Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #15

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hey Kirbdog, welcome to the site and the post.

Allure is what I have purchased and in that color. My local Home Depot is closing and i purchased all the floor and extras for 20% off.

We are still working on the glue that the carpet installer slathered everywhere.

Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Measure, measure, measure...
Would highly recommend one of those vibrating multi-tools before AND during installation. Makes taking up any floor covering a breeze. Staples and adhesives are no match and when it comes to trimming door frames or a straight edge, these things do it quick, fairly clean, and very painless.
Replaced half of our mh's flooring with cherry laminate purchased at a yard sale for $10/box. Got the 3 they had for $25 and researched a bit to find matching trim and transitions at Home Depot. Took a weekend to do and made a huge impact on the look and feel.
Good luck and have fun with it.

2001 24' Trail-lite MH by R-vision w/8.1L Chev.
NatureCalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbdog1 View Post
Hi,
New to the site, but could not resist to post on this topic. I highly suggest you look at putting in an Allure floor from Home Depot. It is a vinyl floor that looks like wood, simple to install...and I mean simple, kind of a peel and stick except only on the edges without the peeling. It is free floating and looks great. Only thing is that it is a little bit more slippery, but the biggest thing is that it is water resistant. We have had laminate, but once you get water on it and it get's through those cracks, it's all over. Underneath that veneer laminate is pretty much just pressed together sawdust. It will bubble up and look nasty. A little spill would not be an issue, but if you have kids or an accident, you'll be wishing you put in an Allure floor. We choose the Golden Oak planks. About $1.79 a square foot. Hope this helps!
Allure is on our list of Spring projects.

I'd like to line the floor with aluminum foil, staple Step RV over that, and then stick on the Allure.

The resulting 3-ply floor should mimic the current thickness for slideout purposes and stay warm in the winter and cool during summer.

Has anyone tried this, have any ideas?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with deandec, I like my carpet.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #19

One thought is to consider true linoleum 12" squares. Armstrong (and maybe others) make it. The old fashioned stuff. The color goes all the way through. it's tougher than any floor tile except ceramic. Now comes in many colors to do creative cuts if you want like inlays. Price last I saw is something like 97 cents a square foot piece. They even make some that looks less "hospital like" and have earth tones and looks pretty nice.
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
I agree with deandec !
plus...
Carpet quiets the interior noise.
Carpet holds dust and such till it's time to vacuum.
Carpet is comfortable to walk on.

Chacun a son gout !
Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the Allure, simple project, and according to the boss it looks good . But I think if I had to do it over again for whatever reason, I would go back to carpet.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #22

We been planning to do the floor for while and been getting quotes. We receive one at 2000.00 and that just labor. Another one for 65.00 per running foot for removing and installing, we supply the materials. We found a RV guy that would do the job for 550.00 labor. We are going with the Allure.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Another one for 65.00 per running foot for removing and installing, we supply the materials.
I'm in the wrong business ....
Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #24

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Carpet verses hard surfaces is a personal preference. Life styles are different for all. I only have carpet in a few rooms in my house and hate every floor that has it. Just me.

As for the cost of labor, some jobs will be labor intensive to get the floor ready for the laminate. In my case the last carpet installer glued every inch of the padding to the floor and then glued every inch of the carpet to the padding.

I have used sixty dollars in solvent to remove the adhesive. from the floor. Since I started I have invested, with my DW, around 12 hours. I will finish this stage today with about 2 more hours.

Love those home projects.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We recently had the laminate wood taken out of the kitchen area and chose to put down wood plank look vinyl tile instead. We could not be happier with the result and have recieved comments on it from nearly everyone who enters the coach. We did let Dixie RV (James) in Hammond LA put ours down though, they did an outstanding job. Can't tell you the labor cost because Fleetwood paid for it (washer leaked, lifting laminate) but the floor was about $100. Beauty of the vinyl is that its flexible and moves with the stress of the coach. Going to have carpets cleaned this weekend for the first time. If result is good, I'll keep my carpet...if not, I want all vinyl tile. Like the benefits of carpet, but don't like dirty carpet. Look forward to seeing the pictures of your completed job Chickenman. But agree with deandec....like the formality and warmth of the carpet.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #26

New flooring

We just finished installing square vinyl tile in our 38' sportscoach with slide out. The carpet looked very bad from the former owner, and we looked in a lot of new high end coaches at an RV show and found none of them had much carpet except in the bedroom. Some of the high capacity chassis actually used ceramic tile but it is very heavy and can crack with flexing. Some tile was grouted but that can crack also, so we used a diamond pattern with out grout for our installation. We will install carpet for the slide out next week. We spent about 45 hours removing old carpet and the hardwood section by the kitchen, primming the floor, installing the tile, and fitting trim moulding around the perimeter. The old hardwood floor in the kitchen area was badly scratched and the finish had lifted where it had been wet. The tile was a high end 20 year wear style from Home Depot, and cost under $300.00 Since our basement is heated, the floor stays comfortable on cold days. DACOTAH
Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #27

I did this with my Alpine--took 2-3 days and came out great. Drove it for a couple of years with no problems--sold it. I glued the boards to each other and used 1/4 round against the walls. Depending on the wall material this can take some thought. Suggest you figure it out with a small piece of 1/4 round -- gluing will likely not work--may have to use screws or small nails but figure it out first. Ended up using several screws to hold it down on the slide side and under the counter where no wall could be used. I was able to get it under the bathroom toilet walls in the hallway which made for a cleaner install. Never had an expansion problem. Just take your time and have fun! Well worth the effort - you will find you need to "clean, sweep and damp mop" much more often than with carpet and/or tile.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a follow up for the carpet lovers out there...had Stanley Steemer come in and do all the carpeting in the coach, including my 4 large area rugs (2 2x4 and 2 18"x48). I could not be happier with job they did, all of it for $109 including the front footwells and doghouse.

fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote