Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Replacing My Original TVs

Hello Everyone,
I have just purchased and driven (from Seattle to Pittsburgh) a 1999 40 ft American Eagle. Truly an experience I will leave for another post. We didn't try to use the original TV's because the prior owner had removed the satellite receiver. I would like to replace the CRT tvs with modest flat screen tvs. I am intimidated about where and how to place/replace the tvs. For instance the original wood cabinet will not fit the dimensions of the flatscreen models. I've seen photos of flat screen in RV's that appear to be affixed to a extendable frame above the driver/navigator seats in the middle-front. I would appreciate your advice or guidance in replacing the tvs without having to hire a coach remodeler. I'm somewhat handy but not very bright sometimes (I tend to jump right in and then realize I'm over my head). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for listening to me.

Mal
mgsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

TV=TV in this post, was confused at first about replacing your Tow Vehicle (TV).
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #3

Remove the wood frame that surrounds the front of the old tube type TV cabinet. Remove old TV, clean up the cabinet by removing unnecessary brackets and such.

Take accurate measurements of the inside opening and outside dimensions of the cabinet. Perhaps make a drawing. Take some pictures. Go to a carpenter and have him cut a 3/8" piece of cabinet plywood (one nice side) that will fit on the inside of the old cabinet front but will allow it to open once hinges are attached. This way you can use the inside of the old cabinet for storage.

Once that's done, add this to the front: Amazon.com: VideoSecu LCD Monitor TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Bracket for most 12"-24", some up to 27" with VESA 100/75mm LED Flat Panel Screen TV ML10B 1E9: Electronics

Have fun. BTW, there are many hardware stores that have pre-cut plywood panels you can pick up. You might need to trim them to fit your particular situation but most people have a circular saw.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I did in the front of my Motor home......

I removed the "Trim" and measured the WIDTH of the opening, bought a new wide screen the same width (I mean EXACTLY the same width)

Removed the old, heavy as @#$#@ CRT job (Took most all my strength, really should have had 2 people) and then got to work.

Loosened the "Floor" of the compartment, scribed a line (level) along the walls from the top of the floor at the back of the compartment to the front edge... Sliced off a pair of triangles One from each side..

Brought the floor back up (now level instead of slanted) and fixed it in place... I won't go into how I treated the outside since that will vary from rig to rig.

Cut down the face trim to match the new compartment size.. It still (For now) Slants down but only the outside trim.

I had to add a strip of black (Gorilla) tape to the bottom of the TV.

Future plans.

I will remove TV, panel the sides so they look good, add a shelf or 2 or 3, use the area behind the TV for storage of CDs DVDs and such.. Move some other electronics to the area now covered by the tape. put a wood panel in there framing the stuff I move into that area.

When done, it should look very professional.. Sure works well, Does not look bad now. (The TV will be mounted on a "Door" of some kind)
Old 08-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsander View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have just purchased and driven (from Seattle to Pittsburgh) a 1999 40 ft American Eagle. Truly an experience I will leave for another post. We didn't try to use the original TV's because the prior owner had removed the satellite receiver. I would like to replace the CRT tvs with modest flat screen tvs. I am intimidated about where and how to place/replace the tvs. For instance the original wood cabinet will not fit the dimensions of the flatscreen models. I've seen photos of flat screen in RV's that appear to be affixed to a extendable frame above the driver/navigator seats in the middle-front. I would appreciate your advice or guidance in replacing the tvs without having to hire a coach remodeler. I'm somewhat handy but not very bright sometimes (I tend to jump right in and then realize I'm over my head). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for listening to me.

Mal
I did exactly that with my front TV. You will probably find a very heavy steel bracket inside the cabinet that was necessary to support the heavy tube TV. In my case it was impossible to remove or cut away parts of this bracket without completely rebuilding the front cabinets. I bolted a couple of 1x3" boards on the right and left inside of the bracket set back about 4-1/2", then screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fill the opening onto the 1x3's on each side. This plywood back plate has a 4x8" opening that allows the cables, power cord, etc to come through. This recessed the TV mount into the opening almost 4". I then lined the entire recessed area on sides and back with black carpet material like you would use in the trunk of a car. When the TV is set back in the recess with the black filling the area above and below, it makes a very clean looking installation. You are going to have empty space top and bottom because most new TV's are wide screen. In my opinion, you need 3/4" plywood so it will be strong enough to support the new TV and mount without a lot of flex.

I found that a 29" TV would fit into the 27" wide opening and used the below articulated mount from Camping World to mount the TV. It has a spring lock that locks the TV in place, or you can swing it out for easier viewing or to connect devices. I did screw a small block to the backing plate on each side at the bottom of the TV so that when it's locked in place for travel it rests against them to keep it from bouncing on the road. I covered the two blocks with the same black material and you can't even see them. The mount works great, sorry I don't have photos of the installation, but here's the mount:

Locking Cantilever Mount - McNaughton 94139 - TV Accessories - Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-Mount.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	70802  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #6

Like many others, I replaced two TV set with modern flat screen sets. Once you get the old set out you have several options. What I did was to build a floor with side braces to hold the new TV. You need to pad the sides to absorb vibrations and snub the edges of the screen to it so the screen won't bounce around when traveling. I also mounted the base that came with the two sets to the bottom of cabinet where the old sets were mounted. Before installing the TVs I sprayed everything inside of the boxes a flat black so that it would not show from the outside. Once the TV was in place, a little bit of custom wood trim made it look as good or better than with the original sets.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I did:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is what I did:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
So did I after seeing Joes TV lift project. I love it. You can see the results toward the end of the thread.

Thanks Joe,
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
So did I after seeing Joes TV lift project. I love it. You can see the results toward the end of the thread.

Thanks Joe,

You're welcome Don! Glad it worked out good for you!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe...Don...LOOKS GREAT!!!
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #11

Joe, you were also my inspiration to do the mod. We also put two recliners across from the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	70926   Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	70927  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Joe, you were also my inspiration to do the mod. We also put two recliners across from the TV.

Great looking installation!