Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #15

I'm not sure but if I bought the parts I'd be sorely temped to install them at home rather than somewhere on the road. I try to do all my own repairs and that would be a difficult job on the road. But if traveling at least if you have the parts you don't have to spend a few days waiting for them to arrive. Make sense to me.
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dont quote me here, but I thought the 3126 fan drive was compatable and has the grease fitting, On are bigger cats at work we run a remote grease line, its small hose at 3000 psi with replaceable ends so you can make it any lenght you want, But that raises a question, If the bearing is replaceable , with the bearing removed cant it just be drilled out before installing the new bearing? and install a grease fitting? curious, having a c7 myself, and will be going down this same road

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Sammie, I wonder if that would work for me. Having all the parts on hand would scare off any trouble. Several years ago I bought all the nylon/plastic bushing the slide-out runs on since I could see some cracks in mine and didn't want to have trouble on the road with the room not moving and no parts available. I still have the parts but the old ones are wearing down enough now and breaking more chips off to let the room drag more on the carpet so I'm going to have them all replaced at HWH in April.
wagonmaster2,

This picture of my rig on the "HOOK" is the prime example of not carrying enough spare parts. This breakdown was only the result of a broken serpintine belt of which I now carry a spare. I am a firm believer that if you carry the spare part, you will never have a problem with that particular part breaking. Just call it extended motorhome insurance, only in this case, you buy the parts up front. Heck, if I could afford it, I'd carry a backup motor but then I would have to pull a trailer to haul it in.

Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #18

Just did full pm and I asked the cat shop and they told me not to worry if it's not making noise. My concern is once it makes noise trouble is at hand and you can be far away from a proper shop. My cat is a 3126e with 69,000 miles and bearing has never been replaced and I am considering doing it before we start traveling this spring. I did not appreciate the don't fix it till its broke comment from cat.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #19

The 3126e has no grease fitting?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Just did full pm and I asked the cat shop and they told me not to worry if it's not making noise. My concern is once it makes noise trouble is at hand and you can be far away from a proper shop. My cat is a 3126e with 69,000 miles and bearing has never been replaced and I am considering doing it before we start traveling this spring. I did not appreciate the don't fix it till its broke comment from cat.
That's always been my concern, once you start to hear a squealing/grumbling sound (if it is possible to hear even a jack hammer at the back of the coach) how many miles do you have to get someplace. I try to get a hold of the end of the blades from under that back to see if there's any wiggle in them before each trip but not sure how much good that can do with the tension of the serpentine belt on the pulley.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #21

After shooting gazillions of rounds in competitive firearms my ears are not what they used to be. If/when I hear squealing or grumbling it is way to late. I still wiggle the fan blade for tightness or looseness.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fan