Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Replacing Flooring anybody

Going to remove carpet and Laminate any advise would be appreciated
2005 Dutch StarClick image for larger version

Name:	Floor2.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	80577
rallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #2

Once replaced, don't park on an incline!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #3

Much easier to clean and keep clean, Go for it ! Less allergies too
Old 12-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #4

I glued Armstrong luxury vinyl tiles (LVT) on top of the laminate. In the bedroom, I removed the carpet and put a 1/4 GIS plywood to be level with laminate. I tried removing the laminate but it was glued to stay, the subfloor was suffering too much damage. And the slides could easily take the 1/8 inch more from the LVTs. Very happy with result. Just so you know, it's around 40 hours of labour...
Old 12-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I was thinking about removing my carpet and replacing it with laminate, I just don't no how to do the steps . Carpet is a PITA to keep clean.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Buy the top grade of flooring. An RV doesn't need a lot of sq ft of material, so the good stuff doesn't add much cost and it holds up much better, especially in the moist environment of an RV.

Glue the flooring down - an RV shifts and twists a lot, so floating floors move a lot and can buckle up. Gluing also makes the step installation practical. Use moldings on the edges.

If you have a flush floor slide, you will probably have to build it up with a layer of plywood to provide the edge extension that overlaps the main floor (it is a flap of carpet now). That means it won't be flush anymore, and you will need a molding for the edge.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I did. See post #75

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/anot...-213472-6.html

Good luck, you're gonna need it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/floo...de-216042.html
Had my grandsons help me on mine and turned out great.The only hard part is under the slide area. You don't have to remove the slide but it would make the job easier but I didn't. It is not that hard to do.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

The info I received so far leave the Laminate it is glued remove carpet add 1/4inch plywood were carpet was make up difference to be even with top of Laminate any holes screw holes or crack fill with floor lever don't be afraid to put screws I'm even going to glue plywood with PL wood glue with caulking gun. Flooring going to install stick on vinyl tiles at a 45 degree angle and leave a small grout line about 1/8 or 3/16 with flexible grout I'm buying some extra tiles just incase the rollers from the slides wreck or scuff I can replace easy enough. Some of those vinyl tiles once down with grout line look like real tile but are much more forgiving than real tile So far that is my plan Be going at it this summer. My brother is also a flooring guy 35 years experience.
rallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #10

45 degrees is what I did too, good idea. Get a good decorator to pick the right color...
Old 12-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Here are pics of my install (page 2 post 17)
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/floo...-194800-2.html
I also went with spacing and grout.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Here is a picture of mine in the cold...it is Trafficmaster from Home Depot. I installed it using the instructions in the box. Not too tough! I did not do the slides.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I put in high dollar laminate thru out our Kountry Star. Only carpet left is on the Dog house, bed slide and the flat floor slide. Also tore out the laminate from the factory. Put in a floating floor, used box jacks made of 2X4s on the slides as per factory (great people) instructions to jack up the slides at an angle to get under them. I also replaced all the rollers at the same time. Used 8.5mm flooring and 1.5mm underlayment so as to keep the same height for the slides. I also tore out the plywood under the laminate at the entry. Replaced the carpet on the flat floor slide, dog house and closet. I had to remove the couch and recliners, pilot and copilot seats and the dinette seats and take the lower part of the dash out (not as hard as it looks). Lots of work but we've been up and down the west coast for the last 2 summers and have had no problems with the floating floor. The slides have been in and out a hundred times. Just use good underlayment. Well worth the effort and Newmars are easy to refloor because of the slide design, I think it's the best design of all the RVs because of it's simplicity. As for as the transition for the flat floor slide thats easy. I used a piece of hardwood molding as a ramp for the rollers. Works great. If your interested email me and I'll send you pix and give you any info you need.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

I saw one here that put down cork floors. It was nice to walk on, helped with sound and very durable.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote