Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacing power awning a DIY job?

I dorked up my awining on a tree. Is changing out the awning a DIY job? I have the tools and am fairly handy. I think getting it adjusted so it opens and closes and goes down the road without making weird noises could be a challenge.

2005 Discovery 39s Cat C7 330hp, AF1 brakes,
2013 Silverado Crew Cab Toad, Blue Ox Towbar
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I would think you would need a good helper. I have done several fabric replacements and had my wife help some what. I won't let her on the ladder. If I fall, I still get fed. If she falls, I don't eat. Depending on what awning you have, you may find a video showing how to replace yours. If you can take it off, you can probably put one back on. Maybe you can just replace the bent parts. Google rv salvage parts.

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Definitely would have a helper if there's any way to get one. If not, I'd try it myself, but I have a big barn with overhead trusses where I can hang the awning from while I jack it slowly into place. I suppose it could also be done if you could place a ladder fore and aft against the side of the rig, and pull the awning slowly up the ladder until it's in position. I don't know how your upper part of the fabric attaches to the rig. If you have the flex metal sun shade I'd think you could put a slat or two on the side of the rig and then slide a closing slat after the awning body was up. If the fabric just slides into the piece on your rig, I'd think of putting the body of the awning up first then add the fabric later. All depends on how you're set up. I get a kick out of doing jobs like that, but others are horrified about even thinking about it. Good luck.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
I've replaced the fabric on 2 units and have done some specific repair on a couple of others... I'd say if you have a simple understanding of tools and electrical circuits this should be no problem... but you will need a helper..

I don't know how badly you crunched it... but you might find its more cost effective to repair it than a complete replacement...
Retired Business Owner, Re-manufacturing HD Clutches, Brake Shoes, Air Compressors, Sales & Installation of PacBrake and other Industrial Friction
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by jelag View Post

I don't know how badly you crunched it... but you might find its more cost effective to repair it than a complete replacement...
Well, I ripped the metal cover that goes over the top so that would need to be totally replaced, and I bent the drum that the fabric rolls up on, so that would need to be replaced. I don't think I damaged the fabric or the arms.

I'll call dometic and see if they have parts.

Thank you
2005 Discovery 39s Cat C7 330hp, AF1 brakes,
2013 Silverado Crew Cab Toad, Blue Ox Towbar
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
If it's the tube you need to replace, I think this is a DIY job and you should be able to do it alone. Are your arms adjustable or fixed height? If fixed, it'll be a little trickier and you may need a helper.

There aren't any springs in the tube for a power awning, so it doesn't weigh much. Get the old fabric out first. I suggest you mark the location of the slots on the existing tube relative to the heads so you can index the new tube to the same position.

If you can extend the awning with the damage, you'll have plenty of room to undo the tube from the motor head and idler head. There's enough play in the arms with them extended to just slide the heads off the tube. If the arms won't extend because of the damage, I think you could probably still work the tube out of the heads and you have no need to worry about hurting the tube.

Once the damaged tube is out, if not yet extended, run the arms out and then install the new tube. Two step ladders, one on each end, can hold the tube near the heads. Put one end in, hold it in place with a bungee, clamp, or whatever. Move to the other end and do the same. Once the tube is back in the heads, fasten it back together and the slide the fabric back into place. Before you reinstall the screws that lock the fabric into the rail on the wall, run the awning fully out and back in a few times. The awning should center up on the rail so it runs in and out straight and then you can screw it into place to hold it there.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Check out the RV Geeks for this one...

Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

awning, power