Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #15

Lost a rear took out tail pipe, floor under the fridge, hose to fill gas tank well half a tank of gas on I-45 not pretty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #16

Still working on this! =)

The front of my Chevy P30 Chassis Manual says:
Tires: 8Rx19.5D
Rims: 19.5x6.00

What does that mean for my rim size?

Old 09-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #17

Just check with Rickerson Rim & they can fix you up with the right custom made rims so that you can use those 245X70X19.5 tires.
That 6.00" wide OEM rim you have on your coach now, only that 8R19.5 tire will fit it, so you'll need to go to a 7.50" rim for the 245 X 70 X 19.5 tires.
You could mount the 245 X 70 X 19.5 tires on your OEM 6.00" rims, but it is a accident waiting to happen. That big tire will blow off the rim.
Reason I know, I've done the R & D trying to make those wider tires work & every where I asked said I would end up killing myself or others.
Neil
Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Just check with Rickerson Rim & they can fix you up with the right custom made rims so that you can use those 245X70X19.5 tires.
That 6.00" wide OEM rim you have on your coach now, only that 8R19.5 tire will fit it, so you'll need to go to a 7.50" rim for the 245 X 70 X 19.5 tires.
You could mount the 245 X 70 X 19.5 tires on your OEM 6.00" rims, but it is a accident waiting to happen. That big tire will blow off the rim.
Reason I know, I've done the R & D trying to make those wider tires work & every where I asked said I would end up killing myself or others.
Neil
The problem with wider rims in the dualy, (rear), position is that the clearance between the 2 tires may NOT enough...which can result in tire failure, (aka: another "accident waiting to happen")!
If you go with wider tires, or wider rims, than the original make sure your tire guy knows what he's doing and will stand behind his bright idea.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
The problem with wider rims in the dualy, (rear), position is that the clearance between the 2 tires may NOT enough...which can result in tire failure, (aka: another "accident waiting to happen")!
If you go with wider tires, or wider rims, than the original make sure your tire guy knows what he's doing and will stand behind his bright idea.
Mel
'96 Safari
That is an issue to take note of as well.
What would the acceptable amount of clearance between the two rear tires be Mel s.
Neil
Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
That is an issue to take note of as well.
What would the acceptable amount of clearance between the two rear tires be Mel s.
Neil
I don't know.... but I know that spacing of dual tires is critical...not enough can result in overheating and tire failure.

The tire manufacturer will have "size conversion information" showing the necessary rim size and the minimum dual tire spacing for every size tire they sell.

See an example here:
Size Conversions - Goodyear RV
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #21

Update!

Got a really reasonable quote ($1 less than the lowest price I could find online) for (6) Michelin 225/70/19.5R from sttc.com and my local Service Tire Truck Center. The guy was SUPER DUPER nice and helpful. Have to get a few more outside things done before I can take it on the road and over there to get the tires swapped out. Then I'll FINALLY be able to move some personal stuff in there! Excited! Updates when I have them.

Thank you all so much again for your input. This has been the most stressful decision I've made out of the 1000's of them I've made on this RV renovation and I really can't thank you enough for your support! =)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #22

So here's the end of this tale:

Randy, the guy from Service Truck Tire Centers was super amazing. He even came to my house to inspect the tires to make sure I could make it down to their shop with no trouble. On Tuesday and Thursday he goes to inspect the tires on the school buses for this county - so I trusted his opinion. =) I'm so glad I found him.

At the shop they weren't sure if they were going to be able to do 225 on my RV until they got it there. I drove there last Monday and they put 225 on one side of the rear and then put it down and it was too close together. The guy said that if he can't fit three fingers in between them when they're down - no go. Plus, there's less than the original mgf weight in there now - so really go no.

In the end the Goodyear G647 19.5 are on there for just about $2400. I'm happy it left the driveway after sitting there since 2007, is back home, has respected tires on it that now I can feel comfortable putting some stuff in there after a trip to two around the beltway and a new tank of gas before I load it up with our stuff.

Thank you again for all of your insight and help!

YAY! =)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
My coach is currently on a set of six 9R22.5 Michelin XZE tires, (after 2 sets of Goodyears).
I am disappointed, (to say the least), to find that what I thought were the "best tires in the world" are developing sidewall cracks at 42 months, (3 yrs, 4 mo), of age, (based on the date of manufacture).

A recent Michelin inspection report states that is "normal"... that I should have them re-inspected in another year... and NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT!

IT may be "normal" for Michelins, but the 2 sets of Goodyears had NO CRACKS at 7 and 8 years old!

Apparently I'm stuck with this set of Michelins but it will NEVER happen again!

Mel
'96 Safari, 133 k miles
Update
I've been working with Michelen Customer Care for 4+ weeks, (8 phone calls so far), and it appears that they will be doing "something" about my XZE tires with cracking sidewalls.
Mel
Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #24

Ugh, Mel! Good luck with them! What a headache. =(
Old 05-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #25

To close out this thread - I ended up going with the Goodyear. They put the Michelin next size up, but they rubbing together on the rear.

I ended up using:
Maryland Truck Tire Services Inc
8390 Washington Blvd
Jessup, MD 20794
Phone: 410-792-7833
Fax: 410-792-7553
Point of Contact: Randy Bell - SUPER SUPER NICE! As part of his job, Randy inspects all of the tires for the Montgomery County, MD public school bus system. He also lives nearby me and so offered to come look at my tires for replacement and make sure I saw safe to drive to his shop. One of a kind guy.
Branch Manager: Ken Shawyer
http://www.sttc.com

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #26

Both me and a buddy replaced with Sumitomo a few years back. Absolutely no issues. Do a search and you will find very favorable reviews. Sumitomo is very big in the commercial truck tire world. Priced much lower than the Michelin crack-o-matics and in my experience as good if not better.

PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, tires