Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Replacement headlights and fog lights

I recently learned a valuable lesson after purchasing new headlights and fog lights for my 2004 Fleetwood Revolution. After spendin $471.00 each on new headlights, I learned that the headlights are used in a 2000 Ford Contour car. They are sold online for around $86.00 ea. delivered. Also the fog lights made by Depo, have been discontinued. I found the direct replacement is a 2002 Licoln Navigator, which can be purchased on Ebay for around $60 a set. Most RV's use Ford headlights, so with a little research, you could save youself some money.

Bobby
willsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Bobby, welcome to irv2, glad to have you here. Thanks for the heads up. You may want to put your rig specs in your signature for others to see.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

I got a cracked lens on my R headlight when a stone hit it. I have DRL so they are on half power when driving but still visible. I checked out from Newmar and they told me a source on the West coast. I have since found that it is the headlight from a '99 to '02 Grand Marquis available for around $30 at the local junkyard. I still haven't jumped at it because in the 9 years I have not used the headlights yet. We are always set up by the time it gets dark enough for headlights.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

I found on an 02 discovery any 96 to 99 chev pu or tahoe will fit. I ordered some nice all glass projector headlamps from LMC truck in LA works great lots of light!!! the tail lights are from a ford van.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
willsre.....Don't beat yourself up. The headlights you bought are most likely the OEM headlights. The ones you see so cheap are aftermarket. They work, but most of them don't even meet Federal standards, but are still sold and used. I'm guessing if you do some night driving, you'll see that the new lenses have a better and farther reaching light pattern than your previous lights.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
willsre.....Don't beat yourself up. The headlights you bought are most likely the OEM headlights. The ones you see so cheap are aftermarket. They work, but most of them don't even meet Federal standards, but are still sold and used. I'm guessing if you do some night driving, you'll see that the new lenses have a better and farther reaching light pattern than your previous lights.
Yep, Newmar got stuck with a bunch of the counterfit lights around 2000. The reflectors started going bad. The lights carried the DOT certification #'s but had actually never been tested or approved.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I have wondered what ones Winnebago used in the Adventurer. Looks like they used the same ones for a few years? That seems like a good thing to have on file

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

My 99 Mountain Aire lights are the same as my 97 F-250 Jim
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, the cheap ones will need replacing every couple of years. The lenses will fog, or the housing cracks. Your better off with OEM.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsre View Post
I recently learned a valuable lesson after purchasing new headlights and fog lights for my 2004 Fleetwood Revolution. After spendin $471.00 each on new headlights, I learned that the headlights are used in a 2000 Ford Contour car. They are sold online for around $86.00 ea. delivered. Also the fog lights made by Depo, have been discontinued. I found the direct replacement is a 2002 Licoln Navigator, which can be purchased on Ebay for around $60 a set. Most RV's use Ford headlights, so with a little research, you could save youself some money.

Bobby
Wow! Thanks for this info. I was getting ready to buy new head lights for my Rev. This saves me big bucks! Can you tell me what replacement fog lights you found on line? And do you have any info on tail lights? I'm at the end of buffing these lens.
twobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #11

2002 Lincoln navigator fog lamps fit the Revolution. I bought a pair on EBay for$60.
willsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found my headlights were a 50 year old item here. 1/4 the price from Fleetwood.

slclighting.com
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunaly, not all RV mfgt's use automotive headlight/taillights.

But if they are automotive - you can surely save 50%+ or more by going aftermarket or automotive OEM vs. getting them from the RV mfgt.

Our RV looks like the lights were from a car too, but a group of us owners have searched high and low, but Damon says they designed and manufactured their own (appears to be true).

Name:   07 Outlaw Dr Fnt.jpg
Views: 11152
Size:  13.1 KB
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's nothing.................The ones on my American Dream are from a Cadillac of some kind(they have the Caddy logo right on the side of them).
I imagine those will be very expensive. But again, I guess you get what you pay for. Right??
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, replacement