Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochmuth1957 View Post
Never mind what they look like. Bought our 2002 coach last year with only 14000 miles on it and thought the original tires were fine because they looked new. Had steer tire explode on the interstate and pull the coach from the right lane into the left lane before getting it under control. Thank God nobody was beside us at that moment. New tires on her now and will be replacing at 7 years no matter what.
It appended to me also with my old Winnebago, front left exploded , Good Sam road assistance got me back on the road using my new 12 years spare tire, but it also exploded 150 miles down the road, again GS got me back on the road but this time it was very expensive since it was on a Sunday night with no spare tire, worst the hub cap must have hit the transmission cable and bent it, had to do emergency repair to be able to put the transmission back to Drive position. DW wife was getting so nevous that she wanted to get home by plane, the next morning got a appointment and get installed new tires all around. And got the transmission wire fixed. Very expensive Sunday, should have listen to my friends and change tires every 7 years.
Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #30

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
Let's not forget one very important point, nothing to do with millage, rubber itself has a life span, I have blown a brand new Michelin spare tire after only a few hundred miles, the tire repair shop man told me that the tire was as old as my Winnebago and that rubber loses it's properties after 7 years
You might want to read RV Tire Safety: Why do tires fail?
where I explain the effect of heat on the rate of tire aging.

Increased load = increased heat
Increased speed = increased heat
Lower inflation = increased heat
Increased exposure to the Sun i.e. no white tire covers = increased heat
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #31

I'd say condition would be the main reason...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #32

Replacing RV tires

This thread is timely for many reasons. First off, I bought a new Kountry Star in 2004 and have 54000 miles on it. The XZA1 Michelins that came on the coach are in excellent nick. There are very very tiny cracks on the side walls but they have been there for a long time and according to Michelin, not a concern. The tread has another 100K at least left.

The motorhome has been kept under cover when not being used. I think this probably the reason there is no crazing.

Our other motorhome had Generals and they were terribly cracked at 6 years and we blew one tire. We had them inspected and replaced them in Eugene Or. They too had low miles. There is no doubt the cracking in the sidewalls contributed to the failure.

In as much as the 10 year period has been reach and inspite of the fact there are only microcracks which are not easily visible, we are replacing the tires. It is like a dagger to the heart to pull off those tires with good tread, no dry rot, and only minor cracking.

We are now faced with the high cost of new Michelins, going Japanese, going Korean, or using Chinese. A complete set of Michelins is 4900.00 or using the FMCA plan around 3600.00. The Japanese tires are around $3000 or the Chinese for around $2200.00

Trying to get a read on the quality is another thing. When seriously asking about the quality of the chinese products, the only negative responces come from Michelin users who probably never used the chinese tire in the the first place. Most actual users of chinese tires rate them as good a michelin tire. I have asked dealers about them and they say the ride may be harsher.

Aside from the cost, Michelin XZA xx seem to be back ordered and cant be bought at any price. We have heard that Michelin XZE +2 are a replacement but they have stiffer sidewalls resulting in a a harsher ride.

One last issue, Yokohamas, Toyo, Hankooks all can be ordered but usually take 2 or more weeks for delivery to the dealer. The chinese knockoffs can be gotten the next day. They seem to sell alot of the chinese tires.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
This thread is timely for many reasons. First off, I bought a new Kountry Star in 2004 and have 54000 miles on it. The XZA1 Michelins that came on the coach are in excellent nick. There are very very tiny cracks on the side walls but they have been there for a long time and according to Michelin, not a concern. The tread has another 100K at least left.

The motorhome has been kept under cover when not being used. I think this probably the reason there is no crazing.

Our other motorhome had Generals and they were terribly cracked at 6 years and we blew one tire. We had them inspected and replaced them in Eugene Or. They too had low miles. There is no doubt the cracking in the sidewalls contributed to the failure.

In as much as the 10 year period has been reach and inspite of the fact there are only microcracks which are not easily visible, we are replacing the tires. It is like a dagger to the heart to pull off those tires with good tread, no dry rot, and only minor cracking.

We are now faced with the high cost of new Michelins, going Japanese, going Korean, or using Chinese. A complete set of Michelins is 4900.00 or using the FMCA plan around 3600.00. The Japanese tires are around $3000 or the Chinese for around $2200.00

Trying to get a read on the quality is another thing. When seriously asking about the quality of the chinese products, the only negative responces come from Michelin users who probably never used the chinese tire in the the first place. Most actual users of chinese tires rate them as good a michelin tire. I have asked dealers about them and they say the ride may be harsher.

