Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Michelin brand seems to get more approval ratings than any other mfg, and are typically installed on new motor homes as standard and also probably the most expensive.

If you are an FMCA member, they have a Michelin discount program than can save a lot of cash.

Cheaper brands that have a good following here are Toyo, Hankook, and Yokohama.

Date code for MH tires is VERY important. Normally rv tires will never wear out of thread, but will (like yours) start to deteriorate with cracks and such and become very unreliable. What ever brand you get, try to insist on tires that have a date code in 2015.

Good luck

Ron
I agree, there is a reason Michilins are installed on virtually all new motor homes. I can't understand why a person would spend a 100 grand plus on a motorhome for thier children and grandchildren then cheap out and try to save a few hundred bucks those junk Chinese tires.......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb1881 View Post
We own a Class A- 1994 Fleetwood Coronado. We have never replaced the tires on the motorhome.
It's often difficult to pick up on the nuances of conversation via the written word, so I'm just going to ask: The way I read this sounds in my head like you're the original owners who have never replaced their tires in 21 years... please tell me I'm wrong

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

A lot of RVers behave as if Michelins are the only good tires in the world; guess what, they're not. After consulting a very knowledgeable truck tire shop that had access to literally dozens of brands, we chose to replace our front steers this spring with Hankooks, a Korean brand that we've used for years on our cars. The Hankooks were 2/3 the price of the Michelins even after the FMCA discount. What was unexpected is that they are quieter and have a smoother ride than did the XZE2+'s they replaced.

Note to FMCA--I no longer have a reason to remain a member; you can count me out when my membership expires.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb1881 View Post
Hi Everyone,
My husband & I are planning on taking a trip hopefully in the next couple months.
We own a Class A- 1994 Fleetwood Coronado. We have never replaced the tires on the motorhome. We live up in the high desert in Southern California.
Our tires are cracked. We would like to get the tires replaced before taking our trip.
My Question is to other people-
Have you replaced your motorhome tires?
Which brand of tires would you say are the best?
I am not sure what to look for.
With tires I have read online some people like a certain brand & other people say to avoid the brand.
I really am not sure which brand of tire would be the best. I am also not sure what the size of the tire is; It'll probably be on the tire?

Any suggestions or advice would be great.
If you still have the original tires after 20 years why wouldn't you get more of the same?
20 years is over twice the suggested max life for Class-A tires. If you haven't had problems why change?

I have a blog post on "Best Tire" that may help you make a decision. or at least filter some of the "old wives tales" out of the conversation.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #19

Tires

I think I would be somewhat concerned to even drive it to the tire shop. Tire age is more important than miles. 5-7 years max. Buy the best you can afford.
Make is opinion. Michelins are my choice.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Toyo's thru Les Schwab. I replaced Michelin's with Toyo's 3 years and 15,000 miles ago and am very happy.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #21

Without paying too much, just for a big name, Hankook seems to be one of the top brands of choice. It's a Korean Company and now, even they, are Chinese made. Not sure how many companies are not sourcing out to China, but it won't be long before most all are, which may include Michelin also. IMO, Michelin is mostly name and not surprisingly, they have the same US approved Dept. of Transportation number on the side wall, like they all do. With all this said, I have four genuine Chinese Hercules on my dually drive axle that have been performing very well, and wouldn't take the Goodyears I once had in exchange. Price was really right as well through Amazon and a local shop did the install. I'd have them all around, except that the other four were done while we were on the road and for whatever reason, Hercules/Amazon doesn't offer my size anymore.
As for the Chinese brands in general, I doubt it if there's much difference in their construction and also doubt if any real studies have indicated a higher failure rate with them. Again and pretty soon, they'll all be China made anyway, so there won't be anything for comparing them to.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
I agree, there is a reason Michilins are installed on virtually all new motor homes. I can't understand why a person would spend a 100 grand plus on a motorhome for thier children and grandchildren then cheap out and try to save a few hundred bucks those junk Chinese tires.......
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Michelin has had the new motorhome market because they're offering a give away price to the manufactures as a way to advertise and also to create a mindset for replacing them with the same.
As for the Chinese tires being junk and their inferiority being ignored by the US DOT, putting people and their children's lives in danger, I would have to see comparison engineering specifications to substantiate this.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just put Sumitomo tires on my coach from what I researched they own Dunlop and have great reviews from people. When I was checking the date codes on the tires it said on the side wall made in Japan and just from the ride home from the dealer it was a night and day difference from the Goodyears that were on it. I will be taking a trip this weekend so I will see how the ride is for a long trip
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #24

Thanks Everyone for your responses
Old 05-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
See .... I told you that talking about tire brands is a pot stirring experience !!!😀

I got my new ones installed today. There is a brand name on them. They were made somewhere and were expensive to me. All part of the RV'ing experience. Be happy to tell anyone what I got and what I paid but only via PM. Not gonna enter this arena.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I really don't understand this "blanket" condemnation of all tires that are not made in America. I do a lot of reading of what Roger Marble has to say on his blog about tires, and what I take away from him is that basically ALL tires made for sale in the United States must meet the standard for those tires, so their point of manufacture has nothing to do with their quality. Now, he is an engineer who has spent his entire career studying tires, so I think he carries a lot of credence.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
Stay away from China tires. Michelin has always been the best in my opinion

jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #28

Just had 6 new Sumitomo ST 178's installed and the ride is great. Load range G on my 2004 Damon. This is a mid range priced tire from Japan.
Replaced the original Goodyear's and any decent new tire will ride better than the most expensive 10 year old. Do a little research and talk to a couple tire dealers then make your own decision. Too many people's opinions will just drive you nuts.

Tags
class a, tires