So last weekend I replaced the plumbing vents on my 2008 Damon Astoria. When I got up there to do the actual work I was a little shocked at what I found, so I decided to take some pictures and show everyone what I found.
Quick prelude, just bought the RV used from previous owner about a month ago. He stored it outside, only covered by the RV cover. Long story short, the top of the thing got really hot and the plumbing vent covers got brittle and started deteriorating. So I did a quick count to see how many I needed to order. Strange, I thought, there were four on top of my MH, and in strange locations. But who am I to question the builder. So I ordered the four (4) vent covers and two tubes of DiCor.
So I get up there this weekend to start the actual work. When I got the first one off, I was amazed to find no plumbing, but a small tear in the TPO roof lining. The vent was exactly the same as the others, so I am guessing it happened at the factor and they decided to cover it up.
The next two were what I would expect, actual plumbing vents protruding through the roof.
And the last one, to my surprise, no tear, no plumbing vent, just a sticker notifying me that there is a satellite pre-wire located here. So why didn't the people that install the satellite know about this, and use this instead? No clue...
So why did Damon feel it was necessary to install these extra vent covers just to cover a label? Anyways just thought I would share some of this weirdness with the group.
And finally one of the newly installed covers.
All that is left in that picture was to fill in the screw holes with a little DiCor and I was done.
Took me all of 30 minutes to replace four old crumbly plumbing vent covers with new ones. With a metal drywall knife and a bottle of mineral spirits (the real stuff, not the fake stuff they are trying to sell now), I was able to get all of the old DiCor off with little trouble.
While I was up there I also used the mineral spirits to clean off all the other roof penetrations and check for cracks in the old DiCor. Found some more around the vents and sun roof, so I cleaned them up good and re-applied some more DiCor.
Only ended up using one tube of DiCor. So the other is now sitting in the tool box for emergencies.