Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing Dual Pane Window with Single

This may be out there somewhere on this forum, but if so, I haven't been able to hit it yet. We have dual pane windows in our motorhome. Tired of the fogging every few years and the expense of repairing them. Has anyone out there every had their dual panes replaced with single pane? If so....who/how/what etc...please share ideas and experience.

I know there are a lot of people who might question why, but its an avenue I want to explore...may not proceed, might not be feasible, just a question.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Do some research on RV Glass Solutions. Locations in Arizona, Florida and Oregon. Below, I've included a cut and paste form their 'Side Window' tab.

Also do google search on Laminated vs Dual Pane (Play with the search some, and you'll get some hits.

I did just have a Dual Pane window slide (So they count that as two windows. The fixed, and the slider.) fog fixed. I elected to go with the standard repair defog of the existing Dual Pane on this repair. Our Country Coach has a bronze/gold reflective property on it, and I wanted the windows to match. I also believe I recall reading some reports of laminates yellowing (May not be yellowing, but some change in coloration around the edges. And may not be what RV Glass Solutions uses, it could have been a Brand X, or a laminate from many years ago. I frankly did casual search, and did not spend too much time researching the laminate, as I had basically decided to repair what I had.

I suspect that if I had multiple windows with problems, or as you, repeat problems - I'd dig into it a bit more!

Our's is a 2004 Model, built in 2003, and this is the first window I've had to repair... So, we'll see how it goes! Nice job, the window was more fogged then I thought!

Best of luck to you
Smitty

Lifetime Laminated RV Side Window Repair and Replacement | RV Glass Solutions

====== Start of copy ======

Which option best suits you?

Laminated glass replacement panels: Like your windshield, side windows fitted with laminated glass (lam-glass) are virtually fog-proof. That's why we can confidently offer a lifetime warranty on every lam-glass panel we provide for your RV. We can ship custom cut lam-glass panels directly to you, to your favored local dealer/installer – or we can provide full replacement services at our Coburg, Oregon and Phoenix, Arizona locations. Did we mention that our custom fit, lam-glass panels come with a lifetime warranty?[1] And in most cases, we can complete your glass replacement in Coburg and Phoenix the same day of your visit.
OEM or aftermarket replacement windows: we can readily replace windows by most if not all manufacturers. While we have a very deep inventory, on occasion we may need to order a window to accommodate your needs. Lead times and warranty vary by window manufacturer so if this option sounds good to you, give us a call. We will size up the situation and tell you precisely what we can do and how quickly.
Replacement IGUs (insulated glass units): in many cases, repairing an existing window renders a faster, more durable and significantly less expensive solution than an OEM or aftermarket replacement window. We guarantee all IGU window repairs against future leaks and creepy seal for two years.

====== End of copy ===========
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
And, RV Glass Solutions is a good company to do business with. Recently had my windshield replaced at the Oregon location. Very professional staff and service.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #4

My first thought is inside comfort. Using single pane or laminated panels offers less R value than dual pane. The difference is noticeable inside with laminate or single pane, when outside temps are hot or cold.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I fixed my dual pane window which failed after 17 years. I figure the repair will last at least that long since we have better spacers and adhesives today than they had in 2000. A dual pane window eliminates condensation which can be considerable when the temps turn cold.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had the window next to the driver on our Windsor repaired three times. Each time it would last 2-3 years and then fog up. Our Signature has a foggy driver's window now. Not much of a problem in AZ, but as soon as you travel to a wet climate it's a pain! You can't see to make a left turn. I plan on taking it to RV Glass Solutions for a lifetime fix.

My opinion: Discussing R insulation value and RV windows is difficult. Our biggest insulation issue is the huge front windscreen that is laminated safety glass. And Argon filled side windows just will not last in a motor home. So, the R value of RV windows is almost negligible.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Appreciate all the comments and suggestions! Thanks for the links Smitty, going to check all that out. On R factor, I'm not that concerned....we do not camp in "extreme" weather, don't do snow. The MH is actually more a winter home now and spends its time in south Texas while we travel in a smaller travel trailer. Where we are has about 2 weeks of 'winter' in a bad year. So...the main reason seems to be the expense of having these fogged windows repaired. Have single pane on the new TT and am loving it. In the Texas heat, don't notice much loss on R value. Plus, we have MCD dual shades, that helps a lot with heat/cold.

