Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #43

Replacing original class a tires

Hi everyone,
I posted regarding this a while ago on here.
I just recently yesterday took a look at my original post.
Now I am posting again.
I am trying to research tires to see what would be best.

My husband had shoulder surgery back in December, we weren't able to replace the tires on the coach.

My husband & I have a 28 Foot 1994 Class A Fleetwood Coronado. We bought the coach I think back in 2004. At Mike Thompson RV center, in Southern California.
We are the 2nd owners of the coach. Prior owners were an elderly couple who rarely drove it. So it didn't really have any mileage on it.
Someone before asked If I was the original owner of the coach?
We are the 2nd owner of the coach.

My husband & I are now wanting to take a trip.

With the (original) current tires on the coach- They are Michelin X 8-R 19.5 (XZA)

My husband live in the high desert California. With the tires over time they began to crack. I'm not sure if this is due to the motorhome being left in the sun? or does this normally happen to Michelin brand tires? Also, could this be due to age of the motorhome Tires?

I"m not sure if we should just stay with the michelin brand tires?
Any issues regarding Michelin tires?

Or are there any other brands that would do better?
I read on my original post that some people like- Samson Tires & Double coin tires, which are put on semi trucks. Other people don't like those brands.

Any suggestions or advice would be great.
Thanks,
Bonnie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lots of people complain about Michelins cracking, lots more have no troubles. I'm mostly with the no troubles crowd, although the 8+ year old Michelins on the '02 DSDP did have a few minor cracks beginning to appear around the lettering.
The present Michelins are OEM and a dated late 2007 with 45,000 miles and have NO cracking showing. Planning on replacing them before next season if the now deceased (Aug 21st 2016) DW's final medical bills don't take all the $.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #45

We got Firestones FS 560's and are very happy with them. 1800 installed for all six.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
bmb1881, I'm just across the desert from you at Edwards AFB. I used Pete's Road Service to replace my motorhome tires last year. If you google Pete's, you will find they have several branches across southern CA. They will also come to you to install tires, but I chose to stop by one of their branches.

Everyone will have an opinion on tire brand, but keep in mind that we RV folks rarely wear out tires. We usually end up throwing out tires that still have most of the tread remaining because they are cracking or over 7 years old. With that in mind, price several different options and make a decision. For what its worth, we chose Toyo's for our class A.

Best of luck!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:22 AM   #47

Thanks so much everyone for all the information
I really appreciate it so much.

On Monday my husband & I were going to check out shops to see about tires. There are a few along the 395 freeway.
We first went to Bob's tires (& alignment) in Victorville, California.

The gentleman; Jeff called to see if they had michelins available. Which they do not have them available anymore .
So he suggested the next brand, I forget which brand it is.
They are new tires (or they won't accept them).
6 brand new tires for about $1,800 or $1,900.

Besides tires were getting a few other things checked out on the motorhome.

We dropped off the motorhome today.

I'll post an update later when we get the motorhome back.

Bonnie
Old 09-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #48

What is the time use limit on tires?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There have been comments here from individuals that have had blowouts on tires that are less than 2 years old. But, the normal rule of thumb is 6 years. Tires can be quite unpredictable.

I would say if you are near the limits of the tire at the highest rated pressure, better be safe and go with 4-5 years than longer.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb1881 View Post
Thanks so much everyone for all the information
I really appreciate it so much.

On Monday my husband & I were going to check out shops to see about tires. There are a few along the 395 freeway.
We first went to Bob's tires (& alignment) in Victorville, California.

The gentleman; Jeff called to see if they had michelins available. Which they do not have them available anymore .
So he suggested the next brand, I forget which brand it is.
They are new tires (or they won't accept them).
6 brand new tires for about $1,800 or $1,900.

Besides tires were getting a few other things checked out on the motorhome.

We dropped off the motorhome today.

I'll post an update later when we get the motorhome back.

Bonnie
Being a suspicious old codger I would probably ask them to show me how to read the date code on the new tires.... you will want to know so you can get the next set on time. ;-)
Old 09-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the date codes. Many tire shops will sell tires several years old, especially low demand tires like we use on motorhomes, and expensive tires like we use on motorhomes. These might tend to sit on shelves for some time before that rare customer actually buys them. The date code is a set of four numbers, looks like 0315 for instance, and 03 is the week of the year made, so late January in this case, and 16 is the year made, we can assume 2016. I'd not take these tires at list price as they are already 9 months old, and your rv tires will age out before they wear out. At 9 monthes old, and a life span of maybe 8 years, these tires are already (9/8x12) 10% aged out. "So gimme 10% off, or I walk and these tires get nothing but older". "Oh, I can't do that!" "SEE YA!"
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #52

In Cali, the rule is tire shops cannot sell older than one year, however, as previously pointed out, some sell whatever they have available to clear old inventory.

Check the date code
Old 09-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
There have been comments here from individuals that have had blowouts on tires that are less than 2 years old. But, the normal rule of thumb is 6 years. Tires can be quite unpredictable.

I would say if you are near the limits of the tire at the highest rated pressure, better be safe and go with 4-5 years than longer.
Any tire, Any brand, Any size, or Any Load range can suffer a Run Low Flex Blowout in just a half hour after pulling out of a campground or even an RV dealership. It only takes a significant loss of air and driving down the highway, so the age of a tire in itself has little if anything to do with having this type of failure. The lack of understanding of the basic facts of tire failure seem to result in much confusion for tire owners.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Any tire, Any brand, Any size, or Any Load range can suffer a Run Low Flex Blowout in just a half hour after pulling out of a campground or even an RV dealership. It only takes a significant loss of air and driving down the highway, so the age of a tire in itself has little if anything to do with having this type of failure. The lack of understanding of the basic facts of tire failure seem to result in much confusion for tire owners.
There is certainly no disagreement on me on any of that, however that is not really what I was responding to based on the question in #48.

If anything, I was also leaving open the possibility of age having little to do with it and pressure being the largest aspect.

And, the low pressure hazards really are not unique to large vehicles. So that should be pretty much every day knowledge for someone operating any motorized vehicle IMO.

I did not intend to gloss over that so thanks for pointing that out.

Tags
class a, tires