Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Replaced your rear bumper rock guard?

My "Damon" rigid rock guard that swings from my rear bumper broke off the other day. What is everyone using or replaced there's with? Do I get the black hula skirt grass or another ridigid piece? I will be towing a Jeep behind my rig. Thank you in advance!
Onecrazydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 03:54 AM   #2

Onecrazydman-

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "rock" and "guard" in them.

You'll find a number of iRV2 posters who have thrown theirs away (especially those who have traveled the Alaskan-Canadian Highway), claiming they do more harm than good by sucking up rocks off the road. Of those who haven't thrown their away, there are advocates for almost every type/manufacturer.

Some people use a "tow protector" device under their towbar in place of or to augment a rear rock guard. Ditto for a "bra" for the towed vehicle.

Some posts suggest that a set of quality mud flaps properly installed behind the coach rear wheels is the better than a rear-mounted rock guard.

The consensus appears that, should you install a rock guard, it should be a minimum of four to six inches off the ground when the coach is in running trim (i.e., loaded and aired-up, if applicable).

Happy reading!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 AM   #3

Recently:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rear...ch-307128.html
Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the hulla skirt type and hung it about 4 to 5 ft. from the back of the MH. No problem with rocks and it keeps the water spray down when its raining
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I use the hulla skirt type and hung it about 4 to 5 ft. from the back of the MH. No problem with rocks and it keeps the water spray down when its raining
x-2 ---- I have the hula skirt also and love it, I like the look of the solid rubber and stainless steel but like other's have posted they make it worse towing and backing up you have the chance of ripping it off. I had one on my crew cab dually p/u all ways ripping it off bending the steel hated it.
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use the UltraGuard solid rubber rear flap hanging 6" above the ground, with the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. Never had a single ding on the toad! I would not use the "hula skirt"! Large rocks can go right through those!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just travel the alcan and you c an judge in a hurry. Good mud flaps for me and you will see RVers taking the skirts and large ones off. Think about it, it's the tires growing the rocks and mud flaps will take care of most. Oh I like the look of the big fancy crome flap but put it on and follow with the tow protector or just spend on the protector.

LEN
Old 09-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #8

This question seems to come up 2 or 3 times a month. My answer is always the same. The rock chips on our enclosed trailer stopped when I removed that big rubber rock throwing flap. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the companies that make the protector devices for toads secretly promote the use of the BIG Flap. Without the Flap, their sales would drop off.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #9

Replaced your rear bumper rock guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
This question seems to come up 2 or 3 times a month. My answer is always the same. The rock chips on our enclosed trailer stopped when I removed that big rubber rock throwing flap. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the companies that make the protector devices for toads secretly promote the use of the BIG Flap. Without the Flap, their sales would drop off.

Yes!
A protected Ad-Flap revenue stream. $400+ per is nifty cha-ching over an entire fleet of coaches.
One destroys, the other protects. Dump the first, no need for the second.
BTW, I had a brushy skirt on one. Do NOT drive on a wet dirt road! Only pavement.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #10

I suspect there are still a large number of MH owners that think the rear of the coach looks more complete with that big AD flap hanging there. Most of them do not realize that the flap is the cause of stone chips. Then, they spend more to protect the toad.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I suspect there are still a large number of MH owners that think the rear of the coach looks more complete with that big AD flap hanging there. Most of them do not realize that the flap is the cause of stone chips. Then, they spend more to protect the toad.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

One side of ours fell off a few days ago. I took it completely off.

I will not be replacing it.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #13

I'll be removing mine tomorrow as the previous owner did not mount it back enough and it is scraping my oil pan.
I will get a bra protector on the toad.
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #14

Glad I found this. My rear flap is damaged on mine. I was looking to replace it, because I like the way it looks. Now I know it does not serve a good function, and can save my moneys.
atc-eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace