Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #43
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseMaster View Post
I currently have Goodyear G670 245/70R19.5 tires on RV with DOT code 1400. I had the RV inspected last January before purchasing by an RV Dealer service centre and was told they checked the tire DOT code and the tires were good for another 2 years.

Now I see that they should be changed. Does anyone have experience with:
Roadmaster RM170 LR G 14 ply
Hercules H702 or 902 LR G
Double Coin Truck & RV tires 16 ply
that they can share or should I stick to G670 or Michelin XRV for replacement tires?

The RV dealer should not have sold the RV with tires that old on it.
One thing I would not do is to trust that RV dealer to provide any correct information on tires. With DOT 1400 that means the tires are 13 years old. You will not find a tire manufacturer that will suggest it is OK to continue running tires that old.

HERE are three blog posts with info on tire brands. and one post on
What is the "Best" tire

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
After months of shopping I replaced a mixed bag of Goodyear G670's and G159's for 6 new fresh off the boat Hankook 11R 22.5 AH12's. Only 3500 miles but am VERY HAPPY with the ride and No signs of wear.
Gary

Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replaced our 10 yr old Goodyear's with firestones last year. No way will I entertain chinabombs.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOC retired View Post
After months of shopping I replaced a mixed bag of Goodyear G670's and G159's for 6 new fresh off the boat Hankook 11R 22.5 AH12's. Only 3500 miles but am VERY HAPPY with the ride and No signs of wear.
Gary
Gary, where did you purchase your Hankooks? And what was the out the door price, please. I am looking to replace 6 also, same size.
I have no problem with non-US manufacturer, I have run a lot of Non-US mfg. tires that were as good as the US mfg. tires, maybe no better but just as good.
Randy
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderbuster View Post
Gary, where did you purchase your Hankooks? And what was the out the door price, please. I am looking to replace 6 also, same size.
I have no problem with non-US manufacturer, I have run a lot of Non-US mfg. tires that were as good as the US mfg. tires, maybe no better but just as good.
Randy
Randy I PM'd the details
Gary
Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #48

Neptune 09 35ft I had steering issues and ended up replacing the 2 front tires All of they good year G70 tires (2.5yrs) had radial run out, My local garage told me he was having good luck and no complaints with Samson's so I tried them. 3 years installed, great ride, steers great, Run 4-5 hundred miles (with lunch break/diesel only) 60-75mph absolutely no issues. Great Pricing, will use Samson all round when needed

Mike
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your old tires look good, don't let the dealer keep them & charge you $5.00 each. I kept 4 of my old tires, and put a for sale sign in the local grocery store, & got $200.00 for them. Apparently they work great on trailers. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #50

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thanks to all for comments and information. This morning I replaced all 6 plus the spare with Hercules H902 Load Range G at Firebird Tire in Phoenix. Paul's team did a great job with high speed run out test and balance. They installed new dully valve stems so all are readily accessible with out need for any valve extenders. They did a visual inspection of brake pads too.

Travelled 65 miles on I-17 and I-10 and the ride is very good so far.

Still pissed at Florida RV Dealer garage were I had a Systems and Mechanical inspection (~ $300) done before purchasing the RV last January and they said the Goodyear tires had another 2 years left on them when all had DOT date code 1300. I will be contacting them shortly and will post their response.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #51

Well, shoot! You bought tire already but I'll post my $.02 anyway. There is a Goodyear 245X70X19.5 load range G marketed for RV use. There is another tire the same size and load rating that Goodyear market's for the commercial use. The only difference is the commercial tire has a little more initial tread depth. But guess which is more expensive???

Yup! The RV tire is almost $100 more per tire!

Hankook tires that size and load rating with a virtually identical tread pattern are very well received by the commercial market. My tire dealer says he sells the Hankooks on a 3:1 ratio compared to the Goodyear RV tires and they are almost $200 cheaper per tire, plus it's easier to get very recent manufactured Hankooks vs. Goodyears. Probably because the Hankooks outsell the Goodyears by such a large margin.

Of course, this is all subjective opinions without actual facts so your mileage may vary!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Found a Bridgestone 245/70R19.5 in LR-F, LR-G & LR-H. R250F.
Might find more dealers and service locations with a major manufacturer.
Broader selection of load capacity might allow you to select just what you need.

Might not be as cheap as some of the imports. Don't know if this tire is made in US or Japan. If you find one you can confirm by looking for "Made in USA" on sidewall.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I put Sampson tires on my RV and have not had a problem yet. I don't have a ton of miles yet but the last 3.5 hour trip they did fine. I did 55-65 mph for over 2.5 hours and no issues. I would love a USA brand but they were not within my budget.
My experiance with Samson (size) 8R19.5 tires on my last RV was terrible! I replaced the four rear tires, the old ones were GY G647 on the front and GY G159 in the rear. Before I replaced the old GY with Samsons, my RV handled excellant, after mounting the Samsons, it was all over the road, to the point, where it was down right dangerous to drive it. Nothing besides the tires changed, same weight and pressure. After this problem started I had the whole steering/suspension checked numerous times, to make sure something wasn't worn or broken, and all was in good working order. I don't know if it would have been any different if my steer tires were Samson too. All I can say is, if there was an issue with my RV, the old GY tires did an amazing job of masking the problem.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #54

It is entertaining to see some consider all Asian manufacturers to be the same. That is as uneducated as one can get.

Japan, Korea, and China are very very very different countries let alone companies from these countries cannot possibly be the same and associated with the same poor quality products.

Something to think about, remember this simple fact, companies have to make money. With high labor cost, as someone has to make these products, it will drive up the cost of the products being made by companies with higher production cost. US probably has the highest labor cost to manufacture a tire.

Having said that, watch this when a tire blows. It takes your shirts off and blow you away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	__138607817611562.gif
Views:	921
Size:	1,021.1 KB
ID:	55213  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMA View Post
It is entertaining to see some consider all Asian manufacturers to be the same. That is as uneducated as one can get.

Japan, Korea, and China are very very very different countries let alone companies from these countries cannot possibly be the same and associated with the same poor quality products.

Something to think about, remember this simple fact, companies have to make money. With high labor cost, as someone has to make these products, it will drive up the cost of the products being made by companies with higher production cost. US probably has the highest labor cost to manufacture a tire.

Having said that, watch this when a tire blows. It takes your shirts off and blow you away.
I have nothing against Chinese made tires or other products, even though when I can afford it, I try to buy US made, to support our people. That being said, I thought it would be important to relay my experience with this brand tire. It looked like a geat solid tire at an amazing price, but turned into a nightmare. Maybe some RVs are just sensitive to certain tires, and even though the price can be tempting, I am to affraid to try it again. I usually give most things 2nd chances, but at the price of RV tires now days and most importantly, "safety", I will not give this brand a 2nd chance. I don't have a whole lot of RV tire experiance, but from the experiance I do have, I can say that GY brand gives excellent stability, especially in windy conditions, even though unfortunately the G671's have rivering issues. I'm thinking of trying the GY G661 HSA or the Toyo tires. I have not decided yet. Has anyone tried the GY G661 HSA tires on their RV?

PS: Nice shirt trick!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #56

I have new Triangle 686's form Simpletire.com. $1700.00 to my door for 6 19.5's. Had my installer put in the beads inside the tires and feel smooth so far. they have a tall tread and should last well. Don't buy Michelins unless your going to drive 50,000 miles per year as they are now my mechanics worst tire for sidewall cracking. All tire stores will tell you 7 years is max or face blow outs and severe damage from the carcass blowing off. Change them, its not worth your safety to save $2000.00.

Tags
georgie boy, replace, replacement, tires