Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Replacing a Class A front Windshield

A question for anyone with experience....

A while back I had a rock chip my front windshield. I immediately called safelite and they came out and repaired it. It is about the size of a nickel and not in the field of view,it’s more towards the bottom right. It doesn’t really bother me that much but you can certainly see it.

I was planning on replacing the windshield through insurance but now I am questioning my decision. A friend told me I should think twice about replacing because those large windshields are not easy to seal and when you do get it done, you won’t know there is a possible leak until it’s pouring rain and it has possibly damaged things I can’t see. This friend is not your typical “doom and gloom” one so now I’m wondering if I should do it... or chance it.

Who has had their large front windshield replaced and did you (or do you) have any issues? As of now, I am waiting for the glass to come in and safelite are the ones that are supposed to do it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Well you could use a water hose to check the windshield for leak's. My MH's windshield has about a 3" crack right by the inspection sticker on the lower right side. I've had this for 2 years without a problem Windshields are laminated with two pieces of glass so more then likely your outer glass got dinged but the inside piece is okay. Unless you want to spend the money for replacement if it obscures something I'd leave it alone until it really gets bad. Who knows your new one might get dinged right away, JMO.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had mine replaced this spring. Went through Progressive Insurance who used Duncan Systems to supply the glass and I then used an installer recommended by Duncan.
No problems or leaks yet!
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

I guess I have to ask why are you replacing it. If I am understanding correctly, it is just a chip that has been fixed although still can be seen. Also, will your insurance even cover it?

We got two chips within two months on our last MH. Both fixed for free through insurance by Safelite. Could I still see them? Sure. Didn't bother me though. They were still fine two months ago when we sold it.

Many threads on here of people having issues with replaced windshields. If it was me, I would leave it alone until it cracks. JMHO
Old 10-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
I guess I have to ask why are you replacing it. If I am understanding correctly, it is just a chip that has been fixed although still can be seen. Also, will your insurance even cover it?

We got two chips within two months on our last MH. Both fixed for free through insurance by Safelite. Could I still see them? Sure. Didn't bother me though. They were still fine two months ago when we sold it.

Many threads on here of people having issues with replaced windshields. If it was me, I would leave it alone until it cracks. JMHO
Yes, my insurance will cover it. It’s a $250 deductible through Progressive. I’ve been on this forum for about 3 years now and I thought I had also read some stories on having bad experiences in replacing windshields.

Safelite also fixed our chip and it seems fine, it’s more of an eye sore more than anything else but at first I figured why not replace it if they are willing to do so (and they are), I am just now second guessing my decision because of a possible problem with the new one being installed correctly by people I don’t know (safelite). I have no problems now (other than the eye sore of the chip) but no leaks at all.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year on a trip my wife suddenly said did you hear that, thought i heard something and paid no further attention to it. Checked it out when we stopped and saw nothing. Next trip started out fine then from the upper right corner a crack developed some 2' long. I went to my local RV dealer Giant recreation world and asked what they recommended and who they use. Private local glass business with many RV glass install. They came to my storage with 4 men and a scaffold. Took the about 2hrs and did an awesome job. No leaks a year later.

Not long ago i got a rock chip star on my truck about the size of a nickel. I went to safelight glass to get it filled. I was very dissapointed as it looked the same as when i brought it in. I did voice my disappointment with the repair and they offered to replace the windshield which i declined as it was in the lower passenger side. Hasn't changed so the repair helped.

Here in Florida there is no deductible for windshields.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Last year on a trip my wife suddenly said did you hear that, thought i heard something and paid no further attention to it. Checked it out when we stopped and saw nothing. Next trip started out fine then from the upper right corner a crack developed some 2' long. I went to my local RV dealer Giant recreation world and asked what they recommended and who they use. Private local glass business with many RV glass install. They came to my storage with 4 men and a scaffold. Took the about 2hrs and did an awesome job. No leaks a year later.

Not long ago i got a rock chip star on my truck about the size of a nickel. I went to safelight glass to get it filled. I was very dissapointed as it looked the same as when i brought it in. I did voice my disappointment with the repair and they offered to replace the windshield which i declined as it was in the lower passenger side. Hasn't changed so the repair helped.

