Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi kkriepke,
jablair's post beat me to the answer. Which ever comes first. On the age thing, One must do what allows one to sleep at night. For tires I've had since they were new, I have been going 10 years I if can make it that long. (Since the 1970's.) I've been fortunate to be one of the few that sometimes wears the tread out.

In the interest of full disclosure, I meticulously maintain the coach tires. PSI for the weight being carried, tire dressing and covered when not in motion. My coach stays on the interstate highways getting me from resort "A" to resort "B".

Because you have not been the owner since the tires were new, for me, at 7 years I'd be looking to replace them. One never knows the real history without having been there. To minimize the cost, consider replacing the steer tires, the following year the drive tires and if you have a tag do that the 3rd year.

Not just for the OP, but all owners of new used coaches, this is sound advice. And also, be sure you check for the actual date of the tires. A 2007 coach, could have 2006 tires.

When in doubt, swap them out. And from year 7 thru 10, for Michelins, yearly dismount inspections from a qualified Michelin tire center is appriate.

Also factor the costs of 7 years of usage vs 10 years of usage. If you look at that last three years of usage and then abandon them by putting new shoes on - you could consider that costs sort of as 'insurance'.

A blown tire can cause thousands of dollars of damage, and more important, loss of life. So is that extra three years of usage worth the risk? It's a judgement call that only individuals can make.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Age of tire should be written with a 4 digits number firts 2 the week of fabrication the other 2 the year of fabrication, per example. 3406 would mean 34th week 06 and I would change after 7 years.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77
And also, be sure you check for the actual date of the tires. A 2007 coach, could have 2006 tires.

Best to all,
Smitty
I just bought new Michelins in March of 2014 - all the date stamps were 2013 and a mixed bag of weeks. Apparently in North Tx (and elsewhere) the XZA2E 275/70R/22.5 are like hens teeth. My point here is that while my tires are 6 - 10 month old 2013's they are NEW and their life for warranty begins now.

So how does that work with the new '07 coach example? Are the tires a year old in the example or NEW in 2007 when the coach was purchased.

Should I decide to sell the coach in 5 or 6 years and the buyer is arguing the age of the tires - I'm going to be firm that they are 2014 despite the dates.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I just bought new Michelins in March of 2014 - all the date stamps were 2013 and a mixed bag of weeks. Apparently in North Tx (and elsewhere) the XZA2E 275/70R/22.5 are like hens teeth. My point here is that while my tires are 6 - 10 month old 2013's they are NEW and their life for warranty begins now.

So how does that work with the new '07 coach example? Are the tires a year old in the example or NEW in 2007 when the coach was purchased.

Should I decide to sell the coach in 5 or 6 years and the buyer is arguing the age of the tires - I'm going to be firm that they are 2014 despite the dates.
Two points:

First, Michelin told me that they would honor their warranty from the date I bought my new coach, inspite of the fact that the coach was bought 4/2007 and the tires were of a 2006 date code. I don't know if that's policy or just what the guy on the phone said he would do in my case.

Secondly, you're going to have a tough time convincing anyone that the tires aren't actually as old as the date code says they are.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Two points:

First, Michelin told me that they would honor their warranty from the date I bought my new coach, inspite of the fact that the coach was bought 4/2007 and the tires were of a 2006 date code. I don't know if that's policy or just what the guy on the phone said he would do in my case.

Secondly, you're going to have a tough time convincing anyone that the tires aren't actually as old as the date code says they are.

Rick
Probably the same hard time I gave the tire guy myself. In the end it the price was the price - they were sold to me as new not used or old - take it or leave and that will be my approach as well. The invoice will be my guide and what I offer. I never even looked at date stamps on 45 years of buying cars and 20 years of running my B-van. Hopefully past ignorance and performance will repeat.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Just replaced our duals a couple weeks ago...old ones were original w/'04 dots except one, an '03. I suspect the PO had a problem and installed a used tire. The fronts we replaced in '11 because of vibration problems and had the front end aligned by Josam Truck Frame and Alignment in Orlando...a shameless plug for a well deserved company.

Everyone's comfort level is different...I'm a believer in Michelin's 10 year philosophy as long as no other visual factors that would affect the tire's performance are present. One of the old tires had some side wall cracking but according to Michelin's chart, it was well within limits. There was no evidence of any cord showing, so I let it ride for 3 more years and it went the distance with no problems. I would not have done that on a steering tire however. I'll also add that none of these tires ever lost more than 2 psi on our five month, 13K mile trips (and that was probably due to checking the tire pressures at the start of every leg).

I will admit, that having ALL new tires on 'Squeaky' does have a comforting affect.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Let's not forget one very important point, nothing to do with millage, rubber itself has a life span, I have blown a brand new Michelin spare tire after only a few hundred miles, the tire repair shop man told me that the tire was as old as my Winnebago and that rubber loses it's properties after 7 years
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What Does Michelin Say

Among other things - they say this:
"It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone. However, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to the service-related evolution or other conditions found upon inspection or detected during use.

While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.

For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e., acquired by the consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer’s tire replacement recommendations, when specified (but not to exceed 10 years). The date when a tire was manufactured is located on the sidewall of each tire. Consumers should locate the Department of Transportation or DOT code on the tire that begins with DOT and ends with the week and year of manufacture. For example, a DOT code ending with “0304” indicates a tire made in the 3rd week (Jan) of 2004."

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv_en_us/toolbox/reference-material.jsp

I'm sticking with my tires with '13 date stamps as new as of 3/14 as if they were purchased on a new RV. Like the ones just replaced - with low miles - I will probably replace these at 7 years old - if there is no other reason to do so - which will be in 03/'21.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Again, good advice. I checked here in Denver, and there are NO Michelin XZA3+ tires in town and have to be ordered. I am waiting for a quote from a local truck tire store. They will sell, but not install or balance... I'm on my own there. My local Camping World store only handles the Goodyear brand in my load rating (H) so they are out. Don't know how much of a hassle it would be to subscribe to the Michelin Advantage program... Any opinions on GY - vs- Mich??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-side Rear Wheels & Light.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	59938  
kkriepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Replace the tires and get it over with. To inspect the tires on the inside annually after 5 to 7 years is absurd. By the time they are done with the inspection you could have bought two new tires with the money it would cost to inspect them.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #25

I just went through this exact case. Picked up an 07 with 31k miles. Michelin tires looked great but were 06 year tires. Kept thinking I would go one more year and then replace them. The more I thought about it, I wondered what that would really buy me at the cost of stressing out about it every mile I'm driving. I finally decided to just bite the bullet and get new tires. The risk of damage, or worse yet, an accident, just wasn't worth it. We just took a 2700 mile, month long trip and it was nice not worrying about the tires. Oh ya, they sure did ride better!

Jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
When you do replace the tires, more and more tire people are saying do not use any dressing or spray on them. Wash with soapy water and rinse with clean water and let dry.
Quite true. However non petroleum products are okay...I use Aerospace 303.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Quite true. However non petroleum products are okay...I use Aerospace 303.
X2 on 303.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never mind what they look like. Bought our 2002 coach last year with only 14000 miles on it and thought the original tires were fine because they looked new. Had steer tire explode on the interstate and pull the coach from the right lane into the left lane before getting it under control. Thank God nobody was beside us at that moment. New tires on her now and will be replacing at 7 years no matter what.

Tags
replace, tires