Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Replacing Carpet in 2007 Coachman Pathfinder

I am replacing the carpet in my RV and looking to put the Allure brand Resilient Plank Flooring. So far everything is going well. I have removed the carpet and the padding and spent a couple of hours making sure all the staples are out. I have a nice clear floor and am ready to start the installation. I am looking for any input. Keep in mind this is my first time doing an installation like this. Any advice you have would be beneficial.

1. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a good way to trim the curved tile going into the kitchen.

2. The area around the pedals is very uneven and cluttered. I am thinking about installing the planking around the black area and trimming it out. That will leave the black area showing. I think with some nice trim and maybe a fresh coat of black paint it will come out nice. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	30170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	30171  

Name:	Photo 3.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	30172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 4.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	30173  

Name:	Photo 5.jpeg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	30174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 6.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	30175  

Name:	Photo 9.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	30176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 11.jpeg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	30177  

Name:	Photo 12.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	30178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 13.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	30179  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
paz

Looks good so far. Keep the photos and reports coming.

I'm considering doing something similar, but I'm concerned how to fit the planking under the slide and how to keep the slide from scratching the new flooring. Our slide drags on the carpet now, and I'm afraid it will also drag on the Allure flooring. I have thought about using slide-out slickers to prevent scratching, but I'm not sure how well they work.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can understand you want the carpet out but in that black area you could trim the surround but the area itself I think would look better with a dark piece of carpeting. It appears the the pedals are screwed into place and may be loosened to get the carpet underneath then retighten. JMHO Good luck and be sure to post some pics of your progress.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
You will need some vinyl T moulding to make a transition from your tile to the new surface. The black area, is steel and there is a valve under the brake pedal- don't mess with that. I just added a black rubber mat for a coach in that area.
You can see the edge of the carpet under the slide if you go outside and pull the rubber seal down and with a good lite- you can see the floor material. Thats where I pry the edge up- all it is - who would have thunk it?--stapled down
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the help.

Thanks for all of the input. I am heading out today to start putting the floor in. I will keep an eye out for potential scratching from the slide out amd get the protectors if necessary. I am also going to look for some dark carpeting for the pedal area. I will post some pictures as i go.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That will be one of our next projects, post photos.
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Here is an update. I have about 95% of the vinyl floor down. Then it's time to trim everything out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3175377384.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	30234   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3192141145.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	30235  

Name:	image-2675841480.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	30236   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3821065573.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	528.7 KB
ID:	30237  

Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
I was just reading the Allure website as i was considering this floor also, EXCEPT I saw all over their site that this floor must me kept in a temp controlled environment and not let get over 95 deg for any length of time. I don't full time and often during the summer when my coach is sitting empty it is well above 95 deg. So i don't believe it would work too well.

Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Lookin good. To top it really off- purchase some new floor registers to make your job great! Lowes has them and there are wooden floor registers to replace the OEM plastic or metal ones. FYI-
Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

Looking good! That is the first thing we want to change out is the carpeting in the 2003 Class A we just purchased. Will have to wait untill after our winter in Florida.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Great idea about the wooden vents. I am still not 100% sure what I want to do around the pedals. I have thought about painting with a latex type of thick paint to give it some texture. I think the floor is actually going to be the easy part. The trim is going to be the challenge. I am putting hardwood 1/4 round against the walls. The steps are also pretty straight forward. The biggest challenge is the curved transition into the kitchen. Home depot didn't have any vinyl T molding. I will have to check the flooring specific stores in my area. I would like to use the same molding with the tile by the front steps. The only other part will be finding something that looks good with however I decide to do the pedals.

As you can see, we are not full-timers so I have plenty of time to finish it since our next trip in it isn't for another couple of weeks. I will post more pictures as I get more completed. By the time I am done with it, I should have right at $200 in it. Not to bad for a new floor.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks great ! You might want to consider the roll-on bed liner paint that you can buy at any auto parts store. It makes a nice waterproof finishand it is not slippery. When I put a new floor in the basement plumbing compartment I used it to coat the galvanized sheet metal. I like the look so well that I plan on taping off the corners of the motorhome bumpers and painting them. The previous owner scraped them up and it is almost impossible to match the paint. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry I should have made it clear that the roll-on bedliner was for the pedal area.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My experience with Allure...

After a few days of being layed, it will conform exactly to what it was layed on. If on just plywood, it will show every high and low spot and will look "wavey".

It will expand and contract. In the north in the winter, gaps will appear in the joints, not bad, but noticable.

If you have a slide with nylon "skids", they will destroy the floor in a heartbeat. Allure is soft. On my 12ft slide I removed the five 3/4" x 4" skids and replaced with six 3" x 8" wood blocks wrapped in carpet. The PSI on those small nylon skids is huge and why I increased the contact area between slide and floor. Even with this done, you don't want to move the slide with dirt on the floor.

It sure is easy to install and looks nice when finished, but it has issues. If were to do this over again, I would probably spend a bit more and use a very hard laminate or actual hardwood.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote