Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question Replacing FlexSteel Captain's Chairs

If you have swapped your FlexSteel captain's chairs yourself, I'd appreciate your comments on the difficulty of the swap. We are ordering two new chairs from Bradd & Hall and they will be shipped to us, so we'll be installing them ourselves.

We will be using the existing pedestals and our understanding is that the base of the chairs will be a simple bolt-on. I know that the chairs are heavy and will likely be difficult to "maneuver" into place. I'm curious about any other connections under the chairs; ours are not powered but there are cables underneath (for the swivel??) Are those difficult to assemble?

If you have made the swap, any tips will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #2

We did ours just after Christmas we just swapped the base from the ones we removed four bolts nuts and washers if you are very careful you can just remove seats from the base while in your RV check the bolts pattern I’m sure your driver seat is 6 way electric. Those seat from Brad’s & Hall are great. And support is excellent!
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Much easier than you can imagine. I pulled out my driver seat to add a power foot rest and total time was about 2 hours from start to finish. The cable for the swivel is held in with a wire clip and removes with very little effort. The seats can be handled by 1 person for removal and installation, 2 would make it a breeze.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
We did ours just after Christmas we just swapped the base from the ones we removed four bolts nuts and washers if you are very careful you can just remove seats from the base while in your RV check the bolts pattern I’m sure your driver seat is 6 way electric. Those seat from Brad’s & Hall are great. And support is excellent!
Thanks so much! Actually, our seats are manual... no electric. So hopefully they will be an easy swap. Do your seats have those cables underneath?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Much easier than you can imagine. I pulled out my driver seat to add a power foot rest and total time was about 2 hours from start to finish. The cable for the swivel is held in with a wire clip and removes with very little effort. The seats can be handled by 1 person for removal and installation, 2 would make it a breeze.
Thanks, Chuck. We have looked at the bases and it does appear to be a simple job. (But we all know that appearances can sometimes be deceiving!! ) I appreciate the info very much.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #6

No the driver seat is 6 way electric with a manual swivel and manual seat recline the passenger seat is al manual swivel recline and slide. Did your seats come with arm rest if so it’s easy to install them with in directions provided
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
No the driver seat is 6 way electric with a manual swivel and manual seat recline the passenger seat is al manual swivel recline and slide. Did your seats come with arm rest if so it’s easy to install them with in directions provided
Oh, OK. Both our seats are manual; no electric at all.

I hadn't thought about arm rests; I "assumed" they would be installed on the seats but I guess I'd better ask about that!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #8

Not to hi jack the seat thread, but I have Flexsteel seats in our 2006 Beaver Monterey and have a "wobble" in the driver side. Considered buying a new seat but if you have to transfer the base... that won't solve my issue. It looks like a big bearing that the seat rotates on and seems to be where the wobble is.

Any thoughts on how to fix or direct me to a solution would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin721 View Post
Not to hi jack the seat thread, but I have Flexsteel seats in our 2006 Beaver Monterey and have a "wobble" in the driver side. Considered buying a new seat but if you have to transfer the base... that won't solve my issue. It looks like a big bearing that the seat rotates on and seems to be where the wobble is.

Any thoughts on how to fix or direct me to a solution would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Gavin--you don't have to transfer the base, you can buy a new base if needed. Our bases are in good condition so we chose to reuse them. You might contact FlexSteel and see if they can offer any suggestions for fixing your wobble!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just had mine redone for $350 each.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Gavin--you don't have to transfer the base, you can buy a new base if needed. Our bases are in good condition so we chose to reuse them. You might contact FlexSteel and see if they can offer any suggestions for fixing your wobble!
Thanks! I will reach out to Flexsteel for a base only. Much better option than a $1k seat that I don't need.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I just had mine redone for $350 each.
When you say "redone," did you replace the seats or what? Did you do the installation yourself? I got an estimate to reupholster the seats that is practically the same price as buying new seats.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin721 View Post
Thanks! I will reach out to Flexsteel for a base only. Much better option than a $1k seat that I don't need.
I'm not sure if Flexsteel sells direct, but once you have a part number you can call places like Bradd & Hall or other retailers to purchase. Good luck with it.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #14

Gavin, You might can adjust your seat to eliminate the wobble. The seat spins on ball bearings. There is a center bolt and nut that sets the tension on the bearings. Mine adjust with a 3/4" wrench. You do not have to remove the seat to adjust the tension.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air