Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Replacing outside TV

Hi all, just venting here.

Took my Tuscany to place of purchase to have outside TV replaced because of a problem with the screen, no problem, the extended warranty covered it.

Picked it up this morning to find the tech did as horrible of a job as one could possibly do. Apparently the lift up door and frame needed to come off for access to remove TV so it was necessary to reseal the frame once put back on. Besides the paint damage along the edges of the frame, the silicone job was about as messy as could be.

Even the service advisor commented how bad it was...and wanted me to return later to have it redone. We took it back the same day and had a pow-wow with the manager who said it would require sending it to an outside body shop for paint repairs.

Dunno what to do but we sure are mad!!!

Every time we take the coach in for any work, we get it back in much worse shape. Is everyone's RV repair experience like this or am I just having a string of bad luck? This is absolutely unacceptable for a $180k coach.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 02:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well look at the good side, they stepped up and are going to fix it.

I always check work before I leave the lot, just to make sure they did it right. If it ain't right, I just turn around and get the service manager on it.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

Replacing outside TV

So who do you blame the tech for poor job skills and just there for a pay check or the service manager who probably could not do the job himself. I had my batteries replaced under warranty, they put the wrong size in and put 2x4's between them. Tech said that's what they told him to do. Dumb and dumber I blow my stack every day I'm quality control for a 100 person business and hear every excuse.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Well in the short term I think I can put the blame on the tech, whether or not he could have done a better job I dunno. This particular dealer does have QC people in place (what I'm told anyways) but this repair slipped through without an inspection. The advisor told me the tech worked on it late the day before to get it done by morning. If I had know what I was going to get I would have told them to leave the new TV in the box and I'd put it in myself. It's not rocket science.

In the bigger picture of things there are probably a lot of people to blame, all the way to the top of management for allowing substandard repairs to be done.

The manager at this place seemed to know what the solution was, I didn't ask him what his past experience was. There were a few things they had damaged the previous repair visit, they broke a kitchen tile (don't ask) and they still don't have the replacements from Thor yet, they will be in trouble if the tiles don't match.

I have been in the automotive repair business for almost 30 years, I'm a tech for a Buick dealer. I could make a ton more money if I would do my job a bit faster and make more careless diagnosis of problems but I can't bring myself to do that, I take pride in having a 100% fixed right the first time track record, doing clean work and when a job is done not being able to tell I had anything apart, it's what I do. It angers me to no end to think about having some unknown person do any work for me, my expectations are higher than most, and even though I try to set the standard when I take my rig in for warranty/extended warranty service it seems I am always disappointed.

I could probably do a world class job of taking care of people's RV needs when I decide to get out of the car business...hmmm (light bulb!).
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
Hi all, just venting here.

Took my Tuscany to place of purchase to have outside TV replaced because of a problem with the screen, no problem, the extended warranty covered it.

Picked it up this morning to find the tech did as horrible of a job as one could possibly do. Apparently the lift up door and frame needed to come off for access to remove TV so it was necessary to reseal the frame once put back on. Besides the paint damage along the edges of the frame, the silicone job was about as messy as could be.

Even the service advisor commented how bad it was...and wanted me to return later to have it redone. We took it back the same day and had a pow-wow with the manager who said it would require sending it to an outside body shop for paint repairs.

Dunno what to do but we sure are mad!!!

Every time we take the coach in for any work, we get it back in much worse shape. Is everyone's RV repair experience like this or am I just having a string of bad luck? This is absolutely unacceptable for a $180k coach.
That's the biggest Reason I will never go to a so called rv repair shop.
I have found it's not rocket science. Sometime you have to do a lot of research but I have always been able to fix what needs fixing.

The RV industry should be ashamed of itself!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good thing Japan does not import RV's
Old 08-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Not much choice in this situation, the selling dealer had some items that they were paying for, and to top the cake we have 5 years of extended warranty that are still valid. I would prefer to do any repairs myself but unfortunately the warranty company won't let me. I do have a connection for a mobile guy that is good, but I had to let the dealer take care of some things first.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #7

Well..... I was waiting for the camping World haters to chime in. Lol

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:08 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
It was not CW.

I am reluctant to disclose what RV dealer did the work, I have already had a different complaint thread removed.

But I guess complaining about CW is ok?

FWIW, we are so angry about the things that have been done to our RV we are considering trying to do an unwind of the deal and force the dealer to get us into something else with the same terms as our original purchase. This is a difficult situation for us, we like our Tuscany, we like the colors, the inside is pristine and has zero odd odors and it has relatively few miles. We have not found another quite like it for what we paid for it. There are a few used Phaetons in the dealer network but they are $30k more and not necessarily in as good of shape as our Tuscany is.

We are trying to be patient and get the items fixed. Not the first time you all have heard that I bet.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe it does not matter where having work done. Just a sign of the times that some people are just not responsible. Son has a 2500 Dodge PU, 2014. Had free oil change done. Day latter, had large oil spot on driveway. He (airplane mechanic) got underneath, and oil plug was ready to fall out. This is a large Dodge dealer, and was surprised this happened. Thought these dealers had "certified" mechanics??
Old 09-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why did they remove your complaint? Doesn't seem fair. Your opinion is your opinion and if they screwed something up folks should know.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Don't know, forum moderator said this site was not the place to discuss grievances with an RV dealer yet I see so many threads doing just that. I did include some names, maybe that was the reason.

So far my dealer has broke a kitchen tile (no replacement has been obtained yet), they completely screwed up the fit and finish of the outside TV door frame (so bad it needs to go to the paint shop), and they also managed to put a ding and some scratches on a compartment door (by accident of course). They have fixed the coach water pump that wouldn't pump water the day after they replaced it, new Sureflo pump failure.

Only the service manager seems to care, maybe because he has to deal with it.

We are using the RV right now, and this morning had the schwintek (sp?) slides for the kitchen not pull it in on one side. Have to find an experienced repair shop for this. Seems I have read about a 3 way rail as the fix. I'll search previous threads, no shortage of discussions about them.

I don't feel comfortable allowing my dealer do the work. It was LaMesa in Phoenix by the way.