Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I have heard truckers talking about these and they seemto agree they are lighter, get better mileage and fuel ecomony. BUT the say that they are "Flat out Scarey' on wet or icy roads.
eccostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #16

I agree with everyone else. With duals at least you have a chance to control the coach and limp out of harms way on the remaining single. Not sure, but if you had the single larger tire in place of the duals I would think it would be much harder to control after a blowout. I am not sure of this, but with a single I would think you could say good by to the rim after it tried to pick up the 10 to 12 thousand pounds on that side of the axle. I also think that maybe the opposing front wheel would not be of much value in controlling the coach if the sudden downward pressure from the opposing rear raised it up, or at least caused much of the weight to be removed making it difficult to steer.
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you imagine the damage if one of those super singles let go. It would probably clean out everthing up to the ceiling. Also, I like the idea of four sidewalls keeping things stable rather than two.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if there's some sort of "run flat" technology that some singles might have?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Run-Flat on super singles would defeat their single highest advantage- less weight.
A run-flat with that kind of weight rating would weigh more than a set of duals.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks GMRHost...we learn alot here..
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Thanks GMRHost...we learn alot here..
Me too, every day!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Mr_D,
The reason they did not go to the super single was a fear about tire distribution. Putting a tire on a coach that is not readily available, if a replacement is needed (for what ever reason) did not seem like a good idea.
Ever try to get a 305/70 tire? I had to wait over a month to get two of them for our front axle. When I did get them they were only about two weeks old! The Singles were readily available from Michelin.

And, for the first time today I saw a truck with them everywhere but the front axle. It was a tanker truck.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRHost View Post
On duals, if you have a flat, you can even "single out" (remove the flat and run to a decent dealer on one tire instead of two) if you're in, say, Rock Springs WY, or worse.
Which of course effectively ruins the tire since it's way overloaded (if it doesn't blow out first). Any tire run 20% low on pressure is considered to have been run flat and if you add 100% more load you have certainly crossed that threshold!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I said, it will get you to a dealer, and not sitting on the side of the road, but not hotrodding either... How singling out one tire of four translates to 100% more load, is beyond my limited comprehension, But having had to do it a few times, I never lost the companion tire nor had it deemed unfit.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The tire is designed to stay on the rim in a blow out, and stay under the rim long enough to limp to the side.

The greatest advantage is NOT weight, its rolling resistance.. there are only 2 sidewalls defecting instead of 4. Truckers who have tried them have mixed feelings, but again, the split was about 60/40.. 60% for them. The ride is MUCH better with them. The fuel savings is in the 4%-6% range. The actual flats have been few.. much less than with 'normal' duals. The traction, according to those who actually drove in bad weather with them, is about the same. Hard part being bigger and heavier chains .

Again, actually research and ask... please.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRHost View Post
As I said, it will get you to a dealer, and not sitting on the side of the road, but not hotrodding either... How singling out one tire of four translates to 100% more load, is beyond my limited comprehension, But having had to do it a few times, I never lost the companion tire nor had it deemed unfit.
The load is spread to 2 tires on a specific side.. If you lose one, the other must take up that load.. 50% x 2 = 100%.

That one tire is not there so you can keep going. You are to make it to the side of the road, and/or limp at a very slow speed to a place safe enough to pull over. 45mph is not 'very slow'.. under 10mph is more like it, and only long enough to safely pull off. If the one good tire is driven for any distance at any speed, its considered 'run out' and should be changed. There are many stories of people losing a tire, getting a new one, and then losing the 'good' tire still on that side.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr View Post
Over on the TiffinRVNetwork there is a poster who installed the Michelin Super Singles on his coach back in 2008. He should have a good idea of how they work at this point. His screen name is Historyljc. He is on this board as well

I know Historyljc (Jim) and had the pleasure of having lunch with him this last weekend at the TRVN rally in Pine Mountain. I asked him several questions about the Super Singles and both he and his wife said they would not go back to duals because of the improved riding characteristics and simplicity, no unbalanced tire pressure, only one tire to check and one valve to test pressure etc.

There was another 40 ft coach there with Super Singles and his take was very similar.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I have driven over 100 miles with one flat on a dual many times with a fully loaded truck. I have also had the other tire blow as well. Depends on the condition of the tire and how hot it is and how fast you go. It's not impossible!