Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Replacing Jack Lift Springs

Need to replace springs on MH Leveling Jacks. Any suggestions on a safe method and what tool or tools you used?

Thanks,
Thom n Sue
38' Itasca

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post
Need to replace springs on MH Leveling Jacks. Any suggestions on a safe method and what tool or tools you used?

Thanks,
Thom n Sue
38' Itasca
Dont know haw safe this is but I extend jacks all the way put broom handle pieces or large bolts between opening then retract springs will fall off. To replace usually get long flat bar then just pry then new springs on.

Works for me, r0n

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck to you. Sorry I can't be exact but do a search on this site and you will find helpful hints. Rob and Deb had a good one that I have used. Don't want to deflate your bubble but do not be surprised if new springs are no help. BUT I hope you have success.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

Cleaning and a WD40 treatment helped my jack retracting problem.
Other members have used the sticks in the springs when extended, multiple strips of 3/8" plywood then pry the jack up, new spring have a helper install the strips while you pull the coils open with one end secured in a vice. Install the spring and extend the jack and the strips fall out.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

I was also having a little trouble with mine retracting up, and I cleaned them, and sprayed with WD-40, and now they go up MUCH better.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhenshaw4 View Post
I was also having a little trouble with mine retracting up, and I cleaned them, and sprayed with WD-40, and now they go up MUCH better.
I have fought with my jacks retracting for years. Replaced springs, spayed silicone, spayed WD40 in the end the best tool I have is the 8 foot 2by4 I care to assist when needed.

r0n

2004 MACA3781
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

WD-40 is useful for cleaning, but it's not a lubricant. And it can dry out seals. The manufacturers of most jacks suggest you lube them with a wipe down of ATF after cleaning.

Suggest you check the web site of the jack manufacturer for lubing procedures before replacing springs.

Springs CAN age and lose some strength over time but since you don't say how old your rig is can't really determine if yours might be one of those old enough to need new springs. Long term parking in very hot areas can affect spring life.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
WD-40 is useful for cleaning, but it's not a lubricant. And it can dry out seals. The manufacturers of most jacks suggest you lube them with a wipe down of ATF after cleaning.

Suggest you check the web site of the jack manufacturer for lubing procedures before replacing springs.

Springs CAN age and lose some strength over time but since you don't say how old your rig is can't really determine if yours might be one of those old enough to need new springs. Long term parking in very hot areas can affect spring life.
I would take issue with about WD 40 not being a lubricant. Further, the factory says to use WD 40. Would they do that knowingly if it dried out the seals? I doubt it.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #9

If your manual says to use WD-40, then by all means use it. Jacks I'm familiar with tell me to wipe down the shaft with a clean rag, then use ATF on a rag to lubricate.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I would take issue with about WD 40 not being a lubricant. Further, the factory says to use WD 40. Would they do that knowingly if it dried out the seals? I doubt it.
Having a long history with HWH, the factory has changed there opinion over time. That is the problem. 8 foot long 2/4 best helper. I think possibly there are defects in some systems as some people never have any problem.

r0n

2004 MACA3781
Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #11

Unless you're using a dry lube, any other spray on like WD40 has to be wiped off otherwise it becomes a dirt magnet. My HWH jacks are 14yrs. old and work great. I spray them down with WD40 and wipe down 3-4 times a year.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the OP question was about removing the springs. I just did mine on HWH jacks. I left the jack retracted and put a floor jack under one side of the foot. When I pushed up on that side of the foot as it pivoted, I was able to easily remove the spring. Did the same thing to put new one on. It took five minutes. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #13

I thought I needed to replace the springs on one of my jacks. Found out later it was un-needed. Anyway I extended the jack then stuck shims in, being sure to alternate the way I put them in. If you don't the spring will bow. Once the shims are in retract jack til the spring is loose. To put shims in the new spring, I tied one end to my cars bumper, the other to the hitch and backed up a little so shims could be put in place, again alternating placement. Played around with the jack to get it in the right place, and hooked it up to the pad. Extended the jack til the shims fell out. It was actually faster to do than it sounds.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to All for your suggestions n comments.

Thom n Sue