failures to illustrate their point and generally don't have any practical experience to back up the claims. Im suprised they can get out of the driveway as there might be a drunken dump truck driver with 14yr old michelins barreling down the block.

Agreed. Unfortunately, some people on these forums lose sight of the fact that what usually gets posted are problems. Rarely do people post to say that they've had no problems at all this year. As a result, fears get multiplied in people's minds because all they read about are people having problems and they begin to assume that such problems are the norm.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #124

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Red face Tire phobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately, some people on these forums lose sight of the fact that what usually gets posted are problems. Rarely do people post to say that they've had no problems at all this year. As a result, fears get multiplied in people's minds because all they read about are people having problems and they begin to assume that such problems are the norm.
Excellent Point !, You describe me perfectly; I was getting tire-phobia(?) until I see this. whew ...what a relieve. Thank you...thank you ...thank you.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #125

Quote:
Well if you'd like to wager some cash on it instead of rolling your internet eyes... I current have 1700 miles on "unbalanced" tires. You could not tell.
Local stealers have quoted me $50 per wheel to balance. All flat refused to use anything but stick on weights or give me a money back guarantee if I cant tell a difference.

But what do I know... only been in this hobby 8yrs/50000 miles.

The chances of getting two perfectly balanced tires for the front, are pretty remote at best. Not saying it isnt possible, just eerily unlikely. Shrugs, I may be wrong but Im in the majority. No one that I know of recommends unbalanced tires for steering.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
The chances of getting two perfectly balanced tires for the front, are pretty remote at best. Not saying it isnt possible, just eerily unlikely. Shrugs, I may be wrong but Im in the majority. No one that I know of recommends unbalanced tires for steering.
I have to agree with SeattlePirat about the chances of getting two perfectly balanced tires but can also agree with WeatherTodd.

A question for WeatherTodd would be the speed he normally travels at. Maintaining a moderate speed while traveling would reduce the chances of an unbalanced tire starting to shimmy or vibrate. Those of us who travel at a leisurely pace may have a reduced need to balance the large size tires.

I spent years working in construction zones. Many times when traveling through them in the rain the wheels would pick up mud inside the rim. Coming up to speed on the highway the wheels would often start to "bounce". Changing speed would change the "bounce". I would adjust my speed to get the best ride while driving straight to a car wash.

Tags
replace, tires