Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

replacing carpet in a motorhome with laminate

I am thinking of replacing the carpet with laminate in my 99 dutch star. How do i handle the slideout problem? I have been quoted about 80 dollars a sq. ft . There are some very nice floor products for around 5. 75 dollars seems a little steep for labor. I would like to do this myself as I have installed laminate in a house before with good results but the slideout lis my hangup. Anyone been down this road? Help.

owlcreek

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many inquires on this subject do a search on several topics and I am sure you will find just what you are looking for.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #3

Laminate is nice...BUT, not the easiest to repair when water damaged. Check out Karndean flooring, it’s a rubber flooring that is used in the RV industry by many shops with great success. We’ve been using this floor for about 4 years now, doing about 15-20 a year with not one come back issue. I’ve seen lots of installs by other shops in different parts of the country, and other then prices and trim/transitions used it’s always looks good and everyone I’ve talked to just loves it. We install it start to finish for $12 sq ft plus materials. Materials cost average is $7 sq ft. I say average on materials cost since there are many options. OH did I mention that this product is used in most Walmarts entrys and other departments thruout the country, think about all those shopping carts cruising over the floor. I assume most of us will have less traffic for the life of our coach then any wally world does in a day....
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When I did our MH 70% or more of my labor was removing the carpet and prepping for the laminate. over 30 hours went into getting ready for the laminate application.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #5

owlcreek, I'll tag along on this post, because my 99 DSDP will be in line for this in a few years. I'd be inclined to go with some thing other than laminate, because there is laminate in my unit. Factory ? Previous owner ? not sure, but there is an issue, in front of the sink and shower, not worn out just starting to buckle.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just installed a floating Pergo floor in my MH for $1.77 sf. plus .25 sf for the moisture barrier. I got around the issue of doing slide outs by only replacing the floor from the side entry door all the way back to the back bedroom. It's about 36" wide (4 planks) Fortunately the carpet was still in good shape. It came out very nice.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Laminate is nice...BUT, not the easiest to repair when water damaged. Check out Karndean flooring, itís a rubber flooring that is used in the RV industry by many shops with great success. We install it start to finish for $12 sq ft plus materials. Materials cost average is $7 sq ft. .

So, around $4,500 for a typical 36-38' motorhome?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We are replacing the carpet in our Sunova at this time. I was told by Winnebago to take the trim and metal off the slide and run it out and then I would have full access to the floor. I am using Allure Ultra from Home Depot, it is solid vinyl and is water proof. I am starting on the kitchen slide so I can just slide the flooring under that slide and the living room slide is moved out so I have full access to the floor on that side to hook the boards together. I am also doing the dinning area of the slide.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

I second the suggestion for Allure Ultra. We've just replaced all the flooring in our new-to-us FW. It's about $3/sq. ft. and is relatively easy to work with, although a table saw is handy.

liz
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
GPW

$80.00 a sq.ft.. That sounds rather High Who is installing it , the Pope ??? If you got that price from a dealer , i could understand that ... Our RV dealer has "the technician" in the back , an old guy who moves slower than molasses on ice .... and they charge by the hour ... naturally ... No repair book , just however long it takes ... @125/hr. Funny , every price he quoted me was $5000.00 Fix a hole in the roof , 5K , change the tires , 5K, wash the trailer 5K ... Figured that was his favorite number...
Get a price somewhere else ... unless you have 5K to toss away ... They figure if you drive a motorcoach, you can afford it ... and you probably can ..
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlcreek View Post
I am thinking of replacing the carpet with laminate in my 99 dutch star. How do i handle the slideout problem? I have been quoted about 80 dollars a sq. ft . There are some very nice floor products for around 5. 75 dollars seems a little steep for labor. I would like to do this myself as I have installed laminate in a house before with good results but the slideout lis my hangup. Anyone been down this road? Help.

owlcreek
Got mine done for $600.00 full cost. Ripped out carpet front of Monaco Knight right to the bathroom, left Ceramic tile in Kitchen and Bathroom. We paid $300.00 for Vinyl laminate and $300.00 install.
The vinyl laminate doesn't crack in the cold or heat. Some of the prices I see quoted are ridiculous.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #12

I put bamboo in mine, 5/8 in thick, 3 in wide. It install just like you would hardwood. It is tongue and groove. It's very nice and it looks just like hardwood. It is already laminated and one coat under the board makes a protection from humidity. Plus, it's a green product.

Maxi
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #13

Slide outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I just installed a floating Pergo floor in my MH for $1.77 sf. plus .25 sf for the moisture barrier. I got around the issue of doing slide outs by only replacing the floor from the side entry door all the way back to the back bedroom. It's about 36" wide (4 planks) Fortunately the carpet was still in good shape. It came out very nice.
Did you have any trouble with the slide outs coming back in over the Pergo?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisman View Post
Did you have any trouble with the slide outs coming back in over the Pergo?
I left just enough carpet for the slide to cover the carpet when closed, the rest is Pergo. I have seen others with a full laminate floor, with and without damage from the slides.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote