Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwit View Post
Yup, that's the issue I'm having to work around. The carpet slopes down a ramp that the slide rides on when being retracted. Not sure how I'm going to work that with the new floor. Maybe a PM to Ernie....

that is why i wanted to say some thing

some dont think about it intell

the owner befor me did this so i well soon make a video of the
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #30
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not think there are rollers at all on the slides that close over carpet. Winnebago told me to install rollers under the slide room if I am switching from carpet to tile.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
If you don't want to go to the expense of adding something you really don't need, just use some of the pieces of luxury vinyl planks
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Absolutely Not. I never mess with how the factory installed the slide. I cut the carpet close to the slide and with a pry bar, I pry the carpet up under the slide and with channel locks, pull hard.
Thanks Ernie, That has alway's bothered me as to how I would tackle that when the time comes.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ugh

Ok, here's an update. Well, first let me start with somewhat of a warning: When you decide to do a project, it might be a good idea to do a little research first. Let me explain...
The DW and I decided to do this after she was helping her mother update her home. She was looking at flooring options and discovered luxury vinyl that looked like hardwood. I said that I had been wanting to redo the flooring in the MH and did a quick search here on irv2. Found a couple of posts about Allure, ran to Home Depo, and presto, had about 200 square feet of flooring to replace the carpet and linoleum in my coach. All good so far. Then I started thinking. How was I going to install a floating floor when there were some areas (especially under the slides) where movement was NOT an option? Then I started reading. According to the manufacture's literature, Allure should not be used in RVs or exposed to extreme high or low temps. We live in GA, so lows aren't really a problem, but highs sure are. So I sent a PM to Ernie Ekberg, the guru of RV flooring, asking him about the Allure. He said he never installs Allure because of the issues I described.
I know that there are some of you that have installed Allure and it's working out great. I also know that with the kind of luck that I have, I wouldn't be one of you. Mine will be the one that curls up, cracks, spontaneously combusts, or whatever happens to this flooring when it gets too hot.
So I'm back to deciding what flooring to use. I think Ernie recommends gluing over floating, and his go-to material is Adura by Maddington. Think I'll start there after I return the Allure. Can't quit now. The carpet and linoleum are already torn out and we leave for Maine in August.
Now, if I can figure out how to return the Allure and get the new stuff without the DW finding out about it...
Bringing the RV back to the house this weekend, so I'll have more updates on my lack of progress then.
Thanks for reading. Writing has become therapy...
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed Allure and am sorry I did it. Even though I rolled and pressed hard on every seam, many of them have opened up. The slide on my Winne doesn't have rollers and only an aluminum curved bar that runs parallel to the slide. The Allure is now scratched everywhere the aluminum touches it.

My next try will a one piece floating vinyl. I will have to use slide "runners" when I bring the slides in to protect it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #35

Triple E Owners Club
JFYI Here is what I had installed:

Karndean Art Select Wood RL11 with variable width planks and laid on a diagonal.
TPS floor adhesive
Self leveling Float
Black Coin pattern stair tread
Marine Wrinkle Vinyl on sides of steps
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I installed Allure and am sorry I did it. Even though I rolled and pressed hard on every seam, many of them have opened up. The slide on my Winne doesn't have rollers and only an aluminum curved bar that runs parallel to the slide. The Allure is now scratched everywhere the aluminum touches it.

My next try will a one piece floating vinyl. I will have to use slide "runners" when I bring the slides in to protect it.
Ditto on all counts.

It sure beats the carpet but the slides have scratched it and seams have begun to open.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #37

I witnessed this Allure business first hand in one of our rentals that had that installed. We have since moved on to better quality materials.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok. The weekend update. I continue to learn things that I should have learned before I started this project. I'll explain in a bit.
First, the accomplishments. I was able to get the rest of the carpet and padding out from around the driver's seat. Once again I was astounded (dismayed) at the amount of glue that the Winnie folks used when they put down this carpet. And it's got to be the stickiest stuff on the planet. But I overcame. There is still a ton of carpet fibers and pieces of foam stuck in the sticky morass. See the picture below.
I also removed the carpet and padding from around the passenger seat. See above...
I also removed the carpet from the step well. See above, but ignore the part about the padding...
My son got the rest of the tile up from the kitchen and hallway.
That's the good stuff. Now for the bad. I have been fretting about the slides since I yanked up the first piece of the carpet. In fact, I had pulled every stitch of carpeting up except where the slides first ride up on their ramps. Yesterday I decided that waiting wouldn't magically make LVT appear on the ramps, so I might as well go ahead and see what I'm up against. Oops. Now I have a metal slide ramp (pretty sure that's not the technical term) with some pretty large screw heads poking up out of it. (Pics in the next post will show it.) Ain't no way vinyl is going to cover that up without bunching/tearing the first time I run the slides in. Dagnabit.
Here's the issue, and things I wish I had taken into account before I started.
1. We leave for Maine in less than 6 weeks, and the DW is insistent that a raw plywood/sticky metal floor is unacceptable.
2. I have a full-time job.
3. According to the HOA police, I can only have my RV at the house for 2 days during the weekends.
4. We leave for Maine in less than 6 weeks.
5. I still have to pick out and purchase the new vinyl, put in a subfloor, get rid of or cover over the sticky morass, lay the new floor, trim out the new floor, and put everything back where it belongs.
6. We leave for Maine in less than 6 weeks.
As I see it, I basically have two choices. I can be stubborn and finish it come hell or high water. I know that I have the ability to do it. I'll just tell the family we'll do Maine some other time. They'll eventually get over their disappointment, right? Or, I can break out the checkbook.
Kenny Rogers said it well-"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run." It's time to walk away. (DW says run, but that's not dignified.)
So the hunt begins for an RV flooring guy in NE Georgia.
Pics to follow.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404078905.491975.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	807.3 KB
ID:	66428Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404078965.475678.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	66429Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404078991.421305.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	732.1 KB
ID:	66430Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404079015.958980.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	761.8 KB
ID:	66431
Old 06-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #40

Replacing carpet with Allure. Ouch!

All I can say is I am glad I have no HOA! Living in the country has it's advantages.
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #41

All I can say is WOW!! and Thank You for doing this thread, Jeff. I was toying with where on the project list should a flooring R&R fit in when this thread began.

Now it's going to be next year, after doing a lot of research. Lucky for us, the carpet isn't nasty or damaged, so we have that luxury of time on our side.

Wish I was closer to GA and you'd have a helping hand. I much prefer learning on somebody else's projects
Old 06-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #42

Jeff, Every Winnebago that I have done shows exactly what you have experienced. Get some floor patch and mix it up pretty thin. Spread that all over that crummy adhesive. Let it dry. You will have some ridges, pieces of carpet, etc, but the sticky business will be gone. Take a scraper with a razor and cut the old carpet protrusions and ridges in you patch.
Whatever new material you choose, you may have to add some more patch to smooth things out.
One caveat: IF your steel in front is not the same height with your main floor, you will either have to add patch to that, some underlayment, or a vinyl T molding to bridge the gap you would need to leave due to the uneven ridge that the floor may have.
Not one single Winnebago, with my experience, is the same. If there is one- it is hiding somewhere

Tags
carpet