Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replacing a Skylight

If this needs to be moved, feel free.
If this could be a sticky somehwere, feel free.

I had user contact me today about replacing a skylight and "how to" so after I sent him the email, I figured I could post the step by step on here for everyone...

Hope it helps someone. This is for a SKYLIGHT, not a crank vent... same concept but with the crank vent you need to add an extra step...

1. Inside, remove the screws that hold the nice plastic square trim in place.
2. Mark the plastic on the inside or i guess it would be the outside (where nobody sees) mark it to know which side goes to front.
-do this to make it easier when you put it back together, the screw holes will all line up at this point
3. Observe any electrical wires or conduit that my be run through the overhead rafters and know where they are, what color and where they go
4. Go up top. you will see that your screws and the edging of the skylight is covered in a gooey putty, take a BUTTER KNIFE and find your screws by digging this putty away
-you don't have to completely remove the putty from the skylight, just from the screws
5. Remove all the screws, there will be a bunch!!! and yes, you will have to put ALL of them back in when done
-theres atleast 70mph winds going across this baby, you want to make sure its secure!
6. VERY TRICKY, TAKE YOUR TIME AND USE CAUTION - use your butter knife, start in a corner, and get under your skylight and pry up slowly
-don't worry about your skylight, worry about your roof. if you get under it far enough you'll be ok, its GETTING UNDER IT that you have to worry about.
-if its hot enough outside (100 degrees) like it was when i did it, use your knife and some muscle and go inside and pry and push on it from the inside
7. Finish scraping off the rest of the putty off the roof. The butter knife i found works best but a kinda dull putty knife might work too, temperature is a big factor with this stuff, but get it ALL off
8. Clean the portion of your roof around where the putty was. Depending on roof type, some mild soap and warm water would do just fine, your just getting the highway grime and dirt off it
9. Your new skylight probably doesn't have any screw holes in it yet (the stronger ones don't, hopefully your dealer took care of you). find a drill bit SLIGHTLY larger than your screw and drill holes the same way the holes were on your old one.
10. At this time, take your a.) skylight b.) butle tape c.) putty tube w/caulk gun (forgot the name) d.)drill with bit & screws e.) black marker or pen f.) 2 or 3 rags (not ones your wife will wash, these will get thrown away and don't use paper towels, using those is like trying to wipe your butt with TP when its wet (sorry, only way to get the point that i could think of... lol)
11. Once on the roof, lay everything out so its easy to get to and you won't be kicking it off (or do like me and have the wife stand below lol)
12. Lay your skylight over the hole the way you like it. your screw holes SHOULD match up with the old ones in the roof (don't worry if they dont)
13. With skylight where you want it, verify by looking from the inside as well. go back up top and trace your 4 corners with your marker
14. Remove skylight, flip over and apply the butle tape to the underside of the skylight, remove the protective paper from the tape as well
NOTE: when applying, make sure that you are laying it over your screw holes so your screws will go through this stuff but keep it away from the outside edge as much as possible
15. Once tape is applied to all 4 sides, flip over, align with marker lines, and firmly push along all 4 sides so it STICKS to the roof (DO NOT LIFT IT TO SEE IF ITS STICKY, IT IS!!)
16. Start in one corner and work your way to the opposite corner with your screws (see awesome diagram below for pattern)

1 2 4 6

i think you get the point... do it in this way so that you don't create a "bubble" in your framing of the skylight, this way it works the plastic to one corner
17. You'll notice that as you tightened your screws, some of the tape oozed out the sides, this is ok. Using your butter knife, slowly remove the excess that oozed out
-you want to remove ALL excess because the putty your about to apply will bubble all ugly when it comes in contact with this stuff and takes longer to dry!
18. Once all excess tape is removed, get your putty and gun and apply. Don't be scared to use this stuff and don't treat it like caulking around your bathtub.
-if you cut the first 1/8" off the tip of this tube, you're doing it wrong, cut it back 1" so you got a big opening and pour it on. make sure to cover ALL your screws and
-go around the edges and let it pour onto your roof too. you saw what it looked like when you took it off, make it look like that or sloppier. this is what keeps the water out so if you're worried about looks you're going to fail. nobody sees your roof but you and the Highway Patrol Chopper anyway :-) My dealer told me 1 small bathroom vent should take an entire tube, so if you're doing a 16"x30" you should use atleast 2 tubes
19. Let it set up. If it comes in contact with any tape it may bubble a little bit and look ugly as crap for a while DO NOT TOUCH IT!! it will pop its own bubbles and "settle" as it cures. several people see this and go running after it with a rag or a putty knife to smear it around or flatten it, all that does is break the seal that has started.
20. Pack everything away and get off the roof. You're done on the roof, wife off your fingers (i know you touched it, we all do LOL) clean up tools and what nots do not start to get off the roof until you are sure you don't have anything on the bottom of your shoes or on your hands
21. Let it sit for atleast 12 hours, go back up and check it, if it is almost hard, go inside and re-install your plastic trim piece
"Now why would you want to do something like that?" - My Dad
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!