Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 AM   #1

Replace toilet or replace toilet flush / ball seal?

Well, my toilet bowl water level never stays put... the seal seems to be dead.

Is this an easy fix or should I buy a new toilet? This is an older ceramic unit, not sure what brand it is but I assume the seal is replaceable?

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bartelt View Post
Well, my toilet bowl water level never stays put... the seal seems to be dead.

Is this an easy fix or should I buy a new toilet? This is an older ceramic unit, not sure what brand it is but I assume the seal is replaceable?

Thoughts?
I replaced the thunder mug in my 02 KSDP 3669 4 years ago for the same reason. It too, wouldn't hold water and I also wanted to get rid of the spray wand. The only minor issue was lining up the new toilet with the existing mounting bolts but that was an easy fix. I bought the replacement toilet from Camping World Dometic 310 Series High Profile Gravity Discharge Toilets, White - Dometic 302310081 - RV Toilets - Camping World
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know specifically about your model toilet, but the gasket change was a fairly simple job for me, and a lot less than buying a new toilet. Only a problem if the bolts are corroded. I think I found the manual for the toilet online to get the numbers for the replacement parts.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My flush control cable broke last year and it was cheaper to have the toilet replaced than repaired. One thing you may try is putting some vasolene around the gasket to help it seal. Always keep water in your bowl to keep the gasket from drying out
Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I just rebuilt our toilet- new seals, new ball valve, and new floor seal. It wasn't too difficult. As I took it apart I kept using a hose and a spray bottle of Simple Green to rinse and wash down the parts.

Now no odor and it holds water without a problem. It was quite a bit less expensive than buying a replacement toilet. Also, it was easy to do once everything was cleaned up.

Good luck with you decision.
Swim Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #6

For a DIY--its a pretty nasty job but very doable....Recently replaced seal on my 2003 era toilet. In retrospect, would probably replace both the seal and the ball valve at the same time--better fit if both are new [besides--inside of ball is really nasty]. Only thing left to replace is the water pressure valve--replace all three components and you have basically "replaced" the toilet. Advantage to total replacement is new components and a clean, new "throne" inside and out....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions. It appears that I have an older model Dometic... looks just like the newer ones except it has a inner rim like a residential toilet.

Appears to be a normal seat toilet, so I'm thinking Dometic 320 replacement... but I'd need the short one so I'm looking at $220+ for the proper replacement.

Think I'll try to search my document book and see if there's any specifics. Yeah, I'll probably end up replacing the ball and the seal. I imagine it won't be a fun job.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:02 AM   #8

Make sure you have enough room for the 320 if you decide to put in a new one. I ended up putting in the 310 as it doesn't need as much clearance between the rear of the toilet and the wall.
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #9

I'm looking for an excuse to replace my toilet. It's working fine but I'd love to have one with a higher seat ,,,like the old folks toilet in my home that has a higher seat. . I hate squatting so low. Has anyone installed a spacer between the floor and base of their existing toilet.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bartelt View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. It appears that I have an older model Dometic... looks just like the newer ones except it has a inner rim like a residential toilet.

Appears to be a normal seat toilet, so I'm thinking Dometic 320 replacement... but I'd need the short one so I'm looking at $220+ for the proper replacement.

Think I'll try to search my document book and see if there's any specifics. Yeah, I'll probably end up replacing the ball and the seal. I imagine it won't be a fun job.
Sounds like the one I rebuilt in my 03 Teton two years ago. I found the parts on-line. Not a fun job to do but once done everything worked so well & no more smell.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #11

Water was leaking from my bowl off and on. Using a cleaning tool helped for a while, though less and less well. So I took it apart (not too bad a job on my model) and found hard water deposits on the rubber seal. Since it was not a convenient time to order a new seal, I soaked the old one in vinegar, cleaned the area, reinstalled the old seal with some silicone plumbers grease...no more leaks.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before replacing the seal, use an old toothbrush to clean the grooves in the seal. Waste gets wedged between the ball and the seal and bowl will eventually go dry.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
dms

Get a can of Pledge Furniture polish (Plain, not scented) and occasionally spray the seal. Rubber glove on one hand and coat the bottom of the seal also. Pledge is high a concentration of lanolin and will keep the seal pliable and eliminate leaks. An old RV tech told me this years ago and I have used it ever since.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #14

Apparently it's an older Dometic 510 that I have. I did some reading that people were using silicon spray on the seals to keep them going... so I tried that last night didn't seem to help, so I'll give a scrub to the seal with the Pledge.

The ball valve does seem to have some wear to it, so it looks like that I may need to replace that and the seals.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Tags
ace, replace, seal, toilet