Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #29
Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stearn View Post
How big of a job is it to replace a jack? Is the pressure released when jacks are up?
It is not a big job if you are mechanically inclined and do your own service on your rig such as air filter, lube, trans filters, etc. The biggest issue with HWH jacks is the access. You have to work under the rid in tight conditions and tight angles. It is not easy if you don't have a rig lift. I did my work on a gravel parking pad. While a gravel pad is not the best place to work - in this case it help in that removing the jacks from the bracket require you to dig a little hole to get them out once the plates are removed. There is no pressure in the system when the jacks are up. You will loose a little bit of hydro fluid when you remove the hose - make sure you have a couple quarts of the HWH hydro fluid when you do the job - which can be purchases at several places such as Camping World. If want to do the job, pm me and I will send you the instructions that I received from a very nice gent here on IRV2. Also, you do not need to bleed them. My jacks came back full of fluid, but quite a bit leaked out since HWH used cheesy plastic caps instead of brass - this caused some worry - but then the self bleeding system on the HWH worked great - impressive actually- so the jacks worked right away after one test run. BTW, I have only done the 2 front jacks so far. I need to do the rear jacks too, but that project will have to await till fall or next spring. With the rebuild and the new springs, they work just like new!

02 Itasca Horizon 34HD FL XC Chassis/CAT 3126 330HP, 05 Explorer, Falcon II bar, ReadyBreak.
Toys: 6x12 enclosed, YZ250FX, YZ250, KTM250XC, XR80, Regal LSR 2100
jhanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #30
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post
Had one break so I decided to replace them all. Ordered them from Lichtsinn and stopped by my local mechanic. Today he got under the rig with hook nose pliers (big ones) pulled the old ones off, put a bottle jack under the pad and pulled the new ones back on. 1/2 hr job!
You really do not need a jack on the front springs. I had a friend replace mine for me. He crawled under the MH with both springs crawled back out less than ten minutes later. I asked him if he was going to do the other side and he had already done both of them.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #31
Commercial Member
007 and bluegrasser have it right. if you cant push the jack up with your hand, the cylinder should be replaced.
as bluegrasser said, if the leak is at the top of the jack, it is a fitting, if its at the bottom, its a seal. if there is a plug or a pressure switch at the bottom of the jack, check these also.
in any case, if needed, replace the cylinder only, not the complete jack assembly.
if you have the time, send your cylinder in to be repaired. its much cheaper.
if any one has had a cylinder repaired at a local hydraulic shop, please post it here
. i havent seen any one do that. i would love to be able to recommend a local shop.
hwh provides a one year parts and labor warranty with every repair. most local shops dont do that.
im not disparaging local shops. i also run a local shop.
almost all local shops do excellent work, its just that i know what the hwh factory does.
please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638. i do work for hwh. maybe i can help.

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote