Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Replacement Countertop Material?

I'm buying a used rig and a couple of the countertops are broken and will need to be replaced. I'm wondering what is the most common material for replacement? Do people usually just go back with Corian or similar solid surface material? I'll obviously stay away from granite due to the weight. And I can't really embrace laminate - even the new "nicer" styles. I much prefer solid surface. Anyway, let me know what you like or what you've used for your replacement tops. Appreciate ya!

Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Corian is a Dupont product and very durable and repairable as a counter surface. The issue is the nature of an RV. It moves, Shakes, Shifts. Corian doesn't take to movement, either do other countertop materials. The places yours is broken are the places it's trying to move. If I was replacing a countertop, I'd want to make sure the base is solidly anchored. I'd also think about mounting the Corian on a plywood base to absorb the movement.

I started out by saying Corian is repairable. A good shop can epoxy cracks in the countertop that will become as strong as the original and invisible. Burns and other marks can often be buffed out of the surface. Before tossing the old, you might have a shop give you an estimate for repairs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just did a major remodel on my coach and just went with a very nice (IMHO) Corian solid surface.

But now that I think about it, I am not sure if the guy who did the install did any sort of plywood base and I will now go and have a look-see.

So far so good, however.
David and my Co-Pilot Pickles the Wonder Dog
2002 Holiday Rambler Navigator and 2014 CRV Toad
WK0P Monitoring 146.52 Mhz and CB Channel 13
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go with one of the new "thin" granites. They save a lot of weight and use an edging made of granite as well that gives it the look of a full thickness granite. Its the same idea they use on the solid surface counters they use. The counters in my Bounder are made by LG and are similar to corian but are very thin with a wide edge to make them look like regular counters but save weight. If I ever replace mine, its granite all the way!
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
What about the new quartz countertops...They are bound in a resin...I wonder if they are more fracture resistant. I also don't know if they come in thinner/lighter configurations. The advantage would be heat resistance...I don't know that it would burn/scorch like Corian. That said my Corian is in good shape after 76k miles.
2005 Airstream 396 XL Land Yacht with Cat 330 C7
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL-R 5th Wheel
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, replace, replacement