Would like to find a solution that is not about $250 a window...as I have 5 of them that now need doing. Would like to find a permanent solution as south TX is humid in the summer and winter....even with a dehumidifier, I feel the problem will keep recurring. We had one done 3 years ago and its fogged again...guess where? Yep, main bathroom. Yep, always use vent fan!

Frustrating. Would like to replace window with single pane, tinted as on the newer RV's.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
This may be out there somewhere on this forum, but if so, I haven't been able to hit it yet. We have dual pane windows in our motorhome. Tired of the fogging every few years and the expense of repairing them. Has anyone out there every had their dual panes replaced with single pane? If so....who/how/what etc...please share ideas and experience.

I know there are a lot of people who might question why, but its an avenue I want to explore...may not proceed, might not be feasible, just a question.
fixn2gocamp
Well Sir, yep, I've done EXACTLY what you're thinking of. It's a very long story but, I'll give you the condensed version. I too had fogged windows in our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V. Well, me being me, I immediately dug into the potential replacement with laminated glass. At that time, I had lots of friends in the glass business where we lived, in San Diego CA.
I contacted one of them and, we went to work on checking it out, to see what the potential was for replacing dual pane with single pane. I had already called Atwood, (the original suppliers for both side windows, sliders and stationary) and they said they would be weeks out and, the cost for each window (slider and stationary) would hover around $300 each.

So, the glass shop I took mine to, replaced all four panes and, installed all new extruded rubber and seals to accommodate those panes. The laminated I installed was almost as thick, as the two panes originally so, hence, that was the reason for new rubber. Obviously, we used the original frames in all sections. I re-installed them both, one on each side, and, here's the report.

1. I was told there would be SWEATING inside due to non-insulated glass.

DIDN'T HAPPEN.

2. I was told it would be considerably colder inside during cold weather. Well, we were camped in snowy conditions in Moab UT and, I'll be darned, the heater didn't go on at any more intervals, than any other time we'd been camping in almost the same exact conditions, with the dual pane windows.

3. I was told it would be considerably HOTTER in hot conditions for the same reasons. Well, the A/Cs in that coach, worked during hot weather, with dual pane windows, so, the worked with SINGLE pane glass too. We have dual pane in our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, guess what, it gets hot in there too.

So, bottom line, it will work. Is laminated glass as good of an insulator as dual pane with an air gap, nope, but, it works. And, you'll NEVER have to deal with fogging again. This is a choice you'll have to make. I've been thinking outside the box for decades. If I'd have had some serious bad consequences due to the change-over to laminated glass, I'd relate them in a heartbeat.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #9

When we checked into this two years ago the tint color for the single pane was green! They said they were working on a darker bronze toned glass but wasn't yet available. Is it an option now? The green tint didn't cut it for us.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Single pane glass is thinner than dual pane, so generally doesn't fit in the same frame.

There is no good reason that dual pane would repair so often - should get at least 7-10 years of use. Maybe the previous repairs weren't so great? Or your rv twists and vibrates more than most? That's what breaks the seal between the panes...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would NEVER have single-pane windows!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great info!! FIREUP...you mention the $300 per window...was that Atwood replacing the dual with single? Also, what did you do to address the difference in thickness? I might have missed it? FALCON...agree, green would NOT cut it. I get all the green I need out the windows where I stay. I haven't got far enough on researching this to get to color, but would take clear over green for sure! GARYROAMER: agree, I had the same thought...it will be something to consider...bumped FIREUP to see how they handled it. MS: thanks for your comment....but I LOVE the single pane on our TT....and don't see any R value issue so far!

Thanks for all the information everyone!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"R" Factor is a lot of bull. In typical RV the "air" gap between the interior & exterior is less than one eight of an inch. I haven't seen one MH mfg quote the R Factor on any of their Windows. Why? Because it is non existent. A little proof. Go to your local big box store, compare their Windows. Look at the space between the panes of glass. Ask them the difference in R Factor. You'll be shocked. And the leading glass fixer in Florida said the New flush glass windows are even worst. But, because they have Blck color they are less noticeable.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #14

We have single pane windows. Had 95% tint installed in all living space windows. Made Hugh difference in inside temp. Also, privacy. Can see out great, can't see in.
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single, window