Aside from the cost, Michelin XZA xx seem to be back ordered and cant be bought at any price. We have heard that Michelin XZE +2 are a replacement but they have stiffer sidewalls resulting in a a harsher ride.

One last issue, Yokohamas, Toyo, Hankooks all can be ordered but usually take 2 or more weeks for delivery to the dealer. The chinese knockoffs can be gotten the next day. They seem to sell alot of the chinese tires.

Any thoughts?
Chinese tire have a very bad reputation, on 5th wheel they call them chinese bomb, I would definitely wait for the Michelin, have you look into Bridgestone or Goodyears tires, they might have a decent substitute.
Mike
Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #34

On a used coach I would change out all tires. When we bought our coach we were told that the owner did all maintenance when it was due. After doing some inspection of my own, I found things that were not done.
Rv tires set and that causes the problem. When driven every month it keeps the oils in the tire working. We use our coach every month and expect our tires to last longer.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #35

Commercial Member

RE Good tires and Bad tires.
Have yo asked your dealer about where the tires are actually made or are you just assuming the country or origin?
Bridgestone - Firestone has two Commercial tire plants in TN
Goodyear makes Dunlop & Kelly with "commercial" tires made in AZ, KS, VA & Canada
Michelin makes Goodrich commercial tires in SC & Canada

If you really want to know where specific tires is made the first two characters of the DOT can be used on THIS site to "de-code" the info.

RE "Bad tires" made in Country X. I wonder if you would consider a Bridgestone, Goodyear or Michelin brand tire made in a certain country "junk" but everything made by any company made in the USA the best quality in the world?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #36

I had to replace my 3 year old factory Goodyear tires because of river wear, and bad vibrations after 30,000 miles. The goodyears were junk, and I would never put them on any coach. I replaced them with Michelin XZA 2+ j rated truck tires, and they are fantastic! Incredible smooth ride, and show no wear after 20,000 miles.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
On a used coach I would change out all tires. When we bought our coach we were told that the owner did all maintenance when it was due. After doing some inspection of my own, I found things that were not done.
Rv tires set and that causes the problem. When driven every month it keeps the oils in the tire working. We use our coach every month and expect our tires to last longer.
Unless there is a paper trail complete with dates, I agree with this. Make the seller spring for the tires and bulld the cost into the price.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW My XRV's had to be ordered and they were all the same date codes within a month or two of when I ordered them...

I got them installed at Rick's Tire Service here in Arlington, Steve....
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2
FWIW My XRV's had to be ordered and they were all the same date codes within a month or two of when I ordered them...

I got them installed at Rick's Tire Service here in Arlington, Steve....
Thanks Kent - it looks like XRVs skip the 275/70/22.5 J load that I have and jump from 255/80 G to 305/70 L on load range.

The XZA2 Energy seems to be the one that is hard to get or not - you can only go by what your told. Hopefully tires and discussions of tires are in my past for the next 7 years or so. Thanks and
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
How about inner tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is that Motorhome tires are almost always replaced because of time and not miles. Michelin says that theirs should be replaced at 10 years but that's if you have them broken down and inspected... I believe.

I think it's time.

Rick
Is there any reason why we can't use inner tube?

When I was younger (45 - 50 years ago), we wear the tire to the bare bone, people use inner tube.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #41

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkriepke View Post
I purchased a 2007 Vectra pusher that has only 38,000 miles. The tires, 22.5" Michelin XZE, are original. So the question.... when should I consider replacement? The tread is still fine and deep, and I see no signs of abuse or major wear in the tread area. My untrained eyes do not see any evidence of cracking or crazing in the sidewall areas.
They should be replaced within 10yrs of the DOT date, no matter how good they look and even with later year professional inspections. If you don't believe it and would like wasting your money, then ask Michelin and they're the ones that make the profit with premature replacements.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
They should be replaced within 10yrs of the DOT date, no matter how good they look and even with later year professional inspections. If you don't believe it and would like wasting your money, then ask Michelin and they're the ones that make the profit with premature replacements.
First, check the date code on the tires so you will know for sure how old they are. Not unusual for tires to be a year old or more when the coach is put on the chassis. On one sidewall will be a line of codes starting with "DOT" the last 4 digits is the date code. First 2 positions is the week and the last two is the year. 2506 would be the 25th week of '06.

If it were my coach I would, at the least, replace the steer tires in the 7th year of their life. Then the drive tires the following year. Buy a TPMS and weigh your coach. Make sure your inflation pressures with support you axle weights.

Here is the Michelin RV Tire publication. Lots of info here:

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, tires