Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Replacing Class A Tires

Hi Everyone,
My husband & I are planning on taking a trip hopefully in the next couple months.
We own a Class A- 1994 Fleetwood Coronado. We have never replaced the tires on the motorhome. We live up in the high desert in Southern California.
Our tires are cracked. We would like to get the tires replaced before taking our trip.
My Question is to other people-
Have you replaced your motorhome tires?
Which brand of tires would you say are the best?
I am not sure what to look for.
With tires I have read online some people like a certain brand & other people say to avoid the brand.
I really am not sure which brand of tire would be the best. I am also not sure what the size of the tire is; It'll probably be on the tire?

Any suggestions or advice would be great.
bmb1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The size will be on the side wall of the tire. They are probably 19.5" but you'll also need to know the rest of the info such as 245/70R 19.5.

This is one of those questions that opens up a can of worms. Most people have an allegiance to some particular brand. Some hate other brands. When i needed to get new tires I went through many of the threads here and tried to find folks who drove the same way we do and tried to find unbiased reviews. If I hate brand X you can be sure I'll have nothing good to say. I don't mind a negative report but I want reasons why, not just that they are Chinese tires. There is one popular brand that has had sidewall issues. Anyway do some research for yourself and ask questions. I'm getting 6 new tires installed tomorrow but I won't get into price or brand here as it always seems to stir the pot.

Good Luck !!!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have friends that have a motorhome, they can be a source of knowledge. If you can not decide by the time to purchase the tires, buy a mid priced tire since it will be your first experience. Getting a price quote form two dealers on the same tire is a good idea. I wish you good luck>
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We went to one of our local tire shops and they gave us as good a deal as we could have through any of the special programs. We replaced our Goodyears with Michelins and are very satisfied with them.

Some additional reading:

Tires, Tired Or Otherwise - USA RV Nomads

If you're going to be on the road a lot...not just sitting someplace for months on end but cris-crossing the country...get the best tire possible.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have 7000 miles on 2 year old Sailun S637 (225/70R19.5) tires (all 6)

No problems, no leaks. Check tire pressure, this is #1 cause of blowouts.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

I had 6 Samson 245/70R19.5 that are actually truck tires installed on my motorhome at a truck tire store about 3 years ago. The ride is smooth and quiet unless I encounter large expansion joints or pot holes. They are used by many over-the-road truckers.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also had 6 Samson 245/70R19.5 tires on my last coach with no issues at all. My current coach has cooper road-master tires and I have put over 2k miles on them with no issues, cooper now subs out their commercial tires to china. People complain about the Chinese tires but I have not had any issues, unless I was a full timer or put 10,000 miles or more a year on my coach the extra expense of the higher end tire is not justified for me. I will be lucky to put 40k on my current set of tires before they age out.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

Start by asking whoever you plan on having install the tires what brand they sell/recommend. Check on the web and see if there are many horror stories. If not go for it. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I agree with nothermark. Talk to people who sell tires. Particularly truck tires. As with most things, it is tug of war between price and perceived quality although it isn't always so. Many shops offer warranties so they are in a position to know if they end up having to honor those warranties due to failures. I have Bridgestones on the front and Kuhmo tires on the rear. Haven't had the slightest problems and they didn't cost the premium that Good Years or Michelin's do.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #10

Last fall I went to Les Schwab and purchased 6 Double Coin 8R 19.5 tires and they seem to perform as good as any other brand that I have tried, (Bridgestone, Michelin). I mentioned that our rv will see gravel and unimproved roads at times and he replied that the best fit would be the DCs since they were a tougher tire than their Toyo brand, which had softer rubber for ride and quiet. So they say. I have experienced no greater road noise with the DCs. I did try a pair of 245/70's on the front once and they were distinctly much noisier, but that would be due to tread design more than size. A slightly larger foot print of the new series tires, all things being equal should produce more noise with more rubber on the ground.
Plenty of truckers use Double Coin tires for whatever that is worth.
Schwab says, "If we can't guarantee it we won't sell it".
Never had any resistance with Schwab when it came to warranty.
The price was good and since I like to examine brakes, lines, bearings etc. at tire change time, I removed the wheels and hauled them to Les Schwab for the tire change. Before doing this I asked for a discount since Schwab would not have to deal with jacking, removing and reinstalling the wheels. The salesman agreed to a $100.00 discount, which equalled $109 reduction due to less sales tax. Since I remove my wheels at regular intervals for maintenance, why not get paid for the labor.
The 8R 19.5 tire is a fraction over an inch greater diameter tire and slightly narrower also than the 245/70R 19.5
I stayed with what originally came with my Bounder because of the larger dia. means less rpm for a given speed. Speedometer will read correctly.
Everyone has their personal reasons for the tires they choose, the above are mine. Read the opinions and go with what matches your priorities.

What do the camp fires next to my member name represent?

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Kevin, the campfires pop up the more posts you make. Really means nothing.

As far as tires go, most are good. The most important considerations to watch for are:

production date (lots of "new" tires are actually old so check out that date stamp on the back side of the tire!),

next would be size of course since the tire has to fit properly when the steering wheel is turned so that it doesn't impact the wheel well

third is load range. Motorhomes need certain load range to carry the weight. That is very important!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
As far as tires go, most are good. The most important considerations to watch for are:

production date (lots of "new" tires are actually old so check out that date stamp on the back side of the tire!),

next would be size of course since the tire has to fit properly when the steering wheel is turned so that it doesn't impact the wheel well

third is load range. Motorhomes need certain load range to carry the weight. That is very important!
Could not agree more with Melmoses, what he posted should be your first priorities, they are mine also.

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Michelin brand seems to get more approval ratings than any other mfg, and are typically installed on new motor homes as standard and also probably the most expensive.

If you are an FMCA member, they have a Michelin discount program than can save a lot of cash.

Cheaper brands that have a good following here are Toyo, Hankook, and Yokohama.

Date code for MH tires is VERY important. Normally rv tires will never wear out of thread, but will (like yours) start to deteriorate with cracks and such and become very unreliable. What ever brand you get, try to insist on tires that have a date code in 2015.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #14

Stay away from China tires. Michelin has always been the best in my opinion
jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tires