Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Replacement Batteries

Plans are to buy two batteries for my 2007 Outlaw. I have read on the post about 6 volt Concorde brand batteries. Is this the best way to go? I purchased the Outlaw earlier this year and have know idea how old the batteries are. Any advice?

Pka5528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know about Concord batteries...
I would have your current batteries checked. They might be good for several years.

2004 National See Breeze LX8375, Towing a 2012 Liberty
retired. Now What?
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
I like the 6v golf cart batteries. I have a Napa brand that seemed to be cheeper than some of the others. For house batteries, getting deep cycle is the most important factor. You should only use them to about 50%, so get twice as much amp hours as you will need.
Fulltime on the road since... April 29th, 2013.
DawnAndChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Concorde are premium batteries...see: Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle AGM Batteries
They make models for aviation and military applications...see: Concorde Battery - Aircraft Batteries

You can't do much better than that, and I would expect they are pricey.

But first, are you asking if 2, 6Volts are better than 1-2, 12volt batteries for the house battery bank?

The answer is YES. And the Outlaw's house battery tray is made for 2 standard size 6volt deep cycle RV/Boat/Golf Cart batteries. I got my last new one at Costco.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First there are basically 3 classes of battery
Starting, Marine/Deep cycle (Also a starting) True Deep Cycle/Golf Car (What you want)

Now. Thanks to golf car companies like EZ-GO and Yahama it is getting easier to find 12 volt GOLF CAR batteries (DEEP CYCLE)

But it is still a fact that for 6 volt golf car battery is the single most produced deep cycle battery out there. and thus the lowest cost per amp hour.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my last two 6V Golf cart batteries at Costco two years ago @ $80 each. So far they have been good.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
1. There are both combo deep/cycle starting batteries AND pure deep cycle batteries available in 12volt. You do NOT have to go to 6V to get true deep cycle as previously stated.
2. I do NOT recommend going to a dual 6V battery plan IF you are only going to use 2 batteries for the simple reason of redundancy. If you add 2 12V group 27 or 31 batteries you have similar amp hours to the dual 6V battery set up.
But if ONE 6V battery fails...you are without a house battery system. If one 12V battery fails...you still have one to use. I AM a fan of 6V batteries when used in groups of 4 as they provide a lot of amp hours for the $$.
3. There is NO reason to go to the extra expense (more than 2x) of AGM concorde lifelines vs. standard wet deep cycle batteries unless your use pattern and convenience desires outweighs the price differential.
4. No reason to throw away your existing batteries until they are near the end of life. Suggest you fully charge them overnight. Then disconnect them from the coach (remove negative wire) and wait 12-24 hours. Don't shortcut this step!! Then put a volt meter on them. If the voltmeter reads 12.5-12.7 you are in good shape...spend your $$ elsewhere for now. 12.3-12.4 ....getting weak...showing age but still serviceable. 12.2 or less...time for new ones.
Alternatively, if you have wet cell batteries now, you can get a turkey baster and take direct readings from each cell several hours after last charge.
Hydrometer reading of <1.210 specific gravity means replace. Test each cell.
Cam... Georgetown 280DS 2015
Vespa Lx150 2013 Stella Auto125 2014
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
I had interstate deep cell and start batteries in my MH for 11 years with no issues. I replaced them due to age and brought interstates again.
OKrver 2002 HR Ambassador
2003 Dodge Dakota 4X4
2012 Polaris ESP 850 Tour
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Just put in 2 Everstart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine Deep Cycle Batteries to replace my Coach batts. Bought from Walmart for $99.97 ea.

Joe & Kathy
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V Workhorse Chassis
joemcgin is online now   Reply With Quote

batteries, replace, replacement