Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #15

Hi Nathan, it's good to hear from the experts! Thanks for your input. Are you a franchise owner or privately owned? What distance do you travel from Oregon? How long does it take to "un-fog" a window? Do you remove them from the coach or does a owner? So many questions, and hungry for knowledge!

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm afraid you're gonna regret going to a single-pane window. Think about the difference in the heat and cold conduction, plus the window sweating! JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
I agree. Our 2001 Adventurer had all dual pane glass except for the windshield. We had the front passengers side window fog up and considered replacing it with a single pane. After much consideration we stuck with the original dual pane style. We purchased a replacement from Atwood for $150.00 and replaced it ourselves in an afternoon.

Our 2013 Adventurer also came with dual pane windows. This time with the exception of the windshield and the 2 side front windows. In hot weather the front of the coach is much warmer, and in cool weather they sweat so bad water pools at the bottoms of the window frames.

If we'd had the option of getting the side windows dual pane I certainly would have done it.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Interesting question. I wonder if the single pane glass will physically fit in the frame or are you going to have to remake the entire sliding track window frames?

A better solution to the problem is for us to demand the window suppliers to make a better dual pane window! For crying out loud, we can put a man on the moon but we can't make a window that will remain clear after just a few years? I can't believe the the window manufactures have gotten by for all of these years without being made to recall the windows especially the drivers side windows! I wonder, do the high priced motorcoaches have this problem?

Ok, I'll step off the soapbox for now.
the driver and passenger windows were fogged so I removed them to try to fix them myself but ended up breaking one. so a friend owns a glass manufacturing company so he cut a single pane the same thickness as the double. I installed them and never looked back. to me single pane is the way to go
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
foggy windows

you might try filling the frame with black RTV and install glass let set for 24 hours and trim exsess off. works great on old truck (47-64)door windows.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mar 207 View Post
I need to add my 2 cents and report my fix. I just bought a 1999 Monaco from Florida and drove it home to Maine. Needless to say, the photos on ebay did not show foggy windows. I went to a local glass business and they took both side windows out, brought them in the shop and separated the double panes.
They added a narrow strip of plexiglas to the inner edges to make up the difference in thickness. Did a super job ! Another benefit is I have a spare set of glass for both sides. Cost me $300 total.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #20

Single pane really shouldn't be an issue. Most rv's used to have single pane, and with no issues. I looked at an rv at a dealer once that had a couple fogged windows. The one sales guy said that often they will just break the inside pane and clean up all the glass and then clean the inside of the remaining pane. I wasn't sure I liked the sound of it, but it has some merit as well.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #21

The only problem with breaking the inside pane is that on the stationary section you would have to leave the broken glass around the edge of the seal to maintain the 7/16 spacing. As far as the slider section goes it wouldnt ever work because the broken glass around the seal would just fall apart and you would be left with a sloppy window that would no longer keep the elements out side
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv glass View Post
The only problem with breaking the inside pane is that on the stationary section you would have to leave the broken glass around the edge of the seal to maintain the 7/16 spacing. As far as the slider section goes it wouldnt ever work because the broken glass around the seal would just fall apart and you would be left with a sloppy window that would no longer keep the elements out side
I had my front DS dbl pane fogged up window replaced and asked about breaking the inner glass. He said that the glass would shatter as it's not meant to be cut or broken once it's installed. And that it's hard to get a single pane of auto safety glass as thick as would be needed to replace the dbl pane.

I have more fogged up windows. Does anyone have a line on getting a single pane of safety glass thick enough to replace the original dbl pane?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We won't buy a rig with single pane windows. Total deal breaker for us. But if you don't care about resale then I guess it's OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We won't buy a rig with single pane windows. Total deal breaker for us. But if you don't care about resale then I guess it's OK.
Well, because of the vision distortion the two panes cause, especially at night trying to interpret what's in the mirrors, and all the fogging issues, I would gladly give up what little insulation they seem to provide.

Single pane windows in front are no deal breaker for me.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #25

We recently had the folks in that did all our glass and mirrors for our home thy do work on motor homes, they said that sometimes they can get the correct duel pane glass to replace a window and if they can't they use a thicker piece of single pane and can tint if the customer requests. sounds reasonable to me... So, check local glass fabricating shops you might be surprised.

Tags
safety, window