Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Replacing fogged windows with single pane auto safety glass

Has anyone replaced their fogged dual pane windows with single pane auto safety glass? I would consider for my driver and passenger side windows. I know there would some disadvantages but I think the repaired dual pane windows will eventually fog up again. Thanks.
Jack H
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

Interesting question. I wonder if the single pane glass will physically fit in the frame or are you going to have to remake the entire sliding track window frames?

A better solution to the problem is for us to demand the window suppliers to make a better dual pane window! For crying out loud, we can put a man on the moon but we can't make a window that will remain clear after just a few years? I can't believe the the window manufactures have gotten by for all of these years without being made to recall the windows especially the drivers side windows! I wonder, do the high priced motorcoaches have this problem?

Ok, I'll step off the soapbox for now.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm afraid you're gonna regret going to a single-pane window. Think about the difference in the heat and cold conduction, plus the window sweating! JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to DoubleCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili's trip View Post
Has anyone replaced their fogged dual pane windows with single pane auto safety glass? I would consider for my driver and passenger side windows. I know there would some disadvantages but I think the repaired dual pane windows will eventually fog up again. Thanks.
Jack H
Jack, I would like to explore that same possible solution.

Being in my fifties I don't think I have the time left to pursue a mission to change the window manufacturers. LOL

As far as the disadvantages mentioned, wouldn't the replacement of the driver side window be basically the same as that big ole windshield that lurks behind curtain number one when we are parked?

I have even thought of having a frame built that would sort of square up the required glass shape.

Anyone out there ever tried this swap????
DoubleCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

Slightly poorer noise attenuation and poorer insulation - but hardly a big deal compared to the windshield.

One big advantage - for those unwise enough to be setting up camp in the dark, is that your view via the rearview mirrors should be much better because of the reduction in reflecting surfaces.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #6

On our way south this fall I stopped in seracy Ark just north east of little rock and had the door window repaired and it is better than new and they say it will not leak since it has materials several times better than what they removed and replaced. It was 200 for my one window and 700 for the three in my partners foretravel. They had 50 amp water and sewer for us while we were there. Great folks to deal with....
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I recently replaced the windshields and one side glass. I was told the side frame is to wide to use safety glass. The side glass cost $267.00. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have had the same thought and talked to a glass shop a couple years back. The guy said he could probably find a filler to take up the extra space in the track. I since moved to a different province, so I will have to check out some local glass shops. If I find a solution I will post it.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

We have a couple that are fogged. The main problem is the large driver side front window. We will be heading south to the Phoenix area soon. I would much prefer to have it replaced with a double pane factory style window. I have no interest in replacing it myself and would be happy to pay if I had some assurance that the problem would not just reoccur.

Anyone know of a solution in AZ for us. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #10

Wink

I need to add my 2 cents and report my fix. I just bought a 1999 Monaco from Florida and drove it home to Maine. Needless to say, the photos on ebay did not show foggy windows. I went to a local glass business and they took both side windows out, brought them in the shop and separated the double panes.
They added a narrow strip of plexiglas to the inner edges to make up the difference in thickness. Did a super job ! Another benefit is I have a spare set of glass for both sides. Cost me $300 total.
Jim-Mar 207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mar 207 View Post
I need to add my 2 cents and report my fix. I just bought a 1999 Monaco from Florida and drove it home to Maine. Needless to say, the photos on ebay did not show foggy windows. I went to a local glass business and they took both side windows out, brought them in the shop and separated the double panes.
They added a narrow strip of plexiglas to the inner edges to make up the difference in thickness. Did a super job ! Another benefit is I have a spare set of glass for both sides. Cost me $300 total.
Hey, you might be on to something. Cool to work with and be around folks who think out of the box!

Keep us posted on how this works out.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCK View Post
We have a couple that are fogged. The main problem is the large driver side front window. We will be heading south to the Phoenix area soon. I would much prefer to have it replaced with a double pane factory style window. I have no interest in replacing it myself and would be happy to pay if I had some assurance that the problem would not just reoccur.

Anyone know of a solution in AZ for us. Thanks!

You may want to ask this on the Country Coach forum (or search old posts). I seem to recall there have been folks doing this in Phoenix or Tucson.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 10-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #13

Had it done to a buddies coach here in NY in Syracuse both pass and drivers side turned out great $250 per window.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:53 AM   #14

Foggy windows

I also have some foggy windows in my 2001 Monaco Exec. Will be in the Mesa,Az area this winter. If there is any glass shop in the area, would someone post the location,

Rdstr 29, 2001 Monaco Executive, 2005 Jeep liberty toad.
rdstr29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, window