Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Replacing Radiator, 1990 Southwind, P37 Chassis

My trusty 1990 28' Southwind is still runs great and I have kept it going for the last 20+ years. Over the last 5 years or so, it has been running hotter and hotter during hill climbing or when pulling a load. I have read numerous blogs and forums about now to fix this problem but now the radiator has a fairly significant leak and will need to be repaired/replaced.

I am going to try the replacement myself and just need a few tips on how to get started and any things to watch out for. Don't need the obvious step-by-step stuff. It looks like the front will have to be jacked up to drop the radiator out the bottom The transmission cooler will have to be detached along with the other obvious stuff like the electric fans, hoses, shroud, etc. It looks like the transmission cooler has enough flex in the hoses to just hinge forward to clear the radiator.

Now that I have it out, should I get a new one? Get it rodded out and repaired? Or, buy an expensive replacement with more cores, etc. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbevan View Post
My trusty 1990 28' Southwind is still runs great and I have kept it going for the last 20+ years. Over the last 5 years or so, it has been running hotter and hotter during hill climbing or when pulling a load. I have read numerous blogs and forums about now to fix this problem but now the radiator has a fairly significant leak and will need to be repaired/replaced.

I am going to try the replacement myself and just need a few tips on how to get started and any things to watch out for. Don't need the obvious step-by-step stuff. It looks like the front will have to be jacked up to drop the radiator out the bottom The transmission cooler will have to be detached along with the other obvious stuff like the electric fans, hoses, shroud, etc. It looks like the transmission cooler has enough flex in the hoses to just hinge forward to clear the radiator.

Now that I have it out, should I get a new one? Get it rodded out and repaired? Or, buy an expensive replacement with more cores, etc. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Assuming the top and bottom "caps" are servicable, a good radiator shop should be able to replace the "core" section with a new core. I would'nt think your 20+ year old core is worth "patching", especially since you're already experiencing reduced cooling efficiency.

FWIW, when searching for parts.....you have a GM P-32 chassis. There never was a "P37". You may see P37 as part of your vin # sequence, but your chassis model # is P3**32. Read as P32, because the first three digits (after the P) are code for the chassis Wheel Base length.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

My VIN # is *1GBKP37N4L3300798.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbevan View Post
My VIN # is *1GBKP37N4L3300798.
bgbevan: FYI,
1GB= World Make Identifier for GM
K= GVW range of 14,001 to 16,000 lbs with HYD. brakes
P= Forward control & 4 x 2 chassis type
3= P42 and P32 chassis code for years prior to 2001
7= Motor Home chassis- (as opposed to a commercial or step van)
N= Engine code ( but my info does not include "which" engine that is )
4= Check Digit
L= model year code

the remaining digits are the "serial number"

Hope this helps.
Ed

Tags
chassis, radiator, southwind