Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #1

Replacing an older mirror

I need to replace the driver-side mirror head on our 1997 Safari Sahara. (The original mirror head got clipped by a truck, which did not stop.) I've tried salvage yards around the country with no luck.

The 22-year-old mirror was made by Velvac and is what they called their Superstar mirror head. It’s 13 inches by 8+ inches, rectangular with rounded corners, not tapered at the top like all newer models. The mirror is out of production and I cannot find one in any of the major salvage yards. I therefore have in mind replacing both mirror heads and keeping the original bus mounting arms.

Speaking with Velvac technical assistance has been an exercise in frustration. All they seem to want to do is sell me two complete new mirrors. Never mind that they mounting holes in the new bases do not match the holes in the coach facing.

Has anyone replaced a 1990’s-era mirror head with a newer head on the original mirror arm? What problems did you need to overcome?

My mirror has 5 wires in the 6-wire plug, which looks the same as the newer plugs on 5-wire mirror heads. Can anyone tell me if the wiring pattern is the same, or will I have to puzzle out which new wire mates with which old wire?

Thanks!
Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #2

Google found a number of them, But with the complete arm assembly for about 500 bucks.
Part no. 712719
Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Google found a number of them, But with the complete arm assembly for about 500 bucks.
Part no. 712719
Thanks, but that part (712719) uses a different type of attachment for the head to the mounting arm compared to the bus style arm on my coach. (I’ve discussed this part number with Velvac tech support and with one of their bigger dealers.) My arm uses a shaft on the head which drops into a socket on the arm and is locked in place with a set screw. The mirror head on part 712719 is attached with a bolt.

I want to mount new mirror heads on my arms, without performing major surgery on the bodywork of my coach as Velvac would have me do. I’m looking for anyone who has mounted new heads on old arms. My biggest concern is with the electrical connections.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just went through somewhat the same experience with Velvac...!!! I thought it was a Velvac mirror as the manual was in the coach documents. Turns out it was made by RAMCO engineering. You might try contacting them...https://www.ramco-eng.com/.
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote