Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #15

There is another option ......keep the existing fridge but do away with the Norcold problems. Installing an Amish Cooling Unit .... the owner of the company is extremely helpful to talk to. Their website is below. (this eliminates the fire hazard of factory Norcold units ...... it is bulletproof and more efficient than stock ..... it is not as efficient as a residential .... it is more affordable however and requires no alterations to make it fit)

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
There is another option ......keep the existing fridge but do away with the Norcold problems. Installing an Amish Cooling Unit .... the owner of the company is extremely helpful to talk to. Their website is below. (this eliminates the fire hazard of factory Norcold units ...... it is bulletproof and more efficient than stock ..... it is not as efficient as a residential .... it is more affordable however and requires no alterations to make it fit)

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
We went through that process with our previous Winnebago but it was a mixed bag. Placement of the refer, air flow around it and use of cooling fans are critical. In my case, the Amish Cooling Unit did better but not enough to rely on in hot weather. I think we had too much dead space and we couldn't get proper air flow over the coils.

If a Norcold was working well before it quit, it is reasonable to believe an Amish unit will work better and remove the fire starting issues. If it wasn't working well then unless the other issues are solved, I don't think it is worth it.

I do agree that David is fantastic at customer support.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #17

Probably got mentioned [sorry if I missed it] but in addition to the MSW Vs SW inverter issue, you need to consider your overall camping habits. A residential frid will work fine for boon-docking but you probably need a min of 6-six volt bats in your house bank. In any case, you can expect to use more genset time while boon-docking, unless you are using multi-numbers of solar panels.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we considered replacing the cooling unit with the amish one.
But this would have been number three for cooling units
and this past summer on our trip we sure wanted ice cream....

plus a bigger freezer for provsions without a deep freeze in the basement
so we tossed it all around and went with what provide most of our answers

funny thing is i have rvs since 1996, never had a fridge issue until this norcold 1200 model?
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Before I made the change to the Samsung unit, I purchased the Amish Cooling unit, it is expensive, well built. It seemed to work well for about 4 months in the spring. Summer heat and it failed.
Be very careful! Have one of their "approved installers" inspect your Norcold and guarantee the fix. I didn't and it cost me over $2,000 for my mistake. Then I bought the Samsung.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #20

I wonder why Samsung has not come up with a "RV Replacement unit" with all of the RV specific items such as door latches.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Probably got mentioned [sorry if I missed it] but in addition to the MSW Vs SW inverter issue, you need to consider your overall camping habits. A residential frid will work fine for boon-docking but you probably need a min of 6-six volt bats in your house bank. In any case, you can expect to use more genset time while boon-docking, unless you are using multi-numbers of solar panels.....
.the MSW vs SW concern is not an issue with the Samsung . I am running it on four 6v. Wet cell batts with 480 watts of solar (4 panels) and I rarely run the genset. The frig is a consistent 38 degrees and the freezer is glacier cold. I did not buy any ice all last summer ... Not even for beer! I couldn't be more pleased and the DW is even happier!

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote