Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man, Ernie, I wish you lived next door. My Winnie is all of the above. The sticky stuff, the metal floor being a different level than the main, and there are even different levels in the metal. I've got the Durham's water putty sitting in the garage. I just don't have time to get it done before we go to Maine.

jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And Bamaboy, glad you could learn from my mistakes. If you were closer and I had more time, I'd take you up on your offer and we could learn together. Although from your user name it sounds like we would have to debate the relative merits of football teams in the state of Alabama.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Jeff- take an hour- throw that Durhams down,stop the stickiness- go by a carpet remnant- hit the road
Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Jeff- take an hour- throw that Durhams down,stop the stickiness- go by a carpet remnant- hit the road
What great advice!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dang it, you guys are going to get me divorced. But I'm intrigued. Quick question. Will the Dunham's work for the vertical walls in the stairwell? And Ernie, I still don't know what to do about the slides. The driver's side slide is on a curved piece of metal that slid in on the carpet. There were screw heads poking up on the floor portion on the ramp. See my pic above. What can I cover those up with? Vinyl won't do it, right?
Passenger slide has rollers. Those I can deal with.
My wife just might kill me...
Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Ok, if you want hard surface on the slide, you will have to add plywood and extend it a little past the main floor ramp. Leave the step well walls alone till after your trip. If anyone asks- you have a work in progress and playtime is more important then work. I should live by that phrase~
Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #49

Hi Jeffwit,
I am glad I found you! We are almost finished the removal of carpet and vinyl in our MH and have a similar prob with drivers area. Had any ideas yet? We thought maybe to use commercial grade, low nap carpet from fire wall to just behind seat bases then vinyl plank back from there.
Tom
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #50

Jeff,
Be sure to study my thread for how my slide with rollers worked. Pulling carpet off the slide (for me) was what made it all work.

New flooring hardwood for Revolution - documenting process

Look at the last picture in my post #33. That black metal is the ramp the roller comes up on (that slide had 5). The carpet was installed up to and under that ramp, and then had an aluminum strip screwed across the entire edge of carpet to hold it down (as if the 42,194 staples wasn't sufficient!!!).

OK, so that white piece held down with the giant screws in your picture. Was that OVER or UNDER the carpet? Reason I ask is that looks similar to something on mine that was essentially OVER the carpet holding it down (so a roller wouldn't catch and pull carpet). You say there are ramps, the ramps aren't that white material with the giant screw is it? That doesn't look like metal to me. Anyways, figure out what that is for, and it it was a carpet retaining strip remove it. If it has to stay, replace the screws with ones with flat heads. This problem has a solution ;-)

Chris

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chris, that stuff was under the carpet. There are no rollers on that side, it comes in essentially on a curve metal lip. I'm thinking (if I decide to keep going with this) to re-cover that area with a piece of carpeting and extend the platform on the slide out a couple of inches to cover it up when the slide is out.
The jury is still out on whether or not I'm going to finish this out or let somebody do it for me. Getting a quote here pretty soon, so that will help make the decision.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwit View Post
?....I still don't know what to do about the slides. The driver's side slide is on a curved piece of metal that slid in on the carpet. There were screw heads poking up on the floor portion on the ramp. See my pic above. What can I cover those up with? Vinyl won't do it, right?
Passenger slide has rollers. Those I can deal with.
My wife just might kill me...
My local fastenal store has Teflon/nylon strips in various sizes. Perhaps you could use something like that to make non sctrach skids.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaytom View Post
Hi Jeffwit,
I am glad I found you! We are almost finished the removal of carpet and vinyl in our MH and have a similar prob with drivers area. Had any ideas yet? We thought maybe to use commercial grade, low nap carpet from fire wall to just behind seat bases then vinyl plank back from there.
Tom
Tom, if you read a couple of posts back, Ernie recommends using some sort of diluted floor leveler to spread over the sticky stuff. I was/am going to use Durham's water putty. We like the idea of the entire floor being "hardwood", but in my darker moments I did consider what you are describing. I'm sure it would look good, it's just not what we want.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Virago-Rider;2116976]My local fastenal store has Teflon/nylon strips in various sizes. Perhaps you could use something like that to make non sctrach skids.

That sounds like a good idea. I had thought about leaving some carpet there, but I like the Teflon strip idea better. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #55

Jeff; just to clarify what people do when replacing their flooring.....are you doing the main living walkway AND the slide-out flooring, too?

While the factory plastic is still under the dinette table (carpet on slide-out floor), it would look a little weird for there to be carpet on the slide floor and hardwood on the main walkway.

What is the normal fix?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
While the factory plastic is still under the dinette table (carpet on slide-out floor), it would look a little weird for there to be carpet on the slide floor and hardwood on the main walkway.

What is the normal fix?
Is this what you mean by having carpet on the slide out floor with hard surface flooring on the main floor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04159.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	66618  

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet