Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2002 DSDP had Michelins on it, they were made in Spain and lasted 8 years with never a problem. But I also knew he full history of them and watched the pressure.
The Magna still has the OEM Michelins under it and we just bought it a couple months ago. The tires, and rest of the rig, look like it was stored inside, but I don't know the history of the tires. I assume that, due to the previous owner being a trucking co owner and the installed Smartire system that the tires have been taken care of, but there's still that nagging doubt!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb1881 View Post
Hi Everyone,
My husband & I are planning on taking a trip hopefully in the next couple months.
We own a Class A- 1994 Fleetwood Coronado. We have never replaced the tires on the motorhome. We live up in the high desert in Southern California.
Our tires are cracked. We would like to get the tires replaced before taking our trip.
My Question is to other people-
Have you replaced your motorhome tires?
Which brand of tires would you say are the best?
I am not sure what to look for.
With tires I have read online some people like a certain brand & other people say to avoid the brand.
I really am not sure which brand of tire would be the best. I am also not sure what the size of the tire is; It'll probably be on the tire?

Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Not sure where you live in the High Desert but if you live in the Victorville area go to Bob's Tire on "D" st. They are very knowledgeable and they're a commercial FMCA member so if you are one too you'll get at least a 5% discount. They do a lot of trucks and are very helpful. They can order just about any tire you want based on your budget. Great guys. They put new tires on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage that I sold last year. They were Sumitomo tires. 2/3s the price of Michelins and road and drove about the same.
We live in Apple Valley behind St. Mary's. Good luck and hope I was of some help.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #31

make sure any tire you buy has steel belted sidewalls also check date very carefully .if you have ford chassis you have 16 inch wheels walmart offers road hazard for life of tire prorated they treat it same as car tires.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Not sure where you live in the High Desert but if you live in the Victorville area go to Bob's Tire on "D" st. They are very knowledgeable and they're a commercial FMCA member so if you are one too you'll get at least a 5% discount. They do a lot of trucks and are very helpful. They can order just about any tire you want based on your budget. Great guys. They put new tires on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage that I sold last year. They were Sumitomo tires. 2/3s the price of Michelins and road and drove about the same.
We live in Apple Valley behind St. Mary's. Good luck and hope I was of some help.
Hi DD,
My husband & I actually live in apple valley too. I'll mention Bob's tires in victorville; we might go there for tires.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #33

I bought my 2004 30 ft Winn Sightseer last fall. It has Goodyear tires. I checked the mfg date and the fronts were 2010 and 2008, the rears were 2003 so original tires. I removed the rear tires last week and found a knot on the sidewall of one so looking for tires now. I own several trailers which like MH don't wear tires out but do fail due to age. I use to buy only made in the USA tires but the last several sets of Goodyear tires I bought for my trailers are Good Years and are made in China. If you do some checking and looking you might be surprised at the tires that are made overseas today. I tow a 28 foot enclosed trailer with my MH which weighs close to 10,000 lbs and I want a good tire on it but made in China today doesn't mean tires are total junk. The Michelins on my 2010 Equinox have 30,000 on them, they have lots of tread left yet the sidewalls are all cracked from sun rot and need replaced. Keep your tires out of the sun or covered, always check the air pressure before a trip and don't overload the tire beyond it's capacity and the tires I run, various mid priced brands, all have served me well. Blessed to say at 68 years old and towing race cars around most of my life I have not had a blow out in about 35 years following those practices.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I got rid of the RV Goodyears and installed Samsun's - The ride and the wear much better - and I can spend the saved money on Fuel - Travel on
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Purchased my 99 Tradewinds in 2013. Had Michelins with 2005 and 2006 dates. One on rear had significant side wall cracking. Replaced (2) front with Toyos. Moved one of existing fronts to rear where cracked Michelin was.

15,000 miles later I'm very happy with the Toyos. Replaced rear tires with Toyos last week. Out the door price a little less than $500 per tire. Got them here.

Parker's Tire & Auto Service :: Ocala FL Tires & Auto Repair Shop
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
Stay away from China tires. Michelin has always been the best in my opinion
Absolutely agree. Be aware that more and more tire brands are coming on the market from China, and many are very poor.

As an example, our recent mis-adventure into 5th-wheeling included OEM tires branded "Duro". Numerous forum posts at the time reported lots of failures, and a few double blow-outs on the same trip. There was only one spare at hand, which presented obvious problems. We got rid of those tires before we had any problems, and replaced them with decent quality tires.

Class A RVs don't use trailer tires, but the caveat still applies.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Michelin brand seems to get more approval ratings than any other mfg, and are typically installed on new motor homes as standard and also probably the most expensive.

If you are an FMCA member, they have a Michelin discount program than can save a lot of cash.

Cheaper brands that have a good following here are Toyo, Hankook, and Yokohama.

Date code for MH tires is VERY important. Normally rv tires will never wear out of thread, but will (like yours) start to deteriorate with cracks and such and become very unreliable. What ever brand you get, try to insist on tires that have a date code in 2015.

Good luck

Ron

Have you read all the problems Michelins are having? You may want to check out the NHTSA website there are a number of newer Michelin rv tires having blowout problems. This is why I am switching to Goodyear.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefratz View Post
Absolutely agree. Be aware that more and more tire brands are coming on the market from China, and many are very poor.

As an example, our recent mis-adventure into 5th-wheeling included OEM tires branded "Duro". Numerous forum posts at the time reported lots of failures, and a few double blow-outs on the same trip. There was only one spare at hand, which presented obvious problems. We got rid of those tires before we had any problems, and replaced them with decent quality tires.

Class A RVs don't use trailer tires, but the caveat still applies.

"Blowout" is the layman's term for "Run Low Flex" which is the result of running on a tire with extremely low air, usually one that is actively leaking. This allows the sidewall to bend more than designed. If P, LT or ST type with polyester body cord this results in melted cord. If Steel this fatigues the steel and you get a "zipper".

Really not sure how air leak (due to cut, puncture or leaky valve) is tire company fault.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As old as those tires are I wouldn't go anywhere in that coach without replacing them. Also there is a Goodyear and Michelin dealers by the Pilot truck stop at Hwy 395. You might call them and get a quote. The Goodyear dealer is by Little Sisters Truck wash and the Michelin dealer is just up the street. Do call Bob's Tire first and you know that Parkhouse tire is on "D"st just past I-15. I've never talked to them but they do truck tires too.
Parkhouse Tire
16350 D Street
Victorville, CA 92395
Click to Get Directions

Manager: Sean Johnston
P: 760-241-4455

http://www.bobs-tire.com/

WINGFOOT COMMERCIAL TIRE SYSTEMS #230
8893 THREE FLAGS AVE
HESPERIA, CA 92345
(760) 948-5403

Michelin Truck Tires
West Coast Tire & Truck Repair Llc
8853 Three Flags Ave #b
Hesperia, CA 92345
Business Phone:
(760) 628-8358

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #40

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
Have you read all the problems Michelins are having? You may want to check out the NHTSA website there are a number of newer Michelin rv tires having blowout problems. This is why I am switching to Goodyear.
You may want to review the information about the problems with Michelins. A lot of the old information on the internet is viewed as new or recent when in reality it could be tens years old and not relevant to today. Just dig deep enough to see when what you are referencing and relying on for decision making purposes isn't outdated.

The Goodyears that were on my rig were OEM tires, they were ten years old with 36K miles on them. Of the six only one was bad. They all had ample tread left and there were no signs of dry rot or cracking inside or out when we inspected them once demounted from the rims. In fact, they went to someone who needed them for a local delivery truck.

Thought about replacing them with Goodyear, but opted for the Michelin because they were cheaper and the reviews and recommendations were overwhelmingly positive.

Yes, there was a time when Michelin was actually recalling this size/type of tire, but that was years ago. Very happy with the performance and ride of the Michelin X2A2 Energy 275/70R22.5

Go with what you feel in your gut is the right choice.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
Hope you have better luck with them, than I had and especially with their rivering problems.... https://www.google.com/search?q=good...496&gws_rd=ssl
So far, even my cheapo Hercules tires on the drive axle seem to be superior than the GY's were and most sure the Hankooks on the rest of the coach are.
All made in China by the way and approved by the US DOT.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
OK, tires. I live in the Phoenix area. I have 20 month old Hankook's on the rig with less than 1000 miles on them. They are starting to have small cracks and discoloration on the sidewall due to sun, even though I have them covered. I'm planning a 1500 mile trip soon. Should I replace them first? Definitely did not get my money's worth out of them yet.

Tags
class a, tires