Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Replacing carpet with laminate floor

I have been planning all winter to remove the carpeting and replace with laminate flooring. I have read just about every post concerning this project here at irv2.

I will begin removing the carpet tomorrow and prep the floor this weekend. Due to commitments on all my February weekends I will not start replacing the floor until March. I will post the prep pictures as I can. Wish me luck and please…. Send me any ideas or experiences you have had with this project.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have done your home work, good luck and take your time, couple of months before summer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have obtained 3 quotes for replacing my carpet with laminate, all over $3000. Material can't be more than $500? I wonder what is so hard about replacing carpet with laminate in an RV?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Hello I replaced the floor in my older 5thwheel with laminate the only thing I would do is glue just the seems (do not glue the floor down) put the floor down just like in a regular home.It was really a easy job .
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #5

wthomas1 with quotes like that I'd try and do the re-flooring yourself if you have the time! Ouch thats expensive!

Have laid laminate flooring in my folks home and its pretty easy stuff to put down,an Rv should easier! Just a long box, also with how little of the actual floor sometimes shows due to dinettes,tables,kitchen cabinets the hardware should be cheap enough.

We are actually looking to replace our flooring, have laid cheapo stick on tiles in the bedroom & kitchen but will replace all our old exisiting carpet in the lounge area & the old tile with better stuff soon.

good luck with either finding a more reasonable quote or tackling the job yourself
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Hi,
I did the carpet to laminate conversion on our '95 National. I removed everything that wasn't nailed down.

The hardest part of the job was removing the one zillion staples they used to hold down the blue shag carpet!

It took about seven packs of flooring that I bought at Sam's Club for around $27 dollars a pack. The job was completed in about two weekends.

....Bob.
seldomseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

Looks GREAT!! You would think the manufacturers would get the hint and STOP putting carpet in RVs...
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #8

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Bob, great job. Thanks for the pics and links. I will finish removing the carpet padding and original laminate in the galley today. The past owner replaced the carpet about five years ago and the installer didn't want the carpet to ever come out. Every inch of it is glued down.

Will try solvent to finish the removal.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #9

The only problem I had was getting the first rows started. With the slideout there is nothing to push against to snap the first couple rows.I finally glued a couple rows together and when the glue dried I slid them under the slide.I then nailed them at the edge of the slide.The rest was just a lot of patience .
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our laminate at Sam's Club for around $27 a box. Then hired a flooring installer for $500. The BIG problem is-what type of slide out do you have? If you have one like mine with skids, I would not recommend using laminate. The skid will scratch the laminate as you move the slide in and out. If yours has rollers, just make sure the rollers are kept clean. Also, taper the edge of the first run of laminate that goes under the slideout so the slide out rollers can climb up and on top of the laminate.
Our floor is scratched but we dealt with that by an area rug over the laminate, which we were going to use anyway as laminate is cold and will scratch in the long run with rocks or sand under your shoes. If you have dogs, you might also consider their nails that will scratch the laminate.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
"You would think the manufacturers would get the hint and STOP putting carpet in RVs... "

Carpet is warm on cool days. Not noticed on warm days.
Carpet will not show scratchs or dents.
Carpet is not slippery and won't hurt my dog's joints.
Carpet can be changed if color choice dictates.
Carpet can be cleaned and vacuumed.
Throw rugs can be used on carpet just as on laminate.
Carpet can even look formal and pleasant.
Our rigs carpet is 16 years old and still performs well.

I have 1,000 feet of hardwood wood flooring in my S&B. What a pain!
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Which do people think looks better? Laminate run front to back (long axis), or side to side?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I would run it long ways with the coach length as in the picture above. As for the price you were quoted it appears to be very inflated. I have installed laminated floors in several of my rental homes that required 6 or 8 times the material and have never paid that amount.

All you need is a chop saw that will cut across the width of the panels you choose and a few hand tools. Like siding make sure the ends of the panels are at random and they will virtually disappear. Almost any tool rental will have the saw if you don't.

Good luck and post some pics for us when finished.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #14

Hi,
New to the site, but could not resist to post on this topic. I highly suggest you look at putting in an Allure floor from Home Depot. It is a vinyl floor that looks like wood, simple to install...and I mean simple, kind of a peel and stick except only on the edges without the peeling. It is free floating and looks great. Only thing is that it is a little bit more slippery, but the biggest thing is that it is water resistant. We have had laminate, but once you get water on it and it get's through those cracks, it's all over. Underneath that veneer laminate is pretty much just pressed together sawdust. It will bubble up and look nasty. A little spill would not be an issue, but if you have kids or an accident, you'll be wishing you put in an Allure floor. We choose the Golden Oak planks. About $1.79 a square foot. Hope this helps!
kirbdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote