Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #15

I wanted to thank everyone for your kind suggestions and encouragement. The sheet vinyl sounds like it is the best solution to Mr. Winslow's occasional incontinence. (durned old dog, love him to death) Thanks again everyone and safe travels!
J

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #16

english bulldog too

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjeep View Post
Waggin wagon,
We have a 2000 MADP and I have just finished replacing my carpet and tile with new porcelain tile. I know you want wood but I think what I found will apply to you as well as the thickness will be similar.

First of all you are almost stuck with carpet in your slideouts. Otherwise you will have a gap once the slideout goes out. On our coach we only have one slideout (living area).

The thickness of your new floor is the key. As your slideout comes in and lifts up you have to hold your new floor back far enough that the edge of the plywood under the slideout does not catch on the edge of your new floor. You will also need to bevel the edge of the wood floor where the rollers hit.

The thickness of your new floor will also determine whether or not you need to change the rollers under your slide to a smaller diameter. I used an ECB membrane for underlayment under the new tile so I was dealing with approximately 1/2" thickness total and barely squeaked by without having to change the rollers.

Last you will have to replace the carpet in the slideout with new carpet that is banded just like you have now but with enough overhang to cover the gap.

The step area can also be a challenge because of the differing thickness. We tiled our steps including the powered step cover but it took a lot of thinking it through to get it right. I'm a cabinet builder, if your a home builder I'm sure you'll figure it all out.

Good luck. I love the way ours has turned out. Lot easier to clean. We have a bulldog that sheds like a beast.

By the way, if your planing on pulling up the old tile in the kitchen and bathroom, get ready for a job. The underlayment is glued to the floor and runs under the walls and cabinets at least 1/2" everywhere. Kicked my butt.
I am thinking of doing the same thing as i have a super shedder too a English Bulldog.

mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #17

Wow Deanjeep that porcelain tile floor looks great. I am in a cross between choosing if I want to do tile flooring or a laminate finish. Because, right now I have carpet but I also have a two dogs and the carpet gets dirty very easily. Anyone else got any pictures of their new floor?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Julie,

I wouldn't put wood down for dogs. Consider either sheet vinyl or vinyl plank (like Allure or Allure Ultra).

liz

Exactly what we did and just love it.

Good thread here on flooring replacement, my post on the project with pics is number 6:
flooring upgrade

EDIT: BTW, was looking at the old post and see that it was over two years ago now. Flooring still looks brand new. Couldn't be happier.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #19

lancer212,

We did a lot more than floors in our '98 Alumascape. Here's a web site with before and after photos. You can see the floors in several of the pictures.

1998 Alumascape 30RLS Remodel

Also, if you'll look in my photo albums, there are photos of the floor install in progress, plus a thread or two in the FW forum.

liz
Old 10-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carpet is not good.. Wood floors are not good... Tile is too heavy.

There are man made floor materials that look excellent, lightweight, easy to install and durable.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Here's our project, which was done for the very same reason as yours. https://picasaweb.google.com/114473195999693263617/99AdventurerFloorInteriorProject

The most difficult portion of the project is removing the staples, workers must have been paid by the staple not by hour. We used Pergo flooring, but I caution you about it being very vulnerable to moisture. It seems pretty stable on the top surface if the moisture is readily caught, however if the raw ends and edges are exposed puckering and lifting could occur. I would recommend as pre posters have "Allure Flooring" It's adhesive backed vinyl and is relatively thin, however do not apply it over any existing vinyl or it will creep and slide. I bought my Pergo flooring at "Ollies Discount Stores" and it was very inexpensive. Whatever way you go the switch will be well worth the effort. Another reminder most coaches have plywood subfloor up to just behind the front captains chairs. This would be a good place to divide the job and leave the carpet forward of that point due to the uneven steel cab floor can be a nightmare installing rigid flooring
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Did your Mh come with this lay out or did you change it yourself with the recliner where the table normally is?
Great looking floor.
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #23

Clarification on the Allure and Allure Ultra.

Allure is NOT adhesive-backed vinyl. It does have adhesive strips on one side and one end that stick to the underside of the adjacent piece. Allure Ultra has a locking channel rather than adhesive, and a bit more texture (and fewer color choices).

Both Allure and Allure Ultra are floating floors. They're supposed to slip and slide over the subfloor. It's extremely important not to tack any part down in any way (e.g., by putting a nail through it when you install quarter round). The floor expands when it's warm and contracts when it's cool. If you have any part tacked down so that it can't float, your joints may (probably will) separate. (Ask me how I know....)

If the floor floats, the whole "mat" expands or contracts and the joints stay together.

I cannot stress enough the importance of that floating part. Furthermore, I think that the gap that the instructions suggest may be a little too small, especially if you are in a climate that gets very hot. If there's not much room for the floor to expand, the joints may buckle.

liz
Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #24
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
Here's our project, which was done for the very same reason as yours. https://picasaweb.google.com/114473195999693263617/99AdventurerFloorInteriorProject

The most difficult portion of the project is removing the staples, workers must have been paid by the staple not by hour. We used Pergo flooring, but I caution you about it being very vulnerable to moisture. It seems pretty stable on the top surface if the moisture is readily caught, however if the raw ends and edges are exposed puckering and lifting could occur. I would recommend as pre posters have "Allure Flooring" It's adhesive backed vinyl and is relatively thin, however do not apply it over any existing vinyl or it will creep and slide. I bought my Pergo flooring at "Ollies Discount Stores" and it was very inexpensive. Whatever way you go the switch will be well worth the effort. Another reminder most coaches have plywood subfloor up to just behind the front captains chairs. This would be a good place to divide the job and leave the carpet forward of that point due to the uneven steel cab floor can be a nightmare installing rigid flooring
Your say not to apply it over any existing vinyl so would the recommendation be to remove the vinyl and apply it over whatever the subflooring is?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
lancer212,

We did a lot more than floors in our '98 Alumascape. Here's a web site with before and after photos. You can see the floors in several of the pictures.

1998 Alumascape 30RLS Remodel

Also, if you'll look in my photo albums, there are photos of the floor install in progress, plus a thread or two in the FW forum.

liz
Holy cow...you had a lot more than just flooring to replace. Nice job!

But a website for it? Wow.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M.
Did your Mh come with this lay out or did you change it yourself with the recliner where the table normally is?
Great looking floor.
Don M.,
No it came with the table & chairs where the recliner is now and the recliner where the table is now. We tried it this way on a whim and both really liked it. Believe or not it makes the coach "feel" bigger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1178810464.png
Views:	140
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	15144

Here's a pic looking forward.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Don M.,
No it came with the table & chairs where the recliner is now and the recliner where the table is now. We tried it this way on a whim and both really liked it. Believe or not it makes the coach "feel" bigger.

Attachment 15144

Here's a pic looking forward.
The DW is wanting to change ours around to. What flooring did you use?
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #28

cjbrown,

I got the idea of a web site from someone else who posts here. For one thing, I never want to forget what we went through to get it the way it is (and after living in it every weekend for the past almost three months, I'm so accustomed to the new look that I have forgotten what it looked like when we got it). For another, there are quite a few friends and family who are interested, and maybe a few people here. There's just too much info to put in e-mails or posts here. This way, whoever is interested can just go look, and look at the parts that are of interest.

It's been a saga, and we're still working on the place where it's located, but we are getting closer and closer to having things the way we want them.

liz