Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Replacing Queen mattress

Hi, our old mattress needs replacing. We have been begun researching alternatives, and wonder if there is any need/value in looking for an "RV mattress" from Campingworld, eg., or in just going to a "matress discounters" type place and looking for the best price. (?)

We are also wondering whether a standard coils type mattress will fit through the front door and into the bedroom, etc. Anyone out there have any experiences with all this that they could pass on to us? thanks!

2013 Monaco Monarch
V-10 Triton gas
donschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't do sleep by # just a big spit air bag that is over priced!!!

teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Get a memory foam from wall mart. It will make any mattress feel like new
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Entegra Owners Club
I agree with MKnight. Forget about the sleep number bed unless your want to reset every evening on the road--temp and altitude. We went with the memory foam and have been very happy. Just put it on top of what your have now. No problem getting through the front door.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
We bought a Serta RV mattress and have been very pleased with it. My DW gets overheated on memory foam so that wasn't an option. Serta Rv Mattresses
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Memory Foam

We put a memory foam topper on ours too. When it's hot the foam retains heat and makes it seem even hotter.

I've read that a memory foam mattress with a pillow-top works pretty well for most folks.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Try Overstock.com. We bought an RV queen memory foam mattress and loved it so much we ended up getting one for home too. The new memory foams are cooler and you can also get gel infused.
Cara, Carl and the Twinkies
'08 Keystone Hornet 31DBDS
Permanent Site - Lake Erie
cdstrohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting article here on the side effects of a memory foam. Had one fro over 4 years now and we do not have an issue with them.

Sex or Sleep? - Yahoo! Finance

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a new mattress from Angel Beds for our MH and love it. We also put one in our 5th wheel so the current one is our second.
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
Towing a 2014 Jeep Rubicon 4 Door with a Can Am Maverick XRS 1000 SXS behind the Jeep.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to disagree with the statements about Sleep Number. I have had sleep number beds in my last two Moter Homes and have never had a problem with either one. I also have one in my home. I would not own anything else. The one at home is ten years old.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
When we replaced the mattress at home a couple of years ago we also made a deal for the exact same mattress in Queen for the trailer. Other than width we now sleep exactly the same in both places. Best thing we ever did as far as sleeping is concerned.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To answer the original question, there is no need for an "RV" mattress unless you have an oddball size - which many Rvs seem to have. For example, an RV queen is often 6" shorter than a standard queen. Even then, you may be able to get a local mattress company to make you one for less than CW sells it, and get more choice of fabrics and firmness. We had a short queen made several years ago at a local place and the price was half what the RV stores were asking.

In this coach we have an air bed, but not one from Sleep Number . Ours is an Americana and the only time we adjust it is for our comfort, not because we drove to another campground or the weather changed. It takes 4 or 5 thousand feet of altitude or 30-40 degrees of temperature change to have much effect on them.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I hate the memory foam, always end up with my ass higher than my head, the i start speaking in tongues and its just not good.

Our previos rv had a short queen, had to to go to camping world for sheets. Current bus has a normal queen, sheets from target fit fine.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
we have a good quality house queen...it fit fine through our frt door and fits fine on the bed

96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote