Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Having worked for the last year for a company that only runs SS on their tractors and trailers.They have 2500 tractors and almost 12,000 trailers all with SS. I can say that I am one that has changed my mind on them. The ride is much better than any duals I have run in the last 37 years and nearly 4 million accident free miles. There are far fewer blowouts with because you can see when a tire is low. I found that the SS work very well on snow and are not any worse in rain. Nothing i have found works well on ice! As far as a commercial truck running in on a single the new CSA 2010 rules makes a flat an out of service violation and puts 30 point on your score.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #44

Some tried it in the trucking industry and found that the axle was not built for a single tire. Lead to wheel bearing problems, bent axle tubes, and tire wear problems. Bottom line is you have to use an axle that is designed for it.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Or a wheel that sets in a few inches to off load the bearings..
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
Some tried it in the trucking industry and found that the axle was not built for a single tire. Lead to wheel bearing problems, bent axle tubes, and tire wear problems. Bottom line is you have to use an axle that is designed for it.

I would think that if the wheel has the correct offset, the axle would not be affected as it would place the same stress as duals. I believe these tires would have to be 50 or 60 series and would be almost as wide as a set of duals anyway.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #47

Considering the cost of new wheels and tires, the availability of getting a new tire if you have a blow out and the fact that in order to have a spare you would have to carry 2 tires I'd pass....
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Considering the cost of new wheels and tires, the availability of getting a new tire if you have a blow out and the fact that in order to have a spare you would have to carry 2 tires I'd pass....
Availability is no longer a problem. Every truck tire dealer seems to have them in stock. I don't think that most people will put on enough miles to see a benifit from the fuel savings of SS. I don't know many RV'ers that put 100,000 miles a year on their rigs.
Rick
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Agreed... Even Double-Coin has a SS

But, on RV's, I would think that an increase in MPG would'nt be the big draw, but the improvement in ride would.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #50

We run them on our 4 axle chassis. They don't get tore up as bad turning as the duals do. Blowouts have not been an issue. If you have a tag axle I think I would certainly do it.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick & Hope View Post
Availability is no longer a problem. Every truck tire dealer seems to have them in stock. I don't think that most people will put on enough miles to see a benifit from the fuel savings of SS. I don't know many RV'ers that put 100,000 miles a year on their rigs.
Rick
Ok, but 2 out of 3 is still bad. The org. cost and having to carry 2 spares?

What are you really going to gain?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Ok, but 2 out of 3 is still bad. The org. cost and having to carry 2 spares?

What are you really going to gain?
Not many of the class A with 22.5" tires carry a spare. The majority of class 8 trucks whether running duals or super singles carry a spare. Just call road service. The longest to wait was in the backwoods of Tennessee and that was about a total of 2 hrs for the service truck to bring a new SS and put it on. Most people are not capable of changing a 22.5" tire, so they are going to have to wait for a service truck anyway.
Like I said I don't see where the fuel mileage gain would off set the cost of changing to SS. Now if they came as original equipment that is a different story.
The only gain would be in ride quality.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 AM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick & Hope View Post
Not many of the class A with 22.5" tires carry a spare. The majority of class 8 trucks whether running duals or super singles carry a spare. Just call road service. The longest to wait was in the backwoods of Tennessee and that was about a total of 2 hrs for the service truck to bring a new SS and put it on. Most people are not capable of changing a 22.5" tire, so they are going to have to wait for a service truck anyway.
Like I said I don't see where the fuel mileage gain would off set the cost of changing to SS. Now if they came as original equipment that is a different story.
The only gain would be in ride quality.
I think Billieg is saying you would now need to carry a SS AND a standard tire for the steer..
Old 10-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I think Billieg is saying you would now need to carry a SS AND a standard tire for the steer..
Ya, we have been down that road before.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #55

I have yet to see a class A carrying a spare ( 22.5 ), am I missing something?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I have yet to see a class A carrying a spare ( 22.5 ), am I missing something?
I agree not many people are going to be able to wrestle a 150 lbs of tire and wheel around and if they have steel wheels it will be closer to 180 lbs. These weights are for duals.