Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replace tires by age or Miles?

I purchased a 2007 Vectra pusher that has only 38,000 miles. The tires, 22.5" Michelin XZE, are original. So the question.... when should I consider replacement? The tread is still fine and deep, and I see no signs of abuse or major wear in the tread area. My untrained eyes do not see any evidence of cracking or crazing in the sidewall areas.
kkriepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is that Motorhome tires are almost always replaced because of time and not miles. Michelin says that theirs should be replaced at 10 years but that's if you have them broken down and inspected... I believe.

I think it's time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Which ever comes first. With any RV and especially motor homes it is almost always going to be age.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kkriepke,
jablair's post beat me to the answer. Which ever comes first. On the age thing, One must do what allows one to sleep at night. For tires I've had since they were new, I have been going 10 years I if can make it that long. (Since the 1970's.) I've been fortunate to be one of the few that sometimes wears the tread out.

In the interest of full disclosure, I meticulously maintain the coach tires. PSI for the weight being carried, tire dressing and covered when not in motion. My coach stays on the interstate highways getting me from resort "A" to resort "B".

Because you have not been the owner since the tires were new, for me, at 7 years I'd be looking to replace them. One never knows the real history without having been there. To minimize the cost, consider replacing the steer tires, the following year the drive tires and if you have a tag do that the 3rd year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

replace tires

I just purchaced 2007 travel supreme alanta 45ft. with 38,000 miles and just replaced all 8 tires 7 years is the safe limit I went thru FMCA advantage plan if not a member join I was quoted $720.00 ea but FMCA price was $580. ea. Happy traveling in your new coach. Pete
Sirmowsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It's time to replace them. Sorry...$$$

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The XZA tires are recommended to be replaced at 10 years with inside inspections after 7 years, per Michelins web site. Mine were kept in inside storage but at the end of 7 years they started riding harder than rocks so I replaced them. I got my old "new coach" ride back and I was happy. If they hadn't starting riding so rough I would have kept going on them. That proved to me that rubber does get stiff with age. BTW, that was on my 02 Travel Supreme.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #8

What is the birthday of the tires? Probably '05 or '06 on a 2007 titled rig. I would encourage you to use the search window at the top of this page to reveal lots of discussion on this.

Purchasing a used rig, you have no idea if the coach was driven overweight or underinflated at some point. Depending on which campfire you sit around, the age limit for RV tires is 5 years to 10 years (with off the rim inspection by a professional each year after 5 years.) Tire failure is expensive and sometimes painful due to injuries from an accident. IMO a visit to the tire shop should be in your future.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi kkriepke, jablair's post beat me to the answer. Which ever comes first. On the age thing, One must do what allows one to sleep at night. For tires I've had since they were new, I have been going 10 years I if can make it that long. (Since the 1970's.) I've been fortunate to be one of the few that sometimes wears the tread out. In the interest of full disclosure, I meticulously maintain the coach tires. PSI for the weight being carried, tire dressing and covered when not in motion. My coach stays on the interstate highways getting me from resort "A" to resort "B". Because you have not been the owner since the tires were new, for me, at 7 years I'd be looking to replace them. One never knows the real history without having been there. To minimize the cost, consider replacing the steer tires, the following year the drive tires and if you have a tag do that the 3rd year.
GaryKD is on the mark with this post. His advise is exactly what I do. Steer tires at 7, drive at 8 and tag at 9. If I'm lucky & have no issues. I also am anal about tire inflation and run a TP,S.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #10

I just replaced the 11year old goodyears on my 04. Original tires with plenty of tread with only 25k mi on them. It was amazing to see those tires go away with tons of tread but the softer ride and quietness of the new ones is wonderful!! Plus the piece of mind of not having to worry about when the BOOM was going to happen. 6 yokohama's for $3000 OTD.

The answer to your question is most probably age.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #11

When you do replace the tires, more and more tire people are saying do not use any dressing or spray on them. Wash with soapy water and rinse with clean water and let dry.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
When you do replace the tires, more and more tire people are saying do not use any dressing or spray on them. Wash with soapy water and rinse with clean water and let dry.
That's what Goodyear and Michelin state on their websites.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been in touch with the original owner, and he states that the vast majority of the miles are highway miles. They were full-timers in the coach since it was brand new. The tires were always covered by "SunPro" mesh covers except when actually on the road. I will plan to replace the steer tires at the beginning of the 2015 camping season, and the drive tires at the beginning of the 2016 camping season. That seems to be a fair compromise with all the good advice I received here.... thanks to all. I WILL, however pop for the cost to have the existing tires inspected by my local Michelin shop.
kkriepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Some replace their tires at 5 years no matter what, some at 7 years and still others at 10 years. Then there are those that will have them inspected and decide from there when to replace. It's really up to your comfort level on this issue.

Tags
replace, tires