Here in Florida there is no deductible for windshields.
Yea, my biggest worry is breaking that factory seal and then new window not being installed as well as the manufacture one was.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a wraparound windshield I would put it off. Had mine replaced on a Monaco Cayman with this type of windshield and it needed to be reglued as it came out at the top. Also, if you get a new windshield, check it first with polarized sunglasses, on my last replacement, the glass had dark spots in it with polarized sunglasses. The windshield installers and insurance company have always been good to work with since windshields are a big safety issue.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had two windshields replaced. Last time it was the drivers side. First time it was the passenger side back in 2005... kids shot it out with a slingshot from a car on the freeway in Billings Montana. Took a week and had no problem. Got to explore Billings pretty good. Nice town!!

Second time in 2018 big crack from a chip spread. Had it replaced and it leaked. Place that did it repaired the leak.

I wouldn't do it unless there was a crack that was spreading.

What is the year, make and model of your Motorhome? Is it single or dual windshield?

Certain makes of motorhomes are prone to problems when the windshields are replaced.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've had two windshields replaced. Last time it was the drivers side. First time it was the passenger side back in 2005... kids shot it out with a slingshot from a car on the freeway in Billings Montana. Took a week and had no problem. Got to explore Billings pretty good. Nice town!!

Second time in 2018 big crack from a chip spread. Had it replaced and it leaked. Place that did it repaired the leak.

I wouldn't do it unless there was a crack that was spreading.

What is the year, make and model of your Motorhome? Is it single or dual windshield?

Certain makes of motorhomes are prone to problems when the windshields are replaced.
It is a 2017 Newmar Baystar....it’s a big one piece windshield.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

Ours developed a big crack through the middle of the windshield about 7 years ago. Like the OP, I was concerned that problems might develop if I had the windshield replaced. I ended up driving it with the cracked windshield for about 5 years. That was until a hard rain came through that produced a small water drip at the top of the windshield. That made my mind up to get the windshield replaced.

I run with high deductibles so replacement cost was on me. Did some research and found an online glass company that specialized in motorhomes. They recommended a local glass company and then after I agreed, shipped the glass to them. Turned out to be a good experience with the glass company doing a great job. That was close to two years ago,,, no problems so far!

Having said all that, I would not have the glass replaced just because of a chip. Especially a chip that has been repaired. Drive it a bit and it'll probably end up being something you think less and less about.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Ours developed a big crack through the middle of the windshield about 7 years ago. Like the OP, I was concerned that problems might develop if I had the windshield replaced. I ended up driving it with the cracked windshield for about 5 years. That was until a hard rain came through that produced a small water drip at the top of the windshield. That made my mind up to get the windshield replaced.

I run with high deductibles so replacement cost was on me. Did some research and found an online glass company that specialized in motorhomes. They recommended a glass company and then after I agreed, shipped the glass to them. Turned out to be a good experience with the glass company doing a great job. That was close to two years ago,,, no problems so far!
That's great to hear! That puts my mind at ease at bit that it would be done right. Apparently Progressive has a division that deals with the glass repairs and I would think they would have to feel really comfortable about doing it for such a large claim. I'm sure the replacement will be about about $2k.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I’ve got four chips that have been repaired, with one crack that runs a long way about three or four inches from the bottom. I’m going to run it until something either gets in my field of view as a distraction or leaks. Plus, my usual luck with a replaced windshield is a new big chip in the new one very soon afterward. Like you, I’ve heard and read about the problems with getting the new one and molding set and I’m hoping to stall off that experience as long as I can
Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"ghoticov".....First off, thousands of people have their RV windshields replaced every year. You always hear of old war stories about ones that have gone wrong, but I bet that percentage is less than 2%-3%.

One of the mistakes that are made is that some glass companies try to replace the old windshield, using just the old gasket. Most companies are now gluing in the windshields. Places like Safelite are good companies for auto glass, but I they lack the ability to do RV windshields. My glass guy has a flatbed truck designed to back up to your windshield, so he's working on a stable platform at the appropriate height.

Two of our friends, one with an HR Cayman and the other with a Monaco Knight, both had issues with their windshields popping out on the passenger side. I recommended my RV glass guy to them. He removed both windshields, glued them back in, without breaking them, and the windshields have been fine ever since (several years).

So my point.....don't be afraid to replace your windshield, but do take the time to find someone who does RV windshields for a living. If you have anyone that does RV bodywork, ask them who they use.

Lastly, in California, windshield replacement isn't covered by insurance for free, like many states. Years ago when I chipped the windshield of my new DP, I called my insurance and learned that I could lower just my comprehensive coverage to $100.00 deductible, for an extra $43.00 a year. Well worth the extra cost.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, windshield