Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Red face Replaceing awning roller

I have a Dometic 19' awning with a slight bow in the roller, thanks to a 5 min downpour. I can still use it, although it's not a smooth operation anymore. I would like to replace it and wondered if it was something I could do myself. I can order the part from local RV dealer. If anyone out there has done the job I would appreciate some insight as to what I can expect.
P J Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #2

Have you tried to bow it in the other direction?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I replaced my roller tube about 2 months ago. It requires some patience and a good rivet gun. I don't like fighting with the springs and almost lost a thumb due to carelessness. I found it easier to tighten the springs by getting someone to help me remove the arms from the wall and rotate the entire arm. This allowed me to have better control. It took about 12 turns on each side.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced an entire awning once, roller with springs pretensioned and new awning fabric all ready on it. Not real hard, 2 guys on ladders just walked it up the molding and onto the coach.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #5

It's not hard, but I wouldn't try it without help. The springs are where you need to really pay attention, both unloading and re-loading them. The tube replacement is relatively easy. We left the fabric attached to the coach and unrolled it, letting it hang on the side of the coach. Then we slid the tube off, the new one on, and reassembled.

Have you talked with your insurance company regarding storm damage?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have done many of these. You have to unload the spring(as the previous post said) You must have two people. If you are going with a vinyl fabric, you have to thread the fabric in carefully, to keep from peeling the vinyl back as it goes into the tube. You might consider switching to acrylic fabric.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

Yes I tried, but to no avail. Someone told me it's like trying to straighten a bent golf shaft. "Can't be done"
P J Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote