Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #57

I just got a quote on GY RV 670's (245/70-19.5-G) $400 each mounted, bal, etc. from my normal tire dealer. $2400 for 6

From Bell tire below, they don't have 670's
XRV's-F $467.38ea $2804.28-6
B-Stone-G R250 $480.16ea $2880.96-6
GY 647Rss-G $461.78ea $2770.68 -6

I have not had any problems with my 670's, and I'm not sure they need replacing yet, I'll have the dealer look at them. DOT 2507 I cannot find even a hair of a crack on any of the side walls, but the dates got me concerned.

Why don't many of you like these tires???

KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
I just got a quote on GY RV 670's (245/70-19.5-G) $400 each mounted, bal, etc. from my normal tire dealer. $2400 for 6

From Bell tire below, they don't have 670's
XRV's-F $467.38ea $2804.28-6
B-Stone-G R250 $480.16ea $2880.96-6
GY 647Rss-G $461.78ea $2770.68 -6

I have not had any problems with my 670's, and I'm not sure they need replacing yet, I'll have the dealer look at them. DOT 2507 I cannot find even a hair of a crack on any of the side walls, but the dates got me concerned.

Why don't many of you like these tires???
The reason a lot of people don't like GY G670RV tires is because they wear funny on the steer tires, most of the wear pattern seems to be what is called river wear. Its worth to note that most of these wear issues are on 22.5" wheels/tires, not on the 19.5s. On my last unit, I had GY tires 8R19.5s. The fronts were G647s, which were excellent and wore perfectly. The rears were the infamous G159s, which wore well, but were old and not rated for highway speed on top of that, so I had two of them blow out. This was mostly my fault, because of ingnorance and stupidity on my part. I had old tires that were maxed out weight wise, and I was going way to fast to boot. A sure recipe for failure and/or disaster!

My current unit has GY G670RV 265/75R22.5 tires on it. The DS front is showing some abnormal wear on the outer edge, but besides that, the tires have done extreamly well, with no weather cracking or other issues, considering that they are almost 9.5yrs old. I think part of the reason they have held up well is because the RV weighs about 25% less then the tires' capacity, plus I drive much slower now. That said, even though I don't drive real long distances, I do feel that at almost 10yrs old, they need to go.

Again, from my experience, the GYs age extreamly well and handle well too, especially in windy situations. For me, the wearing issue is a big nuisence, but tire handling/stability, long life (age wise), and no blow-outs trump wear issues any day. I am open to other good brands like the Yokohamas, Toyos, Continentals, etc., but if the price is simillar I will probably stay with GY, because they have worked well for me. If it's not broke don't fix it...

By date codes, your tires are around 6.5yrs old, which for the G670's that is still a good amount of life, unless you are maxed out on weight and/or start seeing issues with the tires showing age. If you have neither, you should get a solid two more years out of them. Also, if you decide to replace them anyway, you should be able to sell your old tires as good used for about $600+. A lot of locals with dump trucks and old dilivery vans buy them for short distance use. For their application, they care more about tread depth then age. When I change mine out that is what I plan to do. Heck, if I can recoupe some of the cost, why not...

Old 06-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Double Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseMaster View Post
I currently have Goodyear G670 245/70R19.5 tires on RV with DOT code 1400. I had the RV inspected last January before purchasing by an RV Dealer service centre and was told they checked the tire DOT code and the tires were good for another 2 years.

Now I see that they should be changed. Does anyone have experience with:
Roadmaster RM170 LR G 14 ply
Hercules H702 or 902 LR G
Double Coin Truck & RV tires 16 ply
that they can share or should I stick to G670 or Michelin XRV for replacement tires?
We just replaced our back tires (Goodyear) with the Double Coin 245/70R 19.5. I would caution that this brand has a high incident of being out of round. When you hit about 32 - 45 mph our whole rig started to shake. We contacted the tire dealer and he told us that it is very common in the Double Coin. He has offered to replace the tires completely with the same or upgrade for the difference with the Firestone. We are choosing to upgrade and he has assured us that the Firestone will preform as well as the Goodyear. We will see. The Double Coin cost was $1,300/4 with installation and the Firestone will cost an additional $400/4

P. S. We did put New Goodyear RV tire on the front.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #60

American Coach Owners Club
Put 4 of these on ...Amazon.com: Hercules H-902 225/70R19.5 128L (59217): Automotive
the drive axle and have about 10K on them now, including a US tour over the Rockies.
Don't know why Amazon doesn't have them now, as they always did before.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #61

Hercules, why pay more, unless you need to keep up with the jones's...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #62

Just ordered new Michelin XRV 225/70/19.5 to replace my 10 year old XRV's.

I made significant savings using the Michelin advantage program. List price is 502, quoted 440 and price of the Michelin program 351
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #63
Commercial Member

When selecting a brand, the initial purchase price is but one of the items to consider.
I have done a couple posts on the topic of "Best Tire" but if you don't want to read it I can suggest to at least consider how you might go about getting a replaceemnt tire if you have a warranty problem or even a puncture on the brand of tires you are considering.
What will it cost you to have a tire shipped in to your location vs having it replaced at a local dealer? Is there a National chain of stores that carry the brand you are considering. Does the tire company offer road service as part of the purchase of a full set of tires?

We all understand the "Pay me now or Pay Later" concept.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by C350AMG View Post
Just ordered new Michelin XRV 225/70/19.5 to replace my 10 year old XRV's.

I made significant savings using the Michelin advantage program. List price is 502, quoted 440 and price of the Michelin program 351
This is a good program, we used it to get our new tires last month.

Tags
georgie boy, replace, replacement, tires