Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Replacing Leveling System - Options? Bigfoot?

Folks: I hate to start a new thread, but I am looking for advice on a new leveling system for my 2007 Itasca. The Kwikee Level Best is SHOT (see my other thread) and it would likely cost $10k to fix since the parts are old and it needs a pump, hoses, and all 4 legs! Since the controllers are also known to fail, I think it is best that I rip it out and start from scratch.

I am looking at the Bigfoot system now and could likely stop by their shop on my way home from Pennsylvania to Tucson. Any opinions? I am also interested in alternatives....

Bummed in PA,
Doc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #2

geez... I had a leaking leg on one of my jacks and I took it off and a hydraulic shop cleaned it up and rebuilt the seals for around $200... and I'm sure they could do the pump as well if it needed to be done....

I don't have a clue how much a new system is...

Old 06-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #3

You might call HWH and get a price. They are on I-80 in east Iowa. They have always treated us very good.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 06-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a driveway install of a Quadra Big Foot system four years ago. Easy project and not one problem with anything. I opted for the budget system which uses a single pump rather than the pump per cylinder version and manual leveling. System operation is pretty simple to get the coach level manually. Jacks only operate in pairs, front, back, left or right which will keep you out of trouble with potential frame twisting. Found I can level faster manually than my camping buddies can using the auto feature and I don't need to stop all activity in the coach when doing so.

12,000 pound jack.

Manual control panel.

Pump/tank unit. The switch on the tank is an 'All Up' override if the control panel is having problems. Turns the pump on and opens the required valves for a retract.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

Love my Bigfoot system. I have the seperate pump per cylinder system and can pick the coach off the ground-umphh
Old 06-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #6

As Sweetbriar did, I also opted for the budget manual system with the single pump. I chose the tethered box keypad rather then a "fixed" pad.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1466858427.385383.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	131144
System has worked flawless for me, BEST money I have Spent!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #7

We have the separate pump Big Foot system on our 40' Travel Supreme trailer. We have lifted the entire trailer off the ground for tire changes.

Our Bounder has a Power Gear system and we prefer the Big Foot. For one thing the Big Foot uses power retract instead of relying on springs.

The individual pump system costs a little more but you are running wiring to the jack points, not hydraulic hoses.

The service at Quadra is superior. You can call in with a problem on the weekend and get a return call in less than 15 minutes, and the person calling is one of the support supervisors.

When our original system controller was installed, it was on an umbilical cord. Very handy for lining the trailer up for connection. When we upgraded the controller, the new system has a remote fob for raising and lower the trailer for hookup.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Love the power retract feature of the Bigfoot vs. the luck involved in getting the HWH to retract on older systems. After owning both, not much guessing which way I would go with if I had to do a total replacement.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #9

I had a bigfoot automatic system installed at the factory many years ago. They did a nice job and the unit worked very well. I especially liked the big pads.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. My current Kwikee system is entirely full of some kind of particles (grit), no idea where it is from, but I am exhausted of dealing with it. I will call Quadra (Bigfoot) Monday AM to see what they can do. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

The guys at Bigfoot are great people to deal with Doc! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #12

Bigfoot is the way to go! Had it on our previous 5er, now have Lippert on our class A and I am not happy with it.
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #13

FWIW: I tried to work with Lippert and was VERY disappointing. They were not friendly (at all) and not helpful (at all). The cited very high prices for parts for my older system with single line sentences. They acted very much like they did not want to bother with me. I would NOT patronize Lippert, period....
Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #14

UPDATE: Well, I made the plunge. Drove my rig to Michigan and they installed it in one day. I got the automatic leveling system with 4-jacks and the keypad mounted almost in the same location as the Kwikee they removed. Was nearly $5k after taxes and install. I hope it was worth the investment. Sure beats trying to manually level to get my pop-outs out. I am on night 3, happy so far. Two more nights before we get home.

Thanks for the advice, the folks at Quadra were really great to work with!

Tags
leveling