Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Replacement parts for Velvac mirrors?

Hi,
I hit my Velvac mirror and it broke right between the mirror head and the arm. The piece that broke looks like cast iron or pot metal. On the Velvac site I only saw complete mirror assembly for sale. Pretty pricy.

Can we buy component parts or only the complete mirror?

If not , I'm thinking of insert a hollow metal shaft and fixing it with something like JB Weld metal epoxy.
Has anybody did a similar repair without replacing the whole mirror?

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just did that.. Hit a tree limb in a cg site that should have been trimmed further and broke it in the same place you did. I found the parts online at Vel-vac and then contacted a local rv shop to do the work. The cost for parts and labor were $135 and two day shipping was another $100. I opted for the two day as otherwise it would have been 7 days. Now lessee,8 more nights in the RV park at $40 a night would have been $320 and two day shipping plus three nites saved me over $120.
Oh and they broke one of the mirrors taking it apart and had to replace it. That's another reason for having a shop do it.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Just did that.. Hit a tree limb in a cg site that should have been trimmed further and broke it in the same place you did. I found the parts online at Vel-vac and then contacted a local rv shop to do the work. The cost for parts and labor were $135 and two day shipping was another $100. I opted for the two day as otherwise it would have been 7 days. Now lessee,8 more nights in the RV park at $40 a night would have been $320 and two day shipping plus three nites saved me over $120.
Oh and they broke one of the mirrors taking it apart and had to replace it. That's another reason for having a shop do it.
Thanks,
SO you can order that cast iron part separately?
That's good to know.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes,you can order that part seperately.. I think the whole mirror head was something like $350-400 for the heated one. I really wanted to order a pair of the heated ones withturn signals,but both those options were out of my comfort level,costwise.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
I just replaced my passenger 2030 mirror head due to the shell getting cracked. The guts of the mirror are fine. If you have the same mirror head as I do, you are welcome to my old one.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scepter View Post
Hi,
I hit my Velvac mirror and it broke right between the mirror head and the arm. The piece that broke looks like cast iron or pot metal. On the Velvac site I only saw complete mirror assembly for sale. Pretty pricy.

Can we buy component parts or only the complete mirror?

If not , I'm thinking of insert a hollow metal shaft and fixing it with something like JB Weld metal epoxy.
Has anybody did a similar repair without replacing the whole mirror?

Thank you

The passenger side mirror on my RV kissed a tree last week on my property in Oregon. I used JB weld and it it held for about 200 miles. I am traveling so checked a few RV places and one recommended I check with RV Doctor George in Sacramento, CA. RV Doctor George
Since we were traveling south on I-5 I gave them a call and they had in stock a new replacement head for a mere $250 plus tax. Since we are traveling I wanted one now so rather than shop around I went by and picked it up. It is an exact replacement, a power, heated mirror. When I get home my chain saw will remove that tree!! Hope you can find a better price than I found.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

The part that broke is the cast iron base plate. Velvac will sell me one for $65.
The complete mirror assembly was $1400.
I have triple deck , chrome, heated mirror.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I was driving down a curvy street a little while ago and hit a street sign that was mounted out further than the rest. Make a horrible WHAP sound. Scared the crap out of me. Luckily for me, it didn't break the mirror, only scratched the back of it. But I was wondering how much a mirror would cost had I broken it. I was just really glad it didn't drag all the way down the side of the coach. Now THAT would have been painful.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the benefit of others your thread Replacement Parts for Velvac Mirrors? over on rv.net has some good info about parts sources/prices.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Just wondering for Insurance purposes whether you could claim the mirror damage as comprehensive damage like a rock damaging a windshield or whether this would fall under Collision? Any thoughts?

Tags
replacement