Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Replacement for Michelin 8R 19.5 XZA Tires

Hello!

I've tried to solve this on my own, but my frustration level is getting high so I thought I would come here for help...again. =)

I currently have Michelin 8R 19.5 XZA tires on the RV (Date: 3006). They were brand new in 2006 and they have been sitting this entire time, thus, new tires are needed for our trip cross country.

I'd love recommendations for a replacement for these tires for cross-country driving, pretty please? I got the XZA's originally as they were a more "freeway" tire and used on long-haul trucks. We'll be moving from MD to CA and then staying there for awhile, and then I'm not sure where (if we leave) and so I thought that type of tire would be the best.

I can renew my Costco membership, if needed.

As always, thank you all for your time! =)

Here's my research so far:
- On most sites I can't use their tire finder because it doesn't have my make/model: 1994 Firan Raven
- In forum posts (some older posts) I've seen people replace these with 225/70; 245/70
- First shop told me "they don't make these anymore". He has a Goodyear, which he said probably wouldn't be a good ride and has Bridgestone R197 R250
- Second local dealer told me that he recommends the Sumatoma (Japanese) replacement at $254.29/each.
- Michelin Truck Help told me that I would find more information through a local dealer than talking to them. Yup, that's right...
- Michelin Customer Tire Care is forwarding my message on to the RV department and someone will be back with me within 24-48 hours.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We replaced Goodyear's with firestone F560s in 245/70/19.5 all around and are happy with them.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

We installed Toyo M120Z 8R/19.5 tires a little more than a year and 4,000 miles ago and they're doing fine.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochmuth1957 View Post
We replaced Goodyear's with firestone F560s in 245/70/19.5 all around and are happy with them.
I too replaced aged out Michelins with Firestone 560 tires in the 22.5" size. Pleased with the tires and money saved.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Interesting! In all of my research no one really talks about Firestone....or I'm just meshing all of the names together in my head.

Are any of you purchasing these through Costco, or are you getting them through a dealer?

Thank you all SO much! I LOVE this site! =)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSiren View Post
Interesting! In all of my research no one really talks about Firestone....or I'm just meshing all of the names together in my head.

Are any of you purchasing these through Costco, or are you getting them through a dealer?

I got my Firestone tires at GCR Tire Center in Coburg OR. They have locations nationwide. I would go back there again.
Home page
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

You will need to go to a tire dealer that can handle truck tires, Costco, Sam's Club, and some tire dealers cannot handle truck tires.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #8

You might want to check the OEM rim width first before you buy a different size tires.
Normally, the 8R tires are on 6.50/7.00" rims & the 245-70s are on 7.50".
The rim width will make a lot of difference in handling. You take a wider tire & put on a narrower rim & it will make that tire easier to flex from side load, like going around sharp curves in the highway, but take a tire & put it on a wider rim, moving the bead out wider than the tread & it will stiffen up that tire, make it less flexable in a sharp curve & improve handling quite a bit.
Neil
Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Thank you, Neil! Not only is that very helpful as I was going to do some research on that as I saw it mentioned on the threads.

To make sure I understand it correctly....

Wider tire = bumpier ride, better at sharp curves, softer/more tire on the road. Good for highway, boondocking, rougher terrain.

Wider rim = smoother ride, need slow speeds on curves, stiffer/less tire on the road. Good for lots of freeway driving like a semi truck.

Do I get it? =)

For me personally, my natural fear of being unable to stay in my lane on a sharp turn VS a bumpier ride from MD to CA says that I should get the wider tires....but, my research (and memory from the shop that sold me these tires) seems to suggest that for the cross country drive I should have wider rims - or - would that be if we planned on going back and forth or all over all the time instead of one big trip one way?

All advice is very much appreciated. I'm making these decisions on my own based on reading and asking this site. =)

Thank you!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

Well, all I know is what my hands have touched to know if it works or not. You pretty much got what I was saying.
Back when I was young, messing with ol dirt track cars, we would take a stock rim, split it in the center & add a fill in piece to make the rims wider, then would add a stiffing rod from between the lug nuts to the outer part of the rim to reinforce the rim. Looked like crap, but it worked to make the rim a bit more heavy duty for poor mans racing.
Now days you can just buy the type of rims you need.

Theres a company that can make rims, Rickerson Rim & Tire I believe is their name, (might want to check on that name) so those larger tires will work proper.

That 245x70x19.5 tire, would mount up on those 7.00 8R rims, but might make the handling of the coach feel a bit different.
Neil
Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello!
I've tried to solve this on my own, but my frustration level is getting high so I thought I would come here for help...again. =)
I currently have Michelin 8R 19.5 XZA tires on the RV (Date: 3006). They were brand new in 2006 and they have been sitting this entire time, thus, new tires are needed for our trip cross country.
I got the XZA's originally as they were a more "freeway" tire and used on long-haul trucks.
OneSiren
My coach is currently on a set of six 9R22.5 Michelin XZE tires, (after 2 sets of Goodyears).
I am disappointed, (to say the least), to find that what I thought were the "best tires in the world" are developing sidewall cracks at 42 months, (3 yrs, 4 mo), of age, (based on the date of manufacture).

A recent Michelin inspection report states that is "normal"... that I should have them re-inspected in another year... and NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT!

IT may be "normal" for Michelins, but the 2 sets of Goodyears had NO CRACKS at 7 and 8 years old!

Apparently I'm stuck with this set of Michelins but it will NEVER happen again!

Mel
'96 Safari, 133 k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #12

Its kinda like this Mel, if Champion made a good spark plug, you would only need the set came in the car or truck when new for its life time of use, well tires are the same way. Cost us like crazy & dont last no time at all.
Do you remember back when you didnt have to think about your tires, back when people had pride in their workmanship & produced quality tires that would last until the belts would show.

Does anybody know of anything sold in the USA, that does not have failure designed into it ?. What did all these engineers go to collage for.
Neil
Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought my MH a year ago. It had Kumho tires on it. I have a friend who owned a tire shop look at them (he also owns and has owned MH for a long time, never full time though). He said they were made in 08 and he said they were fine and would last for years to come. These tires look like they were made for a commercial truck, they ride rough but since this is my first MH I have nothing to compare it with. I only put 3,500 miles on it so far.
After reading this thread, I will be watching these tires closely. I never had a complete blowout on a car, but I can only imagine what could happen losing one on a 2000, 34', 22,000 lb rig.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #14

The worst thing about a blow out on a RV, is the damage it will cause to the RV & possible accident if it was to be a front tire.
Tires are one thing you dont want to take a chance on, just passing on some good advice.
I've had a few blow outs over the years, from trying to get as much use out of the tires as I could & it always ended up with repair time from doing so, thank God it was never a front tire though.
Neil

Tags
replace, replacement